Just give up?

The title sounds so negative ... it’s not something I do often but do you ever have one of those seasons where nothing is ever going right? Currently playing as Bradford PA quite a tough challenge - but won the league first go and promoted by one point to the national league - buying some cheeky bargains and some old sweats such as lee hendrie seemed to work .... now in the national league after 32 games 22nd in the league - I’ve stuck with the majority of the players but bought in ten others who I thought would improve the dynamics - the dressing room is ok the lads respect me the board are happy as we fight against relegation .....  so my question is do you ever just think what ever I do is not going to help ? I’ve tried everything , formations , tactics , players tweak you name it nothing works we can’t finish we can’t defend I’ve found myself 3-0 up and drawn the game in the 94th minute despite defensive and tighten up etc ...... is this it? Is it simply my players can’t cut it at the bigger level ? Are they playing for Bradford for that reason? I have never been relegated in my career ( always jumped ship to be honest) but I want to see this one out ..... 

Stick at it, just think how much of an achievement it would be if you kept them up! Sounds like you're expected to be in this position anyway if the players, fans and board aren't revolting.

Sometimes the memory of tough times makes the successes all the more sweeter :)

8 hours ago, Techno-fear said:

The title sounds so negative ... it’s not something I do often but do you ever have one of those seasons where nothing is ever going right? Currently playing as Bradford PA quite a tough challenge - but won the league first go and promoted by one point to the national league - buying some cheeky bargains and some old sweats such as lee hendrie seemed to work .... now in the national league after 32 games 22nd in the league - I’ve stuck with the majority of the players but bought in ten others who I thought would improve the dynamics - the dressing room is ok the lads respect me the board are happy as we fight against relegation .....  so my question is do you ever just think what ever I do is not going to help ? I’ve tried everything , formations , tactics , players tweak you name it nothing works we can’t finish we can’t defend I’ve found myself 3-0 up and drawn the game in the 94th minute despite defensive and tighten up etc ...... is this it? Is it simply my players can’t cut it at the bigger level ? Are they playing for Bradford for that reason? I have never been relegated in my career ( always jumped ship to be honest) but I want to see this one out ..... 

You got promoted in your first season.

You've gone up a level in quality. Your probably as good, if not slightly better NOW than you were when you got promoted.

Stick with it. Itll take time to go up more levels

7 hours ago, Tinkerman84 said:

it could be any reason, like in real life.. sometimes you can't understand where the mistakes lies. but you should go on and don't give up the fight.. even if you relegate again you may come back stronger..

I guess you’re right it’s the thought of going back to the start ...., when all the hard work was done ....  

I have changed them with 8 games to go - and we’ve slightly improved albeit a couple wins and a draw but currently 5 games to go 2 points adrift ..... - it seems like we’re improving but not defensively I’m almost going all out to get the goals but leaving us vulnerable 

4 hours ago, Sinister78 said:

Just wondering, did any of your backroom staff leave in close season or did you change ur assistant manager by any chance?

In my experience and as a seasoned LLMer youve gone with a system that gets you up so with the new season you lose certain players and staff which makes you lose your way. Its tempting with the new season and the optimism to go with the kids but you need league experienced players by the sounds of it.  Maybe 10 seems abit excessive.

Always stick with it, keep tweaking things if you see issues when conceding. Dont be afraid to change mentalities if you're struggling for goals, sometimes that can be more important than instructions.

You never know what's around the corner. This is how my first season has gone so far, 11 league games without a win...

372932618_St.Johnstone_Fixtures.thumb.png.ca26ae8e30cd43b6fe2e3cb871fd38e3.thumb.png.c2e23d4378e43bfbb587570a1ca2c4e3.png

Thanks to all those who made me stick with it .... made it by 1 point .... tough season glad to see the back of it but very enjoyable towards the end - if a little stressful .... we live to fight another season .... time to sort this lot out starting with back room 

Doc1.docx

Sometimes going down is the best thing to happen to a team, another rebuild might be what you need to go again. Don't give up at the first sign of failure, should make success when it comes all the more sweeter - especially with such a small club.