Getting the best out of my Treq

Hey peeps,

I have another thread on here a while ago where I almost perfected my 4312. It has been going great since then (20pts increase in 2nd season), but I can't break through to the top 2 (Liverpool and Man C where I lost to both in the run in) so I am looking at small areas where I can improve.

My tactic is attached, the only PI I have is on the WB(S) who is instructed to remain wider and cross less. I have just started my third season, and whilst I have won both opening games, I feel it is a good time to try and improve now and ensure that the points keep flowing. My main Treq is Aouar (G4 A4 in 29(7) apps) - with James (G0 A1 in 6(6) apps) as rotation option. Last season I also had Ozil (G3 A3 in 9(6) apps) and Pastore (G2 A8 in 14(16) apps) rotating in occasionally but both of them are not out of the picture [all stats based on last season]. In total then, my Treq position has contributed G9 A16 over 58 games (with Pastore contributing half of the assists!)

I have considered converting my Treq into an AP but I feel that the position already attracts the ball a reasonable amount (plus my Treq has a bit more freedom and stays up the pitch better - ripe for counter attacks), so I am looking for small tweaks I could make to try and squeeze out an extra % or so over the season. I don't really want to rip the team up, and Haller (and Laca) are both doing great in the DLF(A) role.

Any thoughts? Cheers!

Arsenal_  Overview.png

Houssem Aouar_ Overview Profile.png

Houssem Aouar_ History Career Stats.png

8 hours ago, Marabak said:

Houssem Aouar_ Overview Profile.png

This player is great and has everything that is necessary for a very good TQ. So he is not the problem.

The problem is exclusively in your tactic: 

8 hours ago, Marabak said:

Arsenal_  Overview.png

Just take a look at the following:

- much higher tempo on the Attacking mentality (where the tempo is already high by default)

- all 4 attack duties are given to the 4 most advanced players (and again in the context of the attacking team mentality)

Seems as though you are trying to lose the ball (and give it away to the opposition) as early as possible.

Do you have a clear idea as to what type of football you exactly want to play?

Changes I would make: 

- Change Haller from a DLF-a to a TM-s, right now all three of your attacking players are on roles that move into channels, the T-a also has roams from position, with all three players busy looking for and exploring spaces you will often end up with nobody in the most dangerous central areas, with a TM-s you will have a more static central option that will either score goals himself or create chances for others through flick-ons and one-two's. Narrow formations also generate a lot of crosses, playing with a target man gives you a natural focal point in the attack that helps you take advantage of that. Haller is not great at heading but aside from that he makes for an excellent target man at top level.

- Set Chilwell as a WB-a and add the overlap instruction on both sides, in a 4-3-1-2 and other narrow formations the wingbacks will inevitably be the most important players, providing vital width in your attack. The overlap instruction will push your wingbacks further up the pitch putting them closer to your midfield, this will give your midfielders more passing options out wide, help you retain possession and create more scoring opportunities through crosses. Having one of the wingbacks on an attack duty provides vital width in attack, I feel Chilwell is a better choice for this as he is better at carrying and distributing the ball than Bellerin is.

- Change the mezzala to support duty, and possibly switch sides with the carrilero. On attack duty the mezzala is going to try and push forward into space that probably does not exist since you already have two strikers and an AMC on attack duty playing in front of him, on support duty he will be slightly more responsible defensively and drift into spaces less likely to be occupied by someone else. Having the carrilero on the same side as your more attacking wingback will provide more defensive solidity, while keeping the mezzala there could provide better attacking play.

- As Experienced Defender said, lower the tempo, the combination of higher tempo and attack mentality means your players are likely to try and hoof the ball forwards as quickly as possible and bypass the midfield entirely, that does not seem to be what you want. I would drop it to default at least, if not even further.

- Add the offside trap instruction. Playing a high line without it is suicide.

Apologies for the delay in replying, work has been busy :D

Overall, I'm very happy with my attacking, winning my 1st 4 league games with an aggregate 11:0, so I am not looking at making too drastic a change, just subtle tweaks to get the treq involved. I'l start with dropping the tempo TI though, and see if more of the build up does travel through him.

Archived