Moving a no. 10 to Striker

I've been playing an attacking 4-2-3-1 with a pretty traditional number 10, Luiz Paulo in the Trequartista role. However, the lack of a solid midfield three and cover down the flanks, has led to some struggles in the Champions League. So I've recently created a new tactic, a 4-1-4-1, which is a lot more defensively solid. It's based around combination play in the half-spaces and wide areas before providing cutbacks to either the striker or the opposite winger. However, as it has no creative attacking midfielder role, I've struggled to find a good role for Luiz. I've been playing him as a Complete Forward - Support, however his output has been mediocre at best. Does anyone know the best role to get the most out of him, or even if he'd be better in a different position?

It depends on the other roles, I'd advise you to post your formation/tactics. However, when I play the 4-1-4-1 I normally use my lone forward as a Trequartista. Seems to get more involved, provides assists and is very unpredictable, as he's always seeking space.

1 hour ago, lferreira said:

I'd advise you to post your formation/tactics

He did post them (albeit via links). 

1 hour ago, scorpionis1 said:

I've been playing an attacking 4-2-3-1 with a pretty traditional number 10, Luiz Paulo in the Trequartista role. However, the lack of a solid midfield three and cover down the flanks, has led to some struggles in the Champions League. So I've recently created a new tactic, a 4-1-4-1, which is a lot more defensively solid. It's based around combination play in the half-spaces and wide areas before providing cutbacks to either the striker or the opposite winger. However, as it has no creative attacking midfielder role, I've struggled to find a good role for Luiz. I've been playing him as a Complete Forward - Support, however his output has been mediocre at best. Does anyone know the best role to get the most out of him, or even if he'd be better in a different position?

Both your tactics - 4231 and 4141 - need a lot of changes if you ask me. But let's concentrate on your 4141 tactic at the moment, as that's the one you are struggling more with.

The first thing is - one-dimensionality of the setup of roles and duties. There is absolutely no difference between the left and right half - the same combo on both flanks (WBat / IWat) and both CMs as carrileros. It makes your attacks too predictable and hence easier for the opposition to defend (btw, one-dimensionality is a tactical mistake that most people make).

But potentially an even bigger problem is its defensive vulnerability, especially on the flanks. With all wide players on attack duty, you are literally asking for trouble and encouraging the opposition to counter-attack you from there. And then your attacking mentality - coupled with your inherently risky defensive instructions - makes it even worse. Also, when it comes to defensive (out-of-possession) instructions, the Prevent short GKD makes no sense in such a bottom-heavy system as 4141.

Therefore, before we get to the question of your lone striker's optimal role, you first need to address these defensive issues as well as that of one-dimensionality of roles and duties. 

Speaking of Luiz Paulo's potentially best role as the lone striker, I can agree with @lferreira on trequartista, given his player profile. But that alone is not going to solve your tactical problems, because CF is also a good role that he can successfully play considering his attributes, but only if the tactic as a whole is made more balanced and sensible.

Now, if you would like me to give you an example of a good/decent/well-balanced 4141 setup, you are welcome :thup:

Saw the tactics now. Consider a few things:

WB-At will cross a lot. You have two of them. Who's going to be at the end of those crosses? Your striker has poor jumping reach. CARs won't get into the box that often. At best, your other IW will attack the far post, but how regularly are you going to score?

A Treq would go a long way, but I think two CARs is overkill. Protect your defence with an Anchorman and look for better passing play from midfield. A RPM works wonders, have a winger and an IW out wide and a late runner from midfield - CM-Su/At, IWB-Su. I usually play a winger on attack with a FB-Su behind and on the other flank a WB-Su behind a IW-Su. 

Now you have two roaming creative roles running around with lots of passing options in wide areas of the pitch and recycling options (CM-Su, Anchorman, who will be in front of your defenders but become a deeper passing option in case your attack breaks up, FB-Su). With the right defensive settings for this formation (cough, regroup, cough) you should have some solidity when you lose the ball.

Archived