Football Manager 2020 - Feature Announcement Blogs

10 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

an IW is more of a creator half space operator that can go wide or stay in the half space.. I think both roles (IF and IW) can start wide and drift inside, one attacks the other creates.

That is how I envisage the IW as well. However I am hoping his off the ball position will often be in the half space already instead of starting from the sideline. Much like Ziyech plays at Ajax. 

The differences between IF (s) , IW and Advanced playmaker on the wing might just need better clarifying in terms of on and off the ball positioning/movement. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Will there be touch maps for individual players in FM20

Actually seasonal shot Maps would be a great Addition, however that would likely require too much Memory /processing power considering the amount of Players in a save.... Still, I've lost Count how often a Player would argue his Forward were not scoring more, when it's obvious even Looking at simple seasonal shot data that he couldN't possibly score much more, or he'd be an Alien. (E.g. the shots per 90 minutes columns, which are fairly hidden, displaying numbers of 2 shots at best).

Plus whilst Talking About all These useful Tools; if the AI or any of your assistants couldN't use them, it'd be just another Edge. :( 

One thing I saw last night on a video that I don't think's been mentioned, is that under player analysis you can see the runs off the ball the players make during a game now, the youtuber showed it as a team & quite briefly so I hope you can individually pick a player out so you can really focus on a role  

24 minutes ago, Svenc said:

Actually seasonal shot Maps would be a great Addition, however that would likely require too much Memory /processing power considering the amount of Players in a save.... Still, I've lost Count how often a Player would argue his Forward were not scoring more, when it's obvious even Looking at simple seasonal shot data that he couldN't possibly score much more, or he'd be an Alien. (E.g. the shots per 90 minutes columns, which are fairly hidden, displaying numbers of 2 shots at best).

Plus whilst Talking About all These useful Tools; if the AI or any of your assistants couldN't use them, it'd be just another Edge. :( 

The touch maps I was thinking about would be like you see on MOTD

Out of interest, hopefully a dev can answer this:

Will FM2020 be able to implement the new laws and how the referees enforce them?

Will we see short goalkicks being possible now? With defenders coming into the box to collect, now that the ball is in play when it is kicked and moved, rather than needing to go outside of the box?

Will the game be handling handball and wider interpretation of it? For example, will it be able to identify a handling offence due to possession changing and a promising attack starting from it? Will it be able to differentiate that from an accidental handball where possession changes, which wouldn't be penalised? As of FM19 I know the game still incorrectly gives indirect freekicks for some handling offences, I'm pretty sure I raised it in the bugs forums and the answer to that was it was a technical limitation of the engine.

Will we see more drop-balls? Now that they're uncontested, I'd like to see referees in the game using them more freely, in particular for when they need to stop play for an injury - less need to wait for the player to kick the ball out of play now, because the referee can stop play and the drop ball would go to the team who touched it last (invariably the team who had possession of the ball). And will they be implemented correctly - i.e. When drop ball occurs the team carries on directly where they left off, no need to play the ball back to the opposition.

Will we see the possibility of the ball hitting the officials? I assume not. But, if so, will it match with the drop ball implementation above.

Will we see enforcement of the new penalty kick guidelines for goalkeepers (i.e. one foot on/in line with the goal line until the ball is kicked) or will we be "overlooking" it until next season? :P

Will we see enforcement of the substitutions must leave at the nearest touchline law? 

And out of interest, does each country have it's own official refereeing style? For example, the UK being more physical tends to allow more smaller minor fouls to go, whereas the continental refereeing style has been more liberal on its views on handling offences. Things like that, is that already the case, or is this too much of a hassle? Carrying on in this line of thought, will we see VAR implemented differently, for example, will we see England refuse to use it properly (hah) by having a high bar for overturning decisions, compared again, to elsewhere which are not so concerned with setting a high restriction?

Just out of interest.

53 minutes ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

Will FM2020 be able to implement the new laws and how the referees enforce them?

Will we see short goalkicks being possible now? With defenders coming into the box to collect, now that the ball is in play when it is kicked and moved, rather than needing to go outside of the box?

Will the game be handling handball and wider interpretation of it? For example, will it be able to identify a handling offence due to possession changing and a promising attack starting from it? Will it be able to differentiate that from an accidental handball where possession changes, which wouldn't be penalised? As of FM19 I know the game still incorrectly gives indirect freekicks for some handling offences, I'm pretty sure I raised it in the bugs forums and the answer to that was it was a technical limitation of the engine.

Will we see more drop-balls? Now that they're uncontested, I'd like to see referees in the game using them more freely, in particular for when they need to stop play for an injury - less need to wait for the player to kick the ball out of play now, because the referee can stop play and the drop ball would go to the team who touched it last (invariably the team who had possession of the ball). And will they be implemented correctly - i.e. When drop ball occurs the team carries on directly where they left off, no need to play the ball back to the opposition.

Will we see the possibility of the ball hitting the officials? I assume not. But, if so, will it match with the drop ball implementation above.

Will we see enforcement of the new penalty kick guidelines for goalkeepers (i.e. one foot on/in line with the goal line until the ball is kicked) or will we be "overlooking" it until next season? :P

Will we see enforcement of the substitutions must leave at the nearest touchline law? 

And out of interest, does each country have it's own official refereeing style? For example, the UK being more physical tends to allow more smaller minor fouls to go, whereas the continental refereeing style has been more liberal on its views on handling offences. Things like that, is that already the case, or is this too much of a hassle? Carrying on in this line of thought, will we see VAR implemented differently, for example, will we see England refuse to use it properly (hah) by having a high bar for overturning decisions, compared again, to elsewhere which are not so concerned with setting a high restriction?

Just out of interest.

Your asking way to much I think

2 hours ago, Rashidi said:

To add on to this, the IW is most likely meant to play with options that are different to the winger. While a winger is primarily a flank player, and an IF is more or an attacking goalscorer arriving from wider positions, an IW is more of a creator half space operator that can go wide or stay in the half space but he won't be running down the byeline. Instead he may play a lot more like Leroy Sane as opposed to Mo Salah. Its a role that we have needed, I was using a W(S) playing on the opposite foot with traits in FM19 to achieve this affect, now we probably have a role that doesn't need silly tweaks. I will have an IW guide coming out when the beta launches. It's not a hard role to envisage and my videos now tend to get shorter as I grow older. I think both roles (IF and IW) can start wide and drift inside, one attacks the other creates.

Well this is weird then, as the Inside Forward has more Risky passes hardcoded in whilst the Inverted Winger doesn’t*. Other roles that have more Risky passes hardcoded are AP, T and DLF IIRC. Maybe others. So to me this sounds like the game “sees” the Inside Forward more of a creator than the Inverted Winger.

*This is based on the info we’ve got in FM19.

Edited by Armistice

Another video from Lollujo, he has a look at the tactics creator, he's self admittedly no tactical genius but a good vid. Shows wear on the pitch, 'keepers during a penalty, wish he'd show more than key highlights though 

1 hour ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

I can't say on the other ones, but this one is definitely implemented. It's explained in this blog and the last screenshot also shows it :)

3 hours ago, Rashidi said:

IW is more of a creator half space operator that can go wide or stay in the half space but he won't be running down the byeline. Instead he may play a lot more like Leroy Sane as opposed to Mo Salah

Confused on this a little or maybe took it too literate. Sane likes to get to the byline and then either skill his way through or cross but he cuts in from a wide position- Is that essentially the IW or IF? 

Appose to salah who gets into goal scoring positions (as he's narrow)/ moving into striker positions- IF more so than IW right?

Just to clarify the likes of bernardo silva and david silva whom are like playmakers but wide would suit the IW? So to speak of more creativity rather than goal scoring threat? 

37 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Another video from Lollujo, he has a look at the tactics creator, he's self admittedly no tactical genius but a good vid. Shows wear on the pitch, 'keepers during a penalty, wish he'd show more than key highlights though 

The 'wear' on the pitch looks awful. You have to hope that will be improved in later builds. 

• SI Staff
17 minutes ago, BigV said:

Confused on this a little or maybe took it too literate. Sane likes to get to the byline and then either skill his way through or cross but he cuts in from a wide position- Is that essentially the IW or IF? 

Appose to salah who gets into goal scoring positions (as he's narrow)/ moving into striker positions- IF more so than IW right?

Just to clarify the likes of bernardo silva and david silva whom are like playmakers but wide would suit the IW? So to speak of more creativity rather than goal scoring threat? 

Would consider Sane a winger in this case (check the blog for a bit of info about wide players moving from outside to in).

Salah very much an IF.

Bernardo Silva could feasibly be used as either an AP or an IW yes.

Hope this helps, but won't be giving too much away until you guys get your hands on the game :)

Alos noticed the trait "Tries tricks" is skills coming back into the game?? When I say skills I mean tricks and not the backheels or side stuff, im more on about rabona's or flicks to play in others etc. 

3 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Second goal (for 1:1, around 6:00 mark) in first match got me kinda worried that the big defence being "rewritten" announcement might be a bit... optimistic. First the defender just lets the winger pass with no attempt at all at taking the ball even though he has every opportunity to do so and then none of the four defenders pick the lone striker...

Edited by Soviet

14 minutes ago, Soviet said:

First the defender just lets the winger pass with no attempt at all at taking the ball even though he has every opportunity to do so and then none of the four defenders pick the lone striker...

All of which happen in real life. What you don't want to see are these things repeated again and again. That's the challenge for SI

• SI Staff
18 minutes ago, majesticeternity said:

The Club Vision seems cool, but can easily go stale with the limited options, or useless to those playing short-term saves...and was already in the game before, just not in 5-year-plan stipulations.

When you get your hands on it I hope you will be able to experience this for yourself, but the Club Vision is a considerable module and was not already in the game. It contains over 100 objectives, a handful of which were taken and evolved from Philosophies, and will impact you from day one.

1 minuto fa, Seb Wassell ha scritto:

When you get your hands on it I hope you will be able to experience this for yourself, but the Club Vision is a considerable module and was not already in the game. It contains over 100 objectives, a handful of which were taken and evolved from Philosophies, and will impact you from day one.

could you share some info on how is that going to work in lower leagues (or in Brazil) where there is high turnover of players? 

• SI Staff
3 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

could you share some info on how is that going to work in lower leagues (or in Brazil) where there is high turnover of players? 

I'm afraid at this stage it's a case of wait and see :)

7 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

That's great to hear!

I guess you should be their salesman, as they don't say that anywhere, and all the new videos showing them show mostly the same ones, so it's hard to tell the scope.

5 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The 'wear' on the pitch looks awful. You have to hope that will be improved in later builds. 

The pitch itself looks awful ... the texture looks far far worse and unrealistic compared to Football Manager 2012 - 2018. Come on ... I facepalm myself everytime I look at that pitch (FM19 and FM20). How could that go past so many people involved in the development cycle of the game without being adressed ? Why didnt't anyone say something along the lines of "Guys, you know that pitch that we are pushing for FM20 .... yea ... it doesn't look anything like a football pitch !!! " If there were no players on that pitch, I could swear it's a pool table gone wrong. Maybe it's just me, but:

Football Manager 2013:

3XlTeEd.jpg

Football Manager 2014

mKWumQ1.jpg

Football Manager 2017

KOrk8Ds.jpg

Football Manager 2018

nL1WhkB.jpg

Now these look (to my eyes at least) quite close to what you would expect the grass to look like. Sure, in some editions is more vibrant, in some it's more pale, but still ... it looks like grass on some pitches without a doubt. Now, the next one is Football Manager 2019 ... and FM20 is just the same, actually it's even darker from what I have seen in the released videos so far.

Football Manager 2019

Rpzn6Ko.jpg

I really hope there is time to change this before the game is actually released. Option number 2 (and the most likely one) is that somebody in the comunity will actually do some pitch textures that actually are reminiscent of a football pitch.

Edited by SebastianRO

1 hour ago, Seb Wassell said:

Will the club vision be required of AI managers? As in, we'll see AI clubs signing youth, or famous, or strategizing for CL and not league, etc? Or is that just for human managers?

10 minutes ago, kandersson said:

I've spotted a new PPM/trait: 'uses outside of foot'. I'm proud to say this was one of my suggestions :D

Of course, we’ll need to see proof of your suggestion....:D

Edited by janrzm

• SI Staff
6 minutes ago, majesticeternity said:

Will the club vision be required of AI managers? As in, we'll see AI clubs signing youth, or famous, or strategizing for CL and not league, etc? Or is that just for human managers?

Club Vision applies to AI and human alike.

4 minutes ago, janrzm said:

Of course, we’ll need to see proof of your suggestion....:D

I've checked and I believe I should also take credit (or blame) for the new 'Plays ball with feet' trait for GK :D.

4 hours ago, SebastianRO said:

The pitch itself looks awful ... the texture looks far far worse and unrealistic compared to Football Manager 2012 - 2018. Come on ... I facepalm myself everytime I look at that pitch (FM19 and FM20). How could that go past so many people involved in the development cycle of the game without being adressed ? Why didnt't anyone say something along the lines of "Guys, you know that pitch that we are pushing for FM20 .... yea ... it doesn't look anything like a football pitch !!! " If there were no players on that pitch, I could swear it's a pool table gone wrong. Maybe it's just me, but:

Football Manager 2013:

3XlTeEd.jpg

Football Manager 2014

mKWumQ1.jpg

Football Manager 2017

KOrk8Ds.jpg

Football Manager 2018

nL1WhkB.jpg

Now these look (to my eyes at least) quite close to what you would expect the grass to look like. Sure, in some editions is more vibrant, in some it's more pale, but still ... it looks like grass on some pitches without a doubt. Now, the next one is Football Manager 2019 ... and FM20 is just the same, actually it's even darker from what I have seen in the released videos so far.

Football Manager 2019

Rpzn6Ko.jpg

I really hope there is time to change this before the game is actually released. Option number 2 (and the most likely one) is that somebody in the comunity will actually do some pitch textures that actually are reminiscent of a football pitch.

A guy called FEZ done some brilliant ones but they technically  changed the pitches in FM18 and he could not do them

It's probably best to wait for the game/beta before judging on some screens. Also if you see the YouTube videos 1) it's 4 versions old as they mentioned, 2) it looks different by everyone, I'd say even the SI video had the worst quality compared to the creators. 

Now from the above shots, I'm by no account a graphics person but each screen shot has a different angle and zoom and lightning. You can't really compare 5 pictures and say this is best. 

Try the real deal first. 

And then load up your FM 12 or whichever and look at that. If you like it better then play that. And then don't buy FM 20.

9 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

Ok, but it is still a feature that will get boring and repetitive after your first save. It’s literally just a 5 year plan...

37 minutes ago, akm.91 said:

Ok, but it is still a feature that will get boring and repetitive after your first save. It’s literally just a 5 year plan...

How will it get boring and repetitive after the first save? 100+ objectives doesn't sound repetitive and from what I've heard it will give clubs their own identity and way of doing things (buying players from lower leagues, only buying players under 24 etc.) which will really help clubs feel different from each other when run by the AI.

2 hours ago, tyro said:

It's probably best to wait for the game/beta before judging on some screens. Also if you see the YouTube videos 1) it's 4 versions old as they mentioned, 2) it looks different by everyone, I'd say even the SI video had the worst quality compared to the creators. 

Now from the above shots, I'm by no account a graphics person but each screen shot has a different angle and zoom and lightning. You can't really compare 5 pictures and say this is best. 

Try the real deal first. 

And then load up your FM 12 or whichever and look at that. If you like it better then play that. And then don't buy FM 20.

Those screenshots haven't been taken from someplace on the internet. I booted up those games and took them myself. So yes, I can compare and you can compare as well because we have a pair of eyes.

" If you like it better then play that. And then don't buy FM 20. " This is not an argument or a counter argument to any statement. I already bought the game, as I am an FM enthusiast. However, me buying or not buying the game doesn't affect the pitch quality, is it now ? People have to stop with this mentality of " if you don't like it, don't buy it " because thats the exact opposite way to how progress and true growth are achieved.

34 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

Those screenshots haven't been taken from someplace on the internet. I booted up those games and took them myself. So yes, I can compare and you can compare as well because we have a pair of eyes.

Yes, but you're comparing finished games with pictures you took yourself, to an un-released game whose footage if from a very early build. Also, the videos posted online have been a very low quality and the graphics settings SI and the content creators need to use are also very low to be able to upload the footage. You're not comparing like for like, or anywhere close to it. 

9 hours ago, kandersson said:

I've spotted a new PPM/trait: 'uses outside of foot'. I'm proud to say this was one of my suggestions :D

This used to be hidden PPM in previous FM. Not sure if recent ones, but definitely in FM12 and 13.

1 minute ago, MBarbaric said:

Sometimes I really think you are trolling on purpose. Why would they need to use low settings to upload the video? there are plenty of high quality videos from way more demanding games uploaded each second all over the internet.

I'm only going on what the creators have said themselves. Take it up with them if you want. 

3 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

QOL updates are DLC...

Patches

But I still think we need to wait our own hands on the game. Just maybe the core for us is better under the hood.

Edited by saihtam

3 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

I know you were only going on what "creators" have said, but the most likely explanation is that:

- creators get invited to events, just like at any other big company's release (sony, activision, EA, etc) and can't really say exactly what they think. Not because it's necesarly prohibited, but because they want to keep good relations with the those companies. Yes, all of them will deny it, but this is how the world works, this is just a basic marketing guideline. Another reason for why they "have to use low graphics" might be because of another marketing principle and that is "announce and release footage as a beta at the lowest possible acceptable quality and then when the game releases, the buyer is impressed by how good it looks when compared to the footage release prior release. Basically, the consumer's point of referance for comparison changes".

- but really Dave, from the footage we have all seen, FM20's pitch texture and colors look very far off, unless we either lie to ourselves or we are appologists for these companies. Yes, it is still not the final release as I agree, but let's face it .... It looks exactly how FM19 looked like the year before.

Just one thing, an awful lot of your second paragraph is speculation being presented as fact, which is neither fair on the creators or SI. You simply cannot assume they will deny stuff just to fit your argument. That's disingenuous and not particularly on 

The above would make sense if the Content Providers were not allowed to set the game to highest graphical Details (or if that's not yet implemented). What limits them here is the hardware they have in their specs. If that wouldn't suffice it would only render things at choppy framerates. What puts the strain on the upload is something different. Given that most of them have uploaded their vids at at least 720p (SI themselves 1080p), that didn't appear to be much of a strain at all.

That said, given that there's community pitch texture packs on any version, that grass can always be some greener on the other side  patch. :D