Can't get my strikers scoring FM20Beta Arsenal

I'm playing as Arsenal, i'm in March the first season, i have tried so many different combinations to get Aubameyang or Lacazette scoring, and despite them playing 30 league games and about another 5-10 in other comps, Aubameyang has 5 goals, Lacazette has 4, has anyone else had problems with them scoring? i have tried them in different striker roles, pressing forward, advanced forward, complete forward, i have tried them in 4231 with Auba on the left, 442, 424, 3412.

I'm literally out of ideas.

I'm still doing well, but i'm literally scraping wins, i'm using default tiki-taka settings with minor tweaks.

Edited by GS1981

It's early yet, but 'finishing' seems broken me...

I see chance after chance, striker vs GK, 3v2, etc., absolutely squandered. The striker either puts it wide or right at the GK. Meanwhile, long-range screamers are a somewhat regular occurrence. Obviously, not every break results in a goal, and wonder strikes happen, but the ratio seems skewed. Not just talking my team (HSV), but what I'm seeing from my opponents as well. Admittedly, I'm only halfway through the '19-20 season, so it's a relatively small sample size, and I don't exactly have the world's greatest strikers, but I think I have as many goals from my holding MF position as I do from my strikers. 

22 minutes ago, GS1981 said:

I think i have figured it out, my attack line was to high

What was the new set up? Attack line on standard but defensive line high? What passing are you using and roles with that?

just interested as playing Arsenal as well

Are you playing them together? I'm also on an Arsenal save in March 2020 and can't get them in the team together without compromising creativity. I have got them scoring with Auba 18 & Laca on 14 goals but only playing 1 up top in a 4231 formation.

I am struggling to get my AMC to provide assists (Maddison or Ozil)

Edited by Champfan10

7 hours ago, Fieldsy said:

Tbh Lacazette has been useless up front both as a DPF or CFs, little movement and goals, despite having lots of possession. Really unsure whether it is him, the tactic or the ME.....

That’s funny I’ve started an arsenal save and he can’t get in the team Aubameyang has 5 in 5 and Saka is tearing it up

i didn’t realise how thin Arsenal’s midfield is, cebalos has also been pretty much like him irl, flashes of niceness but overall very ineffectual I’m now trying a midfield 3 of Willock, Torreira and guendouzi 

I'm currently using this set up (still in pre-season):

image.thumb.png.66dad7d86783fb815c4b59d3b0fc83ae.png

Pre-season started terribly, and then I changed the RB from support to attack, and that has helped the attackers massively. Once Bellerin is fit, I imagine it will work a hell of a lot better, but so far Chambers at RB gets forward and takes the opponent's LB away from the box. That leaves Aubameyang, Lacazette and Pepe against three defenders (assuming they play four at the back). Kolasinac also gets forward, although later than Chambers, and he can sometimes occupy the opponent's RB. That means I have three attackers against two centre backs, and two creative players (Ozil and Ceballos) behind them to play through balls.

Furthermore, I've given up on playing a higher line and LOE for now, because 1) Arsenal's centre backs generally are not quick enough, 2) I don't think Arsenal are good enough anymore to absolutely dominate high up the pitch, 3) given how fast their attackers are, it would make sense to give them space to run into, and 4) counter press means that Arsenal will still try to win the ball quickly, before dropping back into a much better defensive shape. As a result, I've added 'counter' as an instruction. This means that when we don't win the ball back quickly (counter press), and we win it back a bit deeper (standard line and LOE), Aubameyang, Lacazette and Pepe have loads of space to attack between them.

The point being, if your attackers are not scoring goals, even though the roles and duties selected for the attackers seem decent, the problem is probably the rest of the team.

This is my own personal tactic, (4231) doing really well but i can't beat Man City or Liverpool, comfortably the 3rd best team in the league, after these adjustments Auba and Laca both started scoring more.

I'm playing Auba LW IF attack, he managed 21 goals in my first season in the league from that position.

Screenshot-10.png

GlenBo AFC 4-2-3-1.fmf

Edited by GS1981

I guess if it's working (aside from those two teams) then stick with it. However, against top sides (like Liverpool and City), you will be leaving so much space for them to attack or to counter in. Both full backs are essentially on an attack duty (the auto will change to attack), you're playing extremely wide, you're focusing play down both flanks which will push them even higher, then overlapping on both sides making them even higher again. Additionally, one of the 'holding' central midfielders is box-to-box, so he will get forward during attacks, too. I guess teams like Liverpool and City will be able to withstand your attacks, and when they attack or counter you'll have a maximum of three players in any sort of sensible defensive position.

1 hour ago, GS1981 said:

Screenshot-10.png

1 hour ago, GS1981 said:

I just got hammered by Liverpool and City so it looks worse on the negatives than it actually is

Looking at your tactic, I am not surprised at all that you got hammered by them. This tactic is so full of needless risks and aggressiveness that it would be no surprise if you were hammered even by much weaker opposition. I would remove most of instructions and make significant changes to the setup of roles and duties to make the tactic much more sensible, balanced and logical. 

On 02/11/2019 at 09:55, damocles said:

This is almost always a tactics problem.  I've got 2 saves, one at Man City using tiki taka and another at Altrincham using route one and on both my strikers are my top scorers.

Show for us your tct :D

4 hours ago, ryandormer said:

hat means I have three attackers against two centre backs, and two creative players (Ozil and Ceballos) behind them to play through balls.

You have not considered what the rest of the AI team is doing here. OR that the AI might just cede you the wide spaces and defend narrow. Or they can track back and defend the wide areas with a midfielder. 

Assuming you get the 3v2 in the centre (which you can get from this), what is the AI midfield doing? Are they packing the midfield? if so it is always going to be hard to make a through ball? Are they defending deep? There will be no room to make good through balls. Another thing is Ozil is going to draw many midfielders, does he get enough space to make passes? You are making the correct thought process, but not considering everything. 

Also a supporting striker is unlikely to be your main goalscorer. They are to be involved as much in link up play as trying to score goals. The IF(A) is probably your main goal threat here. He is the player who is going to be attacking space you create in the middle. 

15 hours ago, GS1981 said:

I might try and make a 433 swapping the cam out for a dm as my second tactic for those types of games.

Defo recommend using more than 1 tactical approach mate, I’ve got 3 tactics that I’m using right now:

•433 High line short intricate passing - I use this against bottom half teams where they will sit back 

•4231 high pressing- where I don’t expect to domintate the ball but I want to use fastbcounter attacks with subs and Pepe to exploit and attack space

•5212- work in progress just trying to see if 5 at the back works this year 😅

Edited by Gunnersmoke

22 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Looking at your tactic, I am not surprised at all that you got hammered by them. This tactic is so full of needless risks and aggressiveness that it would be no surprise if you were hammered even by much weaker opposition. I would remove most of instructions and make significant changes to the setup of roles and duties to make the tactic much more sensible, balanced and logical. 

Well i'm not mate i finished 3rd 5 points off top, got to every cup final but lost them all, into second season now, you have to have a bit of risk, its part of the fun.

lost fa cup final 3-2 to city, lost efl cup final on pens to liverpool, lost europa final on pens to man utd after a 0-0.

Edited by GS1981