TRANSFER/START OF SEASON MEETINGS

mark davis

I like this idea a lot.  This could potentially lead to a higher immersion value towards the end of the season. It should ideally happen within the last month of the season when staff have an End of the Season review. 

This is where one session where we can ask for recommendations from the Analyst team to look at how we have played in the season, to collate information that should already by in the game:

1. Player who made the most mistakes, the most consistent
2. Our performances with different tactical systems
3. Top youngsters in the junior team who have consistently done well in training and in matches
4. Analysts can take a look at the system we are playing and identify patterns. For example:
- When using formation A, we had  X number of shots inside the area that were not from set pieces 
- When using formation A, we had Y number of shots from outside the area that were not from set pieces
- Number of chances from a central area inside the penalty area.

We can divide the pitch into zones, and designate the zones as letters, and analysts can identify which zones we were most successful at recovering (interceptions/tackles) which zones had the highest penetration from.

At the moment all this information is already in the game. I just happen to do it every season on my own, by  going each match one by one and then just going to an excel spreadsheet to stick those values in. For one thing it makes the entire tactical process so easy. When assessing our sides effectiveness I can based on this information draw conclusions, and make the necessary transfer decisions if needed. Once i realised i was pretty good at getting attempts and controlling the final third. However the lack of an attacking presence meant we weren't really taking advantage of all that. A signing helped me.

The information in itself won't tell you to go sign someone, it should just be there, waiting for someone who's willing to put in a bit of effort.

I think the idea of having a post season meeting would go very well into this. In fact at the moment these match briefings we have leading up to matches can somehow be linked into this. I hope someone considers these ideas. 

vor 21 Stunden schrieb mark davis:

Hi

My suggestion for a new features is the introduction of Transfer/Expectation Meeting to be conducted at the Start of season in January and at the End of the season.  

WHY DO WE NEED THIS ?

The rationale behind this comes from watching how Marcel Brands and Marco Silva at Everton are structuring there transfer activity and strategy and how that translates into which players they buy and why they are buying them. At present in the game the D.O.F and Chief Scout roles don't reflect how clubs operate. Plus there is no effective assessment of how well you are performing in the transfer market or how your strategy/tactics and players are performing in your system. I feel more and more owners going forward will not simply gave the manager an open cheque book without a clear form of measurement of performance regardless of whether you use a D.O.F or not.

HOW TO DO IT 

When taking over at a new club for the first time the following could happen after assessing your squad.

* Agree preferred formation with D.O.F or Owner ( if the club has agreed to hire you ie start of a new save they should be prepared to back you and your system)

That would be too detailed, too rigid for me. When I take over at a new club, I have an idea in my mind how to play. This level is already discussed in FM with the board: attacking, possession, defensive style. The preferred formation in which this idea is to be implemented should be the manager's "autonomy". In addition, I may experiment with several formations in the beginning. So what happens at a meeting like this if I can't name a preferred formation or a wrong one? Perhaps there should be such a meeting for the planning of the second season. 

In FM19 I personally play something simillar to Directors Challange as I believe that in real life transfers are made by DOF, but I am quite an experienced player. For beginners this would be something discouraging from playing, because the most fun part of playing managerial game is to make things differently than your team is doing in reality especially with transfers. So i guess new players to FM would like to make transfers by their own. However if there would be an option to play with DOF working as in real life I would be very happy.

Interesting concept. I worry this could become too rigid, but I do think some tweaks should be made in this area. 

I've long thought there should be a more proper financial analysis of your transfer/wage dealings, and I think this would tie in nicely to a real board review of your work. I tend to check the board and fan responses to my transfers in that window deep in the board confidence menu, but unfortunately the info can at times seem completely illogical.

To that end it would be cool to negotiate with your board more regarding desired signings and budget increases - say a scout reports you should sign a player "whatever the cost," you should be able to introduce him to the discussion in which you request an increased budget to accommodate the deal. If the scout has good determination or data presentation or whatever he could help pitch the idea through.

In a more general sense, there also needs to be a coherent way to allow future deals to come out of future budgets, yet the board seems completely disconnected with this reality at present.

• 11 months later...