Effect of touchline shouts

I understand that touchline shouts can confer a very small bonus/penalty to your players when shouted in the right/wrong situations.

However, my question is whether shouts can have lingering effects after the match.  Let me explain...

I am usually playing an amateur side so I constantly have to worry about players leaving whenever they want.  One of the tools I can use to combat this is by trying to win them over and making myself one of the their favored personnel.  I will praise individuals for good practices and performances and criticize them when necessary as long as I think I can get a positive reaction and earn their respect.

I have been using touchline shouts similarly by shouting praise to individuals for goals and assists, saved penalties, etc.  Does using shouts in this way influence the players overall attitude toward me, or does it only affect their performance during the match?

I am sure that someone in the know will confirm this, but I would have thought that any impact from touchline shouts would be limited to the field of play and would not therefore be carried forward.  Praise or criticism given after the game would have an effect

57 minutes ago, USASoundersFan said:

Team talks too? Then why would we ever talk to the team after a match?

I can see if maybe the pre- and half-time team talks only influence the match.  But I agree, the post-game talks have to do something else.  Players often show positive or negative reactions to it in their statuses outside of the match.  I'm assuming this is increasing/decreasing their favoritism towards me.

But for the shouts - that's what I figured.  I won't change the way I've been doing it because the shouts seem beneficial in-match, but I was just hoping that I might have been able to influence a players attitude toward me a little bit extra.

I just want to be loved! (and not have my amateur players leave on a whim)

Team talks definitely have a rolling effect. For example i used to encounter the problem of when you were top of the league, playing vs bottom, and you would lose 1-0 every time. I changed my style and every match before playing a team in the relegation zone im harsh in the team talks. I could be top, beat 2nd away from home 5-0, and still say either not happy or dont be complacent. Never lost to bottom of the league since, well rarely, and most of the time i give them the smashing i should. 

On 05/09/2019 at 07:01, Powermonger said:

Sideline shouts and team talks have no bearing outside of match day from my understanding. @Rashidi Did a video about this a few months ago and stated the same. 

I never said no, I said the effect of tactical changes is greater than the effect of sideline shouts and teamtalks. The effect of teamtalks to me is lower than that of sideline shouts.  And both are lower than tactical changes.

Do I depend on them? Not really. The only sideline shouts I would use are demand more and concentrate. I hardly use any of the others.

2 hours ago, Rashidi said:

I never said no, I said the effect of tactical changes is greater than the effect of sideline shouts and teamtalks. The effect of teamtalks to me is lower than that of sideline shouts.  And both are lower than tactical changes.

Do I depend on them? Not really. The only sideline shouts I would use are demand more and concentrate. I hardly use any of the others.

Follow-up question on this one.

Every time I've shouted "concentrate" I've seen a negative reaction (overwhelmed) or no reaction. I've never seen a positive reaction. So, can you give any guidance on when to use this particular shout? :) Thanks.

1 hour ago, Lord Rowell said:

Every time I've shouted "concentrate" I've seen a negative reaction (overwhelmed) or no reaction. I've never seen a positive reaction. So, can you give any guidance on when to use this particular shout? :) Thanks.

When do you typically use it?  Is it at any different times to those described in the guide I linked above?

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

When do you typically use it?  Is it at any different times to those described in the guide I linked above?

Concentrate - Remind your players to stay switched on and focused on the task at hand.  Try to refocus players looking uninterested or complacent.

Re. the part of your guide, I haven't done this (I used "demand more" - btw I think that's missing from your guide?) - so I'll give this a bash.

I've used "concentrate" when, for example, we've scored and I want them to keep focused. Also I've used it towards the end of a match i.e. final mins if we're defending a slender lead. Actually haven't conceded when I've done this, but maybe that's more fluke! ;)

3 minutes ago, Lord Rowell said:

Concentrate - Remind your players to stay switched on and focused on the task at hand.  Try to refocus players looking uninterested or complacent.

Re. the part of your guide, I haven't done this (I used "demand more" - btw I think that's missing from your guide?) - so I'll give this a bash.

I've used "concentrate" when, for example, we've scored and I want them to keep focused. Also I've used it towards the end of a match i.e. final mins if we're defending a slender lead. Actually haven't conceded when I've done this, but maybe that's more fluke! ;)

Yeh I think this is perhaps the wider issue - these shouts are contextual but we don't always understand the context, so we apply what seems like a common sense approach only to sometimes get unexpected reactions.  So in your example, "Concentrate" after you've scored seems like a reasonable thing to do ("guys good job but re-focus, we don't want to concede quickly and there's a long way to go in the match yet") but in actual fact "Concentrate" is more applicable if your players are complacent, which again is a reasonable thing to shout.

23 hours ago, Lord Rowell said:

Leading with 10 minutes to go, I usually combine this with team instructions that encourage better use of the ball. For eg, if I have pass into space I remove it. I do see it working. The only shout I am vary about Imho is "be more passionate" or something to that effect, it can go sideways. So was it the team instructions or the shout "concentrate", I would rather hope its a combination of both.

Archived