Enhanced newgens attributes generations

HarryFonda

As this has been talked about for years, there are some roles (ball-playing defender, false nine, attacking wingback, sweeper keeper) that are pretty rare for newgens. E.g. it's almost impossible to find top-level natural attacking wingback in year 2040. The same goes for other roles mentioned here.

This where training comes in handy :D

A player coming into the game at 14 isn't the same player at 26 

So, take a young full back or winger, see what his potential rating's like & train him for a couple or years as a wingback, if he has the versatility he should be become natural in the position  

Like, I've just signed a 17 year old 6" 7 centre back, he has double digits already in passing, vision & his mentals so I'm going to try & develop him as a defensive central mid. With his height he should be a beast in the middle of the park in a few years if all goes to plan   

Edited by Johnny Ace

41 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

This where training comes in handy :D

A player coming into the game at 14 isn't the same player at 26 

So, take a young full back or winger, see what his potential rating's like & train him for a couple or years as a wingback, if he has the versatility he should be become natural in the position  

Like, I've just signed a 17 year old 6" 7 centre back, he has double digits already in passing, vision & his mentals so I'm going to try & develop him as a defensive central mid. With his height he should be a beast in the middle of the park in a few years if all goes to plan   

Yep, this is a good workaround, but still does not fix the whole problem. There are so many natural wingbacks IRL (e.g. Firpo, Alonso, Marcelo, Alexander-Arnold) and they don't naturally appear in the future. E.g. Alexander-Arnold has 18 (IIRC) crossing in FM19 by default aged 19, you can't even find one young decent wingback with 12 crossing in the future. Also, AI does not train them that way, so when you're managing national team e.g. France in the future, you are stuck with wingbacks that have 9-10 crossing, even the top ones.

And most of top young keepers IRL are sweeper keepers, the same goes for ball-playing defenders.

Edited by HarryFonda

You did get me thinking of how the AI trains their players, I don't think I've ever noticed an AI managed player developing positions, going from a winger to an inside forward over a couple of seasons for example but I've never really looked

That's a bloomin' good point though, would be interesting comparing the starting DB to 20 years into the game future, I don't think I've ever seen a wide player under the age of 20 with 18 for crossing in fact, I would've signed him, so no, I haven't  

• 2 weeks later...

This is my biggest issue with FM. AS someone who likes to play long term saves, it really makes it almost impossible to use some tactics you built over time because at some point you just cant find players that fit the way you want to play. In terms of newgens, we are back in times of full backs, wingers, old fashion goalkeepers

And i agree that some things can be sorted with training, but i dont think thats a solution. You cant turn a classic winger into goalscoring inside forward. Sure, you can make him play on the other side of field, and maybe find the tactics that will make him score good number of goals. But he will still have low attributes for finishing, passing, composure and so on.

We are not in times of wingers, full backs etc. anymore. Football moved away from that long time ago. But the game still produces them. And lots of them. How does AI sort that out? They cant. They are using them. And IMO thats wrong. Real football is not represented well after few years. And i would also mention high physical attributes of newgens

And whats discouraging is how little this issue has been talked about in FM community. It seems that people dont have any problem with it, and of course, if you dont point at the issue, developers wont give it a priority. I understand that people are talking more about match engine, or AI squad building, it is priority for a lot of people, as it should be. But still, i think people dont talk enough about newgens

• 9 months later...