FM19 Keep Conceding Straight After Scoring

Hi FM forum,

Having a big problem conceding directly after scoring in my Union Berlin save. It has become very frustrating. Usually we concede within 2-3 minutes of scoring ourselves and I have noticed it is becoming more and more common in recent times. This is the tactic I am using, any help would be greatly appreciated :D

2019-09-08 (2).png

2019-09-08 (3).png

2019-09-08.png

2019-09-08 (1).png

Don't be afraid to make slight changes after you score. You will not break your tactic with dropping your mentality down a notch or changing a few duties to more conservative ones.

• Overlaps - increase WB's individual mentality even further (they're already on Attack duty)
  • Counter-Press - team can get caught out if they don't successfully win the ball back immediately (quite risky late in the game, when your team begins to tire)
  • Counter - once you win the ball, most of your team will look to immediately transition into attack instead of keeping their defensive structure (makes little sense if you're already in the lead)
  • Positive mentality + Much Higher Defensive Line = a very high defensive line (unless your defenders are pacey, they can get exposed by a ball over the top very easily)

These are some of the instructions I would definitely look to change once I was happy with the lead. Teams will adapt and become more attacking or defensive depending on the result and their pre-match expectation. Unless your players are much better than the rest, your very offensive tactic going against a very offensive AI, that's chasing the result, will always be risky.

As soon as you score use a touchline shout such as "Demand More" or "Praise" (if you've just gone 2+ goals up).  Don't wait for the replay of the goal or kick off as it'll be too late for the shout to have an affect - as soon as the ball hits the back of the net during the live match press Pause and then make the shout.

Since I started doing that I hardly ever see any highlights for the opposition straight after I score.  Anecdotal perhaps so I'd be interested in anyone else's results if they try it.

You use counter press, playing with a much higher d-line and LOE on a positive mentality coupled with extremely high tempo and pass into space.

You're going gung-ho and if you're not conceding on kick off, I'd say the opposition is just exploring all that space. This is just the AI reacting and your setup being very risky.

Anyway, after scoring I always tell me players to concentrate (before the replay). It helps and I've kept like 10+ clean sheets in 26 matches or so with a pretty average team.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of good advice in this thread, but the first thing I'd suggest would be to actually go back and analyse your results to see if you really do concede regularly after scoring. It might seem like every time but only happens a few times a season, but it sticks in your mind due to confirmation bias.

Archived