[FM 19] - Set Piece positions swapping between tactics during match

Hi,

Not sure exactly where to post this ... I reckon it's a bug, but maybe there's a way around it ?

For example, I've setup 3 tactics and customized the set-pieces for all of them, on the tactic screen. However, if during a match I switch between tactics (for example, from 4-2-3-1 DM to 4-4-2), the player assignments for the set-pieces are all messed-up / swapped.

For example, in my 4-4-2 I set my defensive center midfielder to stay back for attacking free-kicks and my forward to go (obviously) forward, but when switching to this tactic DURING a match, it's vice-versa, the forward is in the stay-back position and midfielder is up front. I noticed when my free kick taker was passing back instead of sending the ball in the box...

It's very annoying and time-consuming because I had to manually swap them for each side (and other free-kick types - wide, deep). The routines are unchanged, just as I set them, but players are swapped.

When I set them up I thought that any player IN THAT POSITION / ROLE is going to perform the selected instruction, I don't understand why this doesn't stick if switching tactics during a match (the players are in the right positions on the tactic overview - i.e. striker is striker, midfielder in midfield, it's just set-pieces that get screwed). Any ideas or ways around this ?

Agreed, set pieces are incredibly tedious. Especially free kicks, where you have to set every routine up from scratch. If at least I could create one preset, load it up for all scenarios and then make minor changes depending on their location, but for some reason that's impossible.

There really should be an easier way. Some sort of a list with all the players and their roles during all set pieces, so you can have a good overview and drag things around quickly, without needing to go into multiple different subsections. This is one of the areas where such complexity really isn't needed. Not only is it incredibly tedious, but it also opens the door for all sorts of exploits.

Set pieces are generally messed up in FM. A slight change in players' positioning before a game can lead to a total revolution for where they are placed for a set piece, quite often I end up with one taker plus eight other players available, wtf? Or my DR suddenly going across the pitch to take a throw in on the left! (of course he or his position is not set up to do it).

What I do is I have a set of routines saved for my default 442 formation and before each game I have to load it manually (even if I play unchanged 442) and then swap players how I wish, sometimes just because my MC may switch positions for one game and one of them is really good/poor at headers or because I use my small playmaker on a wing instead of centre. I usually have to do it only for attacking corners, these seem to be broken most often.

I don't know a way to set it up once and never touch again and to be fair I am not sure how it is possible for SI to make this part easier. Realistically, even if you make a half time substitution and bring on a tall forward instead of a pacey one, you'll likely have to alter your routine to help him score from or defend opposition set pieces during last 45 mins anyway, isn't it?

I fully agree that for free kicks it's far too much faff, some or all of FK types or even throw-ins should have an option to copy a routine from corners (eg indirect from a wing). And there should be an option to let your Assistant set it up according to his expertise + your players skillls + common sense like full backs staying back for corners, taller guys in the box, one or two long shooter outside pen area etc. Then you could either leave it as it is or if you think a change here or there will make it better you can alter it. Simples.

Edited by right_winger

• 3 months later...