Diving into the North Atlantic

glamdring

From Mission of the Faroes Islands to the United Kingdom:

"Situated roughly half way between Scotland and Iceland in the Northeast Atlantic, the Faroe Islands are an archipelago of 18 mountainous islands, with a total land area of some 1400 sq. kilometres, a sea area of 274,000 sq. kilometres and a population of just over 47,000. The language of the Faroe Islands, Faroese, is a west Nordic language, which derives from the language of the Norsemen who settled the islands 1200 years ago.

As a self-governing territory under the sovereignty of the Kingdom of Denmark, the Faroe Islands legislate and govern a wide range of areas in accordance with the Home Rule Act of 1948. These include the conservation and management of living marine resources within the 200-mile fisheries zone, sub-surface resources, trade, fiscal, industrial and environmental policies, transport, communications, culture, education and research.

The Faroe Islands have chosen not to be a part of Denmark’s membership of the European Union. The Faroes negotiate their own trade and fisheries agreements with the EU and other countries, in consultation and cooperation with the Danish foreign ministry, and participate either independently or together with Greenland (Denmark in respect of the Faroe Islands and Greenland) in a range of regional fisheries management bodies.

With an economy overwhelmingly dependent on the fishing and aquaculture industries, the Faroes are keenly aware of the need to strengthen Faroese capacity to deal with the challenges of a globalised world. Enhancing economic independence is a key factor in ensuring sustainable development and stimulating economic diversity.

The very basis for economic and social well-being and cultural integrity in all countries and communities of the world, not least in the Faroe Islands, is a healthy and productive natural environment."

This is a spin-off from my Ross County story as I head off to start my international management career icon_smile.gif

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Mission of the Faroes Islands to the United Kingdom:

"Situated roughly half way between Scotland and Iceland in the Northeast Atlantic, the Faroe Islands are an archipelago of 18 mountainous islands, with a total land area of some 1400 sq. kilometres, a sea area of 274,000 sq. kilometres and a population of just over 47,000. The language of the Faroe Islands, Faroese, is a west Nordic language, which derives from the language of the Norsemen who settled the islands 1200 years ago.

As a self-governing territory under the sovereignty of the Kingdom of Denmark, the Faroe Islands legislate and govern a wide range of areas in accordance with the Home Rule Act of 1948. These include the conservation and management of living marine resources within the 200-mile fisheries zone, sub-surface resources, trade, fiscal, industrial and environmental policies, transport, communications, culture, education and research.

The Faroe Islands have chosen not to be a part of Denmark’s membership of the European Union. The Faroes negotiate their own trade and fisheries agreements with the EU and other countries, in consultation and cooperation with the Danish foreign ministry, and participate either independently or together with Greenland (Denmark in respect of the Faroe Islands and Greenland) in a range of regional fisheries management bodies.

With an economy overwhelmingly dependent on the fishing and aquaculture industries, the Faroes are keenly aware of the need to strengthen Faroese capacity to deal with the challenges of a globalised world. Enhancing economic independence is a key factor in ensuring sustainable development and stimulating economic diversity.

The very basis for economic and social well-being and cultural integrity in all countries and communities of the world, not least in the Faroe Islands, is a healthy and productive natural environment."

This is a spin-off from my Ross County story as I head off to start my international management career icon_smile.gif

News report from the Dingwall Times on Tuesday 6th July 2010

Ross County's Adam Eckersley appointed as manager of Faroes in shock move

Hamish Brodie reports:

In a move that has sent shockwaves through the whole of Scottish football and indeed through the wider European scene, the Faroe Islands FA today announced that Ross County manager Adam Eckersley was to be their new manager.

Eckersley has led Ross County to 3 SPL titles in the last 4 years having taken the club up from relegation contenders in Division 1 7 seasons ago to European challengers now. As well as domestic success, also winning the SFA Cup last season, Eckersley has taken Ross County to the Quarter-finals of the Champions League for the last 2 seasons and is widely acknowledged to be one of the best young managers around.

After turning down the England job 2 years ago, speculation was rife that Eckersley was waiting for the Scotland job to become available, since he is running an entirely Scottish squad at Ross County and was believed to be happily settled in Scotland. Having qualified so brilliantly for the World Cup, Scottish fans were highly disappointed with their team's showing at the competition as they finished bottom of their group containing Mexico, Germany and the Czech Republic. The pressure on the Scottish FA to sack manager Roy Aitken is growing by the day now, but today's news may have an effect on that. Adam Eckersley was seen by many to be the forerunner in the race to succeed Roy Aitken and lead Scotland into Euro 2012, but Eckersley today made the shock decision to take up the post as manager of the Faroe Islands, killing off any immediate thoughts the Scottish people had of him becoming their manager.

We hope to get an interview with Mr Eckersley in the next few days to discuss this amazing development as well as looking forward to the new season with Ross County so make sure you keep with the Dingwall Times.

News report from the Daily Record on Monday 12th July 2010

Scotland sack Roy Aitken

Angus Thomson reports:

The Scottish FA yesterday decided to terminate the contract of manager Roy Aitken, saying that they felt it was time for a change in management and that they are now actively seeking his replacement. The news will come as a surprise to few after Scotland's dismal showing in the World Cup this year. Whilst fans were delighted by the performance in qualifying for the World Cup ahead of Italy, it is performance at the major competitions that really matters and in only winning their final group game against the Czech Republic when chances of qualification for the knock-out stages were already over, manager Roy Aitken paid the ultimate price.

Speculation has been going on over the last week about Aitken being sacked and who would replace him and this news comes just 5 days after Ross County manager Adam Eckersley, who was considered by many to be the man to take Scotland forward, made the shock decision to become manager of the Faroe Islands. Many in the press have criticised Eckersley for making a decision which can at best be considered highly bizarre and at worst potentially very detrimental to his reputation, should he fail to improve the Faroes fortunes, as many are predicting. Mr Eckersley has made no comment regarding his decision to take over the Faroe Islands job as yet so his reasons are yet to be heard, but many consider it a snub to his adopted country of Scotland and it may be a while before the Scottish public forgive the man whom they took to their hearts as the manager who broke the Old Firm dominance with a team full of Scots and whom they all wanted to manage their national side.

Hibernian manager Colin Cameron has today emerged as the favourite to succeed Aitken, but the Scottish FA say that they are not in a hurry to make an appointment and will consider all candidates carefully for the job.

[This message was edited by Peacemaker7 on 05 March 2004 at 18:11.]

Article from the Dingwall Times on Monday 26th July 2010

Ross County and new Faroese manager Adam Eckersley talks exclusively to Hamish Brodie

Hamish: Thank you Adam, for giving us your first interview since taking over the Faroes job.

Adam: You're welcome Hamish. I've had a great relationship with the Dingwall Times during my stay at Ross County so it seemed right that I should talk to you ahead of the national media.

Hamish: When you rejected the England job two years ago, it was widely suspected that it was because you were waiting for the Scotland job to come up. Although I know you denied this at the time, you did state that you would love to manage Scotland.

Adam I've made no secret of the fact that I would one day like to manage Scotland, but that didn't have any immediate impact on my decision to reject England. As I said at the time, I rejected England because I was happy living up in North Scotland and didn't feel it was the right job for me.

Hamish: You must have known though, when you accepted the Faroes job, that Roy Aitken was very likely to be sacked as Scotland manager and that you were the favourite to replace him?

Adam: It's for the media to speculate about us managers losing our jobs Hamish. Between managers we have great respect for each other and I think Roy Aitken's sacking was quite harsh. The first seeds for me taking over the Faroese job were sewn a while ago back in April though and the Scotland job was far from my mind at the time.

Hamish: How did it come about then? Many people are thinking you must be mad to take over such a lowly country with little or no hope of ever getting anywhere or even winning any games, even if you didn't want the Scotland job yet!

Adam: Well, I'll deal with the how first before responding to the comments in the national media! It started back in April when a letter came to us at Ross County, totally out of the blue, from the Faroese FA. They were enquiring if it would be possible for myself and some of my Ross County coaches to go across to the Faroe Islands for a few weeks in the Summer off-season to do some coaching with their players and their club coaches as they had been very impressed with what we had achieved at Ross County. The idea intrigued me because I've always been interested in the Faroe Islands so I was happy to accept. As you know Hamish, I went on holiday officially at the start of May, leaving my assistant manager, Andy Goram, in charge for our last 4 league games. At the time we kept quiet as to the reasons and it was agreed that Archie would say only that I had been given time off before the cup final since we had secured the title.

Hamish: So Archie was totally behind you on the decision?

Adam: Oh yes, he has been fully involved throughout. We decided that we would take up the offer from the Faroese FA and go during May rather than in the off-season so I headed up there with 3 of my coaches during May, leaving a lot of speculation behind me as to why I was not there for the last 4 league games! It was a great experience for me - the Faroe Islands are one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to and we had a thoroughly enjoyable time working with the Faroese FA, players and club coaches. It was mentioned at the time that then Faroese manager Henrik Larsen was considering retiring from the job in the Summer and things just went from there really. The Faroese FA were very impressed with me and my methods and I was impressed by them so we began establsihing connections between Ross County and the Faroes and ultimately they asked me if I was interested in succeeding Larsen as manager. It was one of those decisions that one makes, maybe more with the heart than the head, and on impulse, but I don't regret it. It's a challenge that I am relishing and the opportunity to spend some time in the Faroes is not at all bad!

Hamish: So the deal was very much underway before the World Cup kicked off?

Adam: Yes, we didn't finalise things until just before the announcement was made on my birthday that I was to become manager, but the discussions had begun before the World Cup. Had I known then of Scotland's fate and that of Roy Aitken after the world cup, I doubt my decision would have been any different. I would love to manage Scotland one day, but I'm still young and my primary aim is still to establish Ross County as the top team in Scotland and to win the Champions League with my all Scottish team - maybe after that, if the Scotland job hapens to become available it might happen, but who knows how long I will be in charge of the Faroes - I don't look at it at all as being a stop-gap job like many of the national media are saying. I can quite realistically see myself being here for the next 10 years if the Faroese FA and fans still want me.

Hamish: What are your aims realistically with the Faroes? You're 151st in the FIFA world rankings and widely regarded as one of those teams who just make up the numbers in Euro and World Cup qualifying.

Adam: I want to help Faroese football develop. Where that will take us I don't honestly know - we have to be realistic and say right now that the chances of the Faroe Islands ever qualifying for a major tournament are very slim. If I can improve our FIFA ranking and maybe take us into the top 100 that would be a huge achievement. It is a small country and whatever we do can't change that. With a population of under 50,000, we can assume only approximately half of those are male leaving ~25,000. How many of those are in the 18-30 age group? Maybe 5,000. How many of those can play football and want to play football? Well, your guess is as good as mine for the future, but from the listing I have from the Faroese FA, there are 298 Faroese footballers that I have at my disposal. It will be a huge challenge, maybe even a huge challenge just to win a game, but it is one that excites me hugely.

Hamish: You're in what many consider to be one of the weakest qualifying groups for Euro 2012, but you are still favourites to finish bottom of the group. How do you see the qualifying going?

Adam: Well, I have to say I took the job before I even looked at the qualifying group, but it is very interesting. Germany are the highest ranked team in our group at 28 and hot favourites to qualify, but then the other 3 teams are all lower down the ranking, although of course comfortably above our 151st ranking. Austria, Switzerland and Northern Ireland are the teams people expect to be scrapping for 2nd place. If we can finish above any of them it would be a great achievement, but it isn't beyond the bounds of possibility, however unlikely, that we could actually challenge them for 2nd place. Of course, that isn't what either I or the Faroese FA expect, but the ultimate aim of the qualifying groups is to qualify of course so that will be our ultimate aim, however unlikely.

Hamish: Well, the people of Dingwall and us here at the Dingwall Times wish you all the best and we will certainly be reporting on your games and will have a Dingwall-based branch of the Faroese fanclub!

Adam: Thank you Hamish. The people of Dingwall have been great in their support for me and I can assure them that I will still be putting every effort into taking Ross County to the pinnacle of European football.

Hamish: Just before you go, a quick word on Ross County for the new season...how do you see things going?

Adam: My main aim, as ever, is to win (and retain) the SPL and continue to establish ourselves as the major force in Scottish football. If we can retain the Scottish FA Cup also then that would be excellent. Then of course there's Europe again - we've made the Quarter-finals for the last two seasons, beaten by PSV both times, but I think this year we were closer to beating them than previously and if we can go one step further and reach the semis this year that would be fantastic, but we can't take anything for granted. Just qualifying from our group again will be no easy task and if we can again do that we will have achieved a great deal again.

[This message was edited by glamdring on 05 March 2004 at 14:04.]

Sunday 15th August 2010

It's 27 days now until the first match in our Euro 2012 Qualifying Group and having just kiecked off our domestic season yesterday, I'll have to juggle my duties with Ross County and getting to know my Faroese charges to decide who to select in the squad for the first matches which will be a double-header, home to Austria and 4 days later away to Switzerland.

In some senses we are very fortunate the way the group has been drawn, but whatever group we were to be in we would be supposedly the worst team so we have no illusions as to how difficult a task this will be.

The 10 groups as drawn, before any matches have been played are included below together with the world rankings of the nations in our group.

European Football Championship 2012 Qualification

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Inf Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag G.D. Pts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Andorra 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd Armenia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd Czech Republic 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th Serbia & Mont. 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th Slovakia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

6th Wales 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Albania 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd Finland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd France 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th Greece 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th Luxembourg 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st (61) Austria 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd (151) Faroe Islands 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd (28) Germany 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th (85) N.Ireland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th (78) Switzerland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Croatia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd Iceland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd Lithuania 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th Moldova 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th Spain 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Azerbaijan 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd Belarus 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd Italy 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th Romania 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th Slovenia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st England 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd FYR of Macedonia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd Liechtenstein 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th Poland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th Russia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Belgium 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd Cyprus 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd Holland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th Israel 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th Malta 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1st Kazakhstan 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd Latvia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd Portugal 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th Scotland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th Ukraine 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Bosnia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd Estonia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd Hungary 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th Ireland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th Turkey 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1st Bulgaria 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd Denmark 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd Georgia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th San Marino 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th Sweden 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

</pre>

The current top-ranked nations in the FIFA rankings are as follows:

3. France

5. Ukraine

11. Norway

15. Republic of Ireland

17. Greece

18. Italy

25. Denmark

27. England

28. Germany

30. Czech Republic

37. Romania

38. Sweden

41. Croatia

44. Serbia & Montenegro

45. Holland icon_eek.gif

47. Belgium

48. Portugal

49. Wales

53. Scotland

54. Poland

59. Russia

61. Austria

63. Finland

64. Slovakia

66. Turkey

68. Slovenia

69. Spain icon_eek.gif

75. Hungary

African, Asian and American nations have somewhat taken over many of the top ranking positions with Brazil and Nigeria heading the ranks.

[This message was edited by glamdring on 05 March 2004 at 16:25.]

Thursday 2nd September 2010

After long discussions with the various scouts I sent out to watch as many Faroese players as possible and pouring over the information handed to me by the Faroese FA and former manager Henrik Larsen I have selected my first international squad. It was certainly hard deciding who to include and who to leave out, what composition of players to have and other decisions to select 26 players, but I hope I have all areas well enough covered from the fairly small pool of players available to me.

Archie has been great about the whole Faroe Islands linkup and has thrown himself whole-heartedly into it - he is one of those impulsive people who likes new and innovative ideas. He came over for a few days during our spell in the Faroes in May and told the Faroese FA that they and any of their clubs were more than welcome to visit Dingwall to use our new modern training facilities whenever they wished. Ross County is indeed the closest British league club to the Faroe Islands and now thanks to our European Champions League money we have some of the best training facilities and youth academy not only in Britain, but in Europe as a whole.

Having some of the Faroese players come over here to train helps me hugely in judging their talent and watching them also, even though it isn't very frequent. Archie, like much of the Scottish press and public had fully expected that I would begin my international management with his native Scotland and managing many of the players on the Ross County roster, but he is completely behind my decision to coach the Faroes and his support is invaluable. He is very much interested in fostering long-term links with the Faroes and many of their clubs to help them develop their football.

The squad selected for the opening two matches is as follows:

Squad Screen

Mortensen, A GK Petersen, M GK

Danielsen, A D/M RC Hansen, M D/DM RC

Jacobsen, J D/F RC Mortensen, V D/DM RC

Gregersen, Ó D/DM LC Jacobsen, J D/DM L

Poulsen, J D LC Dam, Ó D C

Gregersen, A D C Johannesen, A D C

Mikkelsen, J D/DM C Joensen, M DM RC

Benjaminsen, F DM C Højgaard, R M RLC

Johannesen, K M RC Justinussen, K M LC

Joensen, T M C Djurhuus, J AM RC

Nielsen, J AM/F C Olsen, S AM C

Borg, J F RC Petersen, F F RC

Fløtum, A F C Olsen, B S C

</pre>

Our 2 star players are undoubtably Ólavur Gregerson and Jón Rói Jacobsen and we'll need both to be on form if we are to get anything from our matches with Austria and Switzerland. We don't have the strength in depth to be able to carry our star players if they don't perform - they have to carry the lesser players with them if we are to be successful.

[This message was edited by Raptor on 08 March 2004 at 18:59.]

Faroe Islands vs Austria

from Tórsvøllur, Thórshavn

Referee: Pierluigi Collina

Saturday September 11th 2010

Team line-ups:

Faroe Islands:

Morten Petersen

Vagnur Mohr Mortensen Atli Gregerson Ólavur Gregerson John Jacobsen

Fróði Benjaminsen Jan Djurhuus Andrew av Fløtum

|

|

Jón Rói Jacobsen | Kári Justinussen

| | |

| \ / |

| |

| |

| |

\ / Jákup á Borg \ /

Roland Linz Roman Wallner

/ \ / \

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

Markus Weissenberger Andreas Ivanschitz Stefan Kulovitz Joachim Standfest

Emanuel Pogatetz Christian Eisele Alexander Proyer Martin Stranzl

Alex Manninger

</pre>

Austria

[This message was edited by Raptor on 08 March 2004 at 18:58.]

FT: Faroe Islands 0-2 Austria

Wallner 45

Kulovits 68

</pre>

Austria were never in much danger of defeat in Tórshavn after Roman Wallner had given them the lead just before half time. In a close first half, there were few chances for either side and the Faroese approach play was for the most part rather unimaginative with sole striker Jákup á Borg seeing very little of the ball and Jón Rói Jacobsen and Jan Djurhuus being guilty of giving away possession too often as they attempted to run with the ball. With the half drawing to a close, the Faroe Islands' previously tight defence failed to pick up Wallner as Alexander Proyer played a through ball and the Austrian striker slotted clinically past Petersen.

The Faroe Islands switched to a more adventurous attacking formation in the second half, throwing on Fróði Petersen to add more options upfront, but still failed to create any scoring opportunites as the Austrian defence comfortably cut out and mopped up the Faroese attacks. With 68 minutes on the clock, Joachim Standfest found Stefan Kulovits in space and another neat finish saw the Austrians take a 0-2 lead that they never looked like surrendering. Alex Manninger had to be at his best to make two good saves late on for the Austrians, but the cutting edge just wasn't there for the Faroese and at the final whistle no-one could really argue with the final score.

New Faroese manager Adam Eckersley was disappointed with the result and performance, but said he knew it would be tough and that his side were expected to lose every match in the group. He pointed to the two defensive errors, failing to pick up opposition players in dangerous positions as the reason for the defeat whilst also conceding that the Faroese attacking play lacked any decisiveness and his players constantly gave the ball away. Eckersley remained upbeat however, saying that his side had created some chances and that the defending apart from those 2 mistakes had been solid. It remains to be seen how many changes are made to personnel and tactics for what is sure to be an even tougher fixture, away in Switzerland on Wednesday.

Switzerland vs Faroe Islands

from St. Jakobspark, Basel

Wednesday September 15th 2010

Team line-ups:

Faroe Islands:

Morten Petersen

Vagnur Mohr Mortensen Atli Gregerson Ólavur Gregerson John Jacobsen

Mortan Hansen Jan Djurhuus Andrew av Fløtum

|

|

Jón Rói Jacobsen | Kári Justinussen

| | |

| \ / |

| |

| |

| |

\ / Jákup á Borg \ /

Alexandre Hohl

/ \ / \ / \

| | |

| | |

| | |

Julien Cardinale Raphael Wicky Remo Meyer Johann Vogel Ricardo Cabanas

Alain Rochat Pascal Egli Murat Yakin Phillipe Senderos

Diego Benaglio

</pre>

Switzerland

Author's note: teams written the wrong way round because I couldn't be bothered switching a near identical Faroese team to the away side icon_razz.gif

[This message was edited by Raptor on 08 March 2004 at 18:58.]

FT: Switzerland 1-0 Faroe Islands

Vonlanthen 87

</pre>

In a heart-breaking finale for a brave Faroese team in Basel, out of favour PSV Eindhoven striker Johan Vonlanthen, on as a substitute, grabbed a late winner to give Switzerland all 3 points in this Euro 2012 qualifier. The statistics of the match will show that the Swiss had 17 shots on goal to the Faroes' 2, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Only 6 of Switzerland's shots were on target and few troubled the Faroese at all who defended excellently for most of the match before allowing Vonlanthen in. The Faroe Islands' main problem was again their creation of chances when attacking. On numerouos occasions they found themselves in promising positions, but their wingers dwelled too long on the ball to be dispossessed before crossing or just ran the ball out of play.

With the score still 0-0 well into the second half, the Faroese began to attack more and more which was greatly to their credit. Had they carried on defensively perhaps they would have got the 0-0 they deserved, but they created numerous openings, only to find a Swiss defender in the way to clear the ball or tackle before the Faroese strikers could get a shot in. In the dying minutes, before Vonlanthen scored, Jón Rói Jacobsen had a glorious opportunity to give the Faroes the lead as the ball broke to him 10 yards out, leaving him one on one with the goalkeeper, but the winger/striker slid the ball agonisingly wide. The Faroes still had time to create a couple more chances, but again the Swiss defenders closed in before the Faroese could pull the trigger.

Manager Adam Eckersley looked distraught after his side's late loss of what would have been a well-earned point, but can take solace from the fact that his team defended extremely well and did create chances. The problems were mainly in the crossing and shooting department with the Faroese players needing just too long on the ball to measure their crosses and shots which the Swiss didn't allow them. With a home match against Northern Ireland next month before a long break, Eckersley will be hoping he can alter things around to create more chances in what must be the Faroese' best chance of a win or at least a draw.

I like this so far, always interesting to see an international story about a minor team. We've had lots of rags-to-riches stories at club level, but eventual glory for the dwarfs of international football are very, very rare indeed.

Keep it up icon14.gif

Thursday 7th October 2010

Time seems to be whizzing by for me at the moment and I'd completely forgotten my my next International match was in just 9 days when I got an e-mail from FIFA asking me to confirm my squad. Having taken a long time looking at the stats and reports on all the players available to me for my last squad however, I'll be keeping mostly the same players. Jákup á Borg and Birgir Olsen are both out for a month though giving me a headache upfront. Jákup has played as a lone striker from the start of my previous 2 games with Birgir coming on as a sub later in the game so with me wanting to switch to 2 upfront for the visit of Northern Ireland to Tórshavn, I have a few headaches upfront. The Faroe Islands are not over endowed with top class strikers so to lose 2 of my best is a serious problem. One of the Faroe Islands' top 3 players, Rógvi Jacobsen, is still out injured also so hasn't featured for me at all so far.

In the end, I decided to call up 3 new strikers, leaving Teitur Joensen(MC) out from my last squad to make room for Christian Holst who has 31 caps to his name and 4 goals, Bárður Mortansson who, at 31, has yet to play for his country and Teitur Rasmussen, a 26 year old forward with 1 goal from 6 caps. I decided to try out three more strikers and drop a midfield player to give me more attacking options for a match where I want to really take the game to our opponents, unlike our more cautious approach against Austria and Switzerland. The bookies have us at 13-2 as the home side with Northern Ireland 2-5 favourites so nothing is expected of us and if we lose no-one will be surprised so there is nothing to be lost in really giving it a go.

With National squad selection sorted out I now have to turn my attention to this Saturday's Ross County vs Falkirk top of the SPL clash before heading out to the Faroes to prepare for our big game. It's been hectic so far, but with a lot of the spadework done in selecting my first squad when I had many a long night burning the midnight oil reading through player reports and the like, national squad selection is a lot easier now. Archie has said he is more than happy for me to send our club scouts, who have been kicking their heels of late with us not looking to sign any players for Ross County, to check out various fringe Faroese players to consider for future squads so 2 of our scouts are currently out having fun and taking notes on players at Faroese league matches for us!

Faroe Islands vs Northern Ireland

from Tórsvøllur, Tórshavn

Referee: Gilles Veissière

Saturday October 16th 2010

Team line-ups:

Faroe Islands:

Morten Petersen

Vagnur Mohr Mortensen Atli Gregerson Ólavur Gregerson Jan Poulsen

Jón Rói Jacobsen Janus Mikkelson

\

\

Jan Djurhuus \ Kári Justinussen

| \ |

| _| |

| |

| |

| |

\ / Bárður Mortansson Andrew av Flotum \ /

</pre>

Northern Ireland:

<------------Paul McVeigh David Healy---------->

/ \ Andrew Johnston Philip Mulryne Darren Gibson / \

| |

| |

| |

Stephen McClean Damien Johnson

<-------George McCartney Gary McCourt Aaron Hughes------->

Roy Carroll

</pre>

Faroe Islands 2-1 Northern Ireland

av Flotum 71 McVeigh 36

Rasmussen 82

</pre>

The Faroe Islands rode their luck in Thorshavn to record an excellent and morale boosting victory in this Euro 2012 Group 3 qualifying match. The Faroese passing was, if anything, less assured and accurate than in their matches against Austria and Switzerland, but this time they put away enough of the few chances they created to secure the victory. The win was looking very unlikely however, when on 36 minutes Paul McVeigh was fed by Stephen McClean to slot home neatly from a tight angle. The Faroe Islands were creating very few chances themselves, just one in the first half, but were at least defending solidly again with McVeigh's goal their only major problem.

With just 20 minutes left, manager Adam Eckersley was urging his players forward, having thrown on Hojgaard, Rasmussen and Olsen as his team tried to salvage something from this game. On 71 minutes, Suni Olsen fed a superb pass through for Andrew av Fløtum to sidestep the Northern Irish goalkeeper for the Faroe Islands' first goal of the qualifying campaign. Eckersley wasn't satisfied with a single point however and despite his push for 3 points in Switzerland having unravelled he again shouted at his players to keep attacking and taking chances and on 82 minutes the risk paid dividends as Hojgaard crossed for substitute Teitur Rasmussen to head home the winner for his 2nd goal in 7 caps.

Manager Adam Eckersley was delighted with the result, commenting that luck is needed in these type of matches and that his team hadn't played as well as they had in Switzerland, but that their performances across the 3 matches so far was worthy of the 3 points they now have in the group. In the other match in Group 3, Chelsea's Miroslav Klose scored an 89th minute winner for Germany as they squeezed past Switzerland 1-0 with Michael Ballack seemingly having blown Germany's chances with a missed penalty on 85. The Euro 2012 qualifying tournament now takes a long winter break with the next match for the Faroe Islands being a very difficult away tie in Germany on 6th April 2011. 4 days earlier, Northern Ireland host Germany while Switzerland face Austria

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Germany | | 2 | 2 | 0 | 0 | 2 | 0 | +2 | 6 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Switzerland | | 3 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 0 | 4 |

| 3rd | | Austria | | 2 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 2 | 1 | +1 | 3 |

| 4th | | Faroe Islands | | 3 | 1 | 0 | 2 | 2 | 4 | -2 | 3 |

| 5th | | N.Ireland | | 2 | 0 | 1 | 1 | 2 | 3 | -1 | 1 |

Saturday 11th September 2010

Faroe Islands 0 : 2 Austria

N.Ireland 1 : 1 Switzerland

Wednesday 15th September 2010

Switzerland 1 : 0 Faroe Islands

Austria 0 : 1 Germany

Saturday 16th October 2010

Germany 1 : 0 Switzerland

Faroe Islands 2 : 1 N.Ireland

</pre>

Article from the Dingwall Times on Saturday 1st January 2011

Eckersley's Faroes leap 7 places

Hamish Brodie reports:

Ross County manager Adam Eckersley was today absolutely delighted as the new FIFA world rankings were published, seeing his Faroese team rise 7 places from 151st to 144th in the world. Whilst it is only a small rise, Eckersley is very pleased that his team are heading in the right direction despite 2 defeats in their 3 matches so far in the qualifying for Euro 2012. With the Faroes expected to lose or at best draw each match in their group, any win was likely to reflect favourably in their FIFA ranking.

How far the Faroes can rise in the rankings remains to be seen, but with the likes of Grenada, Tahiti, Turkmenistan, Gabon, Azerbaijan, Saint Lucia, The Cook Islands, Vanuatu and Lesotho occupying places between the Faroes and Eckersley's target of a top 100 ranking, there is potential for a further rise if the team can put together some decent results in their upcoming matches.

Elsewhere in the Faroese group, Northern Ireland dropped a place to 86th, Switzerland dropped 5 places to 83rd, Austria fell to 66th from 61st and Germany rose impressively from 28th up to 19th. The current top 20 in the FIFA rankings are as follows:

1. Brazil

2. Nigeria

3. France

4. Argentina

5. Ukraine

6. South Korea

7. Colombia

8. Cameroon

9. Senegal

10. Japan

11. Australia

12. Norway

13. Egypt

14. South Africa

15. Greece

16. Croatia

17. United States

18. Italy

19. Germany

20. Algeria

Other rankings of note:

27. Republic of Ireland

34. England

51. Holland

53. Wales

59. Spain

62. Scotland

Germany vs Faroe Islands

from BayArena, Munich

Referee: Kenny Clark

Wednesday April 6th 2011

Team line-ups:

Faroe Islands:

Morten Petersen

Vagnur Mohr Mortensen Atli Gregerson Hallur Lakjuni Ólavur Gregerson

Magni Joensen

Jón Rói Jacobsen Rógvi Jacobsen

| |

| |

| |

| |

Jan Djurhuus | | Rógvi Hojgaard

| \ / \ / |

| |

| |

| |

| |

\ / Birgir Olsen \ /

</pre>

Germany:

<------------Miroslav Klose Benjamin Lauth---------->

Sebastian Deisler

<------------Michael Ballack Thorsten Frings---------->

Sebastian Kehl

Tobias Rau Christoph Metzelder Robert Huth Phillipp Lahm

Timo Hildebrand

</pre>

FT: Germany 4-0 Faroe Islands

Lauth 14

Frings 60

Dietz pen 83,86

</pre>

Despite the scoreline, solid defending was again the hallmark of this Faroese performance, at least for the first hour of the game. The Faroe Islands went into this game knowing full well that they had next to no chance of getting anything out of it so they came to defend and did so with great success in the first half, but when you create so few chances and struggle to get out of your own half against such classy opposition, even the best defending is likely to come undone from time to time. So it was on 14 minutes when Benjamin Lauth put the Germans infront. From then on, the writing was on the wall for the Faroes who switched tactics around numerous times in an attempt to create more chances whilst staying tight defensively.

Ultimately, the Germans' pressure paid off on the hour mark as Torsten Frings fired in after a corner was unsuccessfully cleared. Faroese manager Adam Eckersley again switched tactics around and threw on some attacking substitutes in a brave attempt to nick a goal, but with more and more spaces appearing in the Faroese defence the Germans were always likely to add to their tally. A penalty 7 minutes from time and a 4th goal 3 minutes later, both from Sascha Deitz wrapped up what was, in the end, a comfortable win for the home side, with the Faroese having just one good effort on goal all match.

In the other group match, Austria scored an injury time equaliser to draw 2-2 at home to Northern Ireland. 4 days earlier, Germany had won 1-2 away to the Northern Irish while Switzerland and Austria played out a 3-3 draw. With Germany well in control of the group, the 2nd place is still wide open, but Austria and Switzerland appear to be the favourites as the group heads into the second half with the return fixtures.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Germany 4 4 0 0 8 1 +7 12

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Austria 4 1 2 1 7 6 +1 5

3rd Switzerland 4 1 2 1 5 5 0 5

4th Faroe Islands 4 1 0 3 2 8 -6 3

5th N.Ireland 4 0 2 2 5 7 -2 2

</pre>

Match Report & Interview from the Dingwall Times on Saturday 11th June 2011

Faroese manager admits frustration and disappointment

Hamish Brodie speaks to Ross County and Faroe Islands manager Adam Eckersley:

FT: Austria 3-0 Faroe Islands

Wallner 45, 84

Math 89

</pre>

Two late goals yet again condemned the Faroe Islands to a heavy defeat in their Euro 2012 qualifying match in Austria today. The Austrians were frustrated in the first half by resolute Faroese defending, but finally broke the deadlock on the stroke of half time as Roman Wallner drove the ball past the despairing dive of Mortan Peterson. The Faroese switched to 4-2-4 for the second half in an attempt to get the equaliser, but again failed to create chances as Austria punished the visitors with late goals from Bernhard Math and Roman Wallner again.

A distraught and unhappy Faroese manager Adam Eckersley spoke extensively to me after the match on how difficult the Faroe Islands job really is.

Hamish: Adam, you look thoroughly dejected by today's result - had you expected more?

Adam: Ach! It's not just today's result Hamish, we were expected to get beaten by Austria just like by Germany and we did. I'm just disappointed and frustrated by the way our matches have gone at times.

Hamish: The job is different to what you expected?

Adam: I don't know, I don't really think so. I knew it'd be tough, I knew we'd be likely to lose whenever we took to the field. As a manager though you have to have a belief in yourself and maybe I had hopes that we could perhaps do something more than we have, that I could make a difference. It's been hard though - almost all the players I can choose from are lacking match practice, they mostly play in the Faroese league and it's a huge step up for them to play against international teams.

Hamish: The win against Northern Ireland must have pleased you immensely though?

Adam: Sure, it's not all been bad - that was the one game were we really managed to create and take some chances and the lads were fantastic and fully deserved the win. We have some talented players in the squad, they just don't seem to have the confidence. Attacking we always seem to need one touch more than you are allowed at this level to get a cross in, play a killer pass or get a shot off.

Hamish: Are you regretting taking the job when you could almost certainly have taken an easier international job?

Adam: Not at all, Hamish. I'm not looking for an easy job and I love a challenge, it's just sometimes you look at the results, look at the performances and just can't see how things will improve. I guess I'm so disappointed and unhappy at the moment because I feel clueless how to improve our performances. Of course we are expected to lose every game, but that's no help to me - if we go onto the pitch thinking we have lost before we even kick off we might as well not turn up at all. I have to find some tactics, chose a team that can compete and create chances both at home and away to at least give us a chance.

Hamish: There have been positive signs though in your 5 matches so far haven't there?

Adam: If you ask me that tomorrow I'd probably be back to my usual self and be finding all the positives from all our performances - it's just tough sometimes straight after a match where you feel you tried everything and nothing worked. Our defending has been really solid for the most part in all our matches. I know that sounds stupid when you look at the table and see 11 goals conceded, but so often we have just made one defensive error or the opposition made one incisive pass. We've conceded 5 of those 11 goals in the last 10 minutes of matches which at least shows we defended well for the first 80 minutes for the most part. We just don't have the creativity and attacking flair at the moment to come back from going a goal down. Away from home I have to admit I am struggling to work out how to play it when we go a goal down - when we try to chase the game we concede late goals, but carrying on defensively isn't my style and doesn't seem very promising either.

Hamish: Can you see the Faroe Islands qualifying for a World Cup or European Championships at all?

Adam: To be honest Hamish, it looks about as likely as putting a man on Pluto, but things change, we'll maybe find some new young players coming through or maybe begin to work better and pass better as a team and gain confidence. It was never likely that we'd qualify for Euro 2012, just to win some games is an achievement, but as a manager, losing hurts, even if it's expected by everyone - I'm used to winning now with Ross County and it's hard to just admit that the other team are a class apart from us on a football field. I'm not going to give up though - there's no pressure of course from the fans or the FA, they are delighted we beat Northern Ireland, the pressure is all from myself on myself. I love the Faroe Islands as a country now though, I love the people and I desperately want to make the fans proud of their national team. Maybe I'll fail, but if I do I'll fail having given it all I can.

Hamish: Well we wish you all the best and I know the Ross County Faroese supporters group fully intend to keep following your progress and travelling to Torshavn and around Europe to support you.

Adam: Thanks Hamish. I have to say, it makes me feel proud and a real part of something special when I see the Ross County flags at Faroe Islands matches and the fans supporting me. The fans of Ross County have taken me to their heart and their support means the world to me - for them to travel to support me when I'm managing the Faroe Islands is something quite special.

Northern Ireland vs Faroe Islands

from Windsor Park, Belfast

Referee: Stefano Farina

Wednesday 15th June 2011

Team line-ups:

Faroe Islands:

Morten Petersen

Vagnur Mohr Mortensen Atli Gregerson Ólavur Gregerson Jan Poulsen

Rógvi Jacobsen

Jan Djurhuus Súni Olsen Kári Justinussen

| | |

| | |

| | |

\ / | \ /

|

|

\ /

Teitur Rasmussen Andrew av Flotum

</pre>

Northern Ireland:

<------------Stuart Elliot Paul McVeigh---------->

/ \ Darren Gibson Andrew Johnston Damien Johnson / \

| |

| |

| |

Stephen McClean John Anderson

<-------George McCartney Danny Griffin Aaron Hughes------->

Roy Carroll

</pre>

[This message was edited by glamdring on 11 March 2004 at 0:27.]

FT: Northern Ireland 4-0 Faroe Islands

Johnston 24

McVeigh 37, 41, 46

</pre>

In a disappointing performance at Windsor Park, Belfast, the Faroe Islands were outclassed by Northern Ireland as Paul McVeigh hit a hat-trick to add to Andrew Johnston's opener. The Faroes again failed to create more than a single chance and despite some decent passing looked pretty woeful. Manager Adam Eckersley must be wondering what he can change for the two home matches against Switzerland and Germany to finish the group. In the other Group 3 match, Germany won 0-2 in Switzerland, who were leapfrogged by Northern Ireland who move 3rd in the group. The Faroes now prop up the group having scored just 2 goals and conceded 15.

Match Summary from the Dingwall Times on Wednesday 14th September 2011

Two off as Faroes crash again

Jan Poulson and Rógvi Jacobsen were both sent off as the Faroe Islands crashed to their 5th defeat of the calender year in their Euro 2012 qualifying group. The only positive from a dismal game for the Faroese was an excellent solo goal from Jan Djurhuus, their first since the 2-1 win over Northern Ireland. Other than that there was very little positive for manager Adam Eckersley to take from this match.

Playing an attacking 4-4-2 formation, the Faroes were ripped apart throughout the game as the Swiss created 20 shots on goal, David Huber scoring the first on just 6 minutes, with Phillippe Meoli adding a hat-trick with 2 before the break and 1 in injury time at the end of the game.

Speaking after the match, Eckersley was extremely frank saying that his team were outclassed in all areas and must improve on the basics if they are to progress at all as a footballing nation. He commented that the lack of competitive match practice for his players was a serious problem and the step up is just proving too great for many. He did however take time to hail Jan Djurhuus' excellent goal as giving a glimmer of hope that the Faroes can at least score.

FT: Faroe Islands 1-4 Switzerland

Djurhuus 66 Huber 6

Meoli 31, 37, 90

Poulsen s/o 46

Jacobsen s/o 73

</pre>

Summer 2012

It's been a while since I updated my Faroese diaries so it's time to bring the good public up to date, although as is the case with International football management when you don't qualify for the major tournaments there hasn't been a huge amount happening.

We finished our Euro 2012 qualifying group disappointingly with the closer early matches being replaced by a series of thrashings in which we couldn't possibly claim we were unlucky - we were just outclassed. The group finished on a slightly more positive note though with the visit of Germany to Thorshavn for the final game of the group. They had already qualified and we were of course well out of it so it was in some senses a meaningless match, but one which gave us some hope for the future. We lost, of course, but having conceded 4 at home to Switzerland, we went down just 0-1 against the Germans as our defence returned to its more solid style. Sure we didn't score a goal, but we have to take all the positives we can get.

Come the New Year there was disappointment, but no surprise as we dropped back 4 places to 148th in the FIFA rankings. Having lost all our games in 2011 it was inevitable that we would drop down the rankings, but at least we are still 3 places higher than when I took over. Admittedly that says more about the standard of the teams around our ranking than about us since we won just 1 match in that time and lost 7, but that is what represents success were we are. With Ross County I am so used to winning now - we have moulded an excellent team of young (and some more experienced) Scots and have won 5 out of the last 6 SPL titles and competed well with Inter in the Champions League Final. With the Faroes though it is all different and it can be hard sometimes to switch from one mentality to the other - if Ross County lose a game we are disappointed and feel we should do better, if the Faroes lose a game then it's just what everyone expects, if we win a game then it is cause for great celebration. I have to admit I have been really frustrated managing the Faroes at times - that feeling of helplessness that whatever you do the players just can't compete with the opposition. At times I considered giving it up, admitting defeat, admitting that the Scottish press were right, but no - I have never walked away from a challenge and nor will I now. To that end, I decided against taking up the offer from the Swedish FA to lead their nation into the World Cup 2014 qualifiers.

Speaking of the World Cup qualifiers, the groups have now been drawn for those qualifiers and see us this time in a 6 team group. We will again have to pit our wits against Germany who are the highest ranking team in our group. Again we will be favourites to finish bottom of the group and to lose every game, but we'll do our best. A number of key players have retired this summer which is disappointing, but with new players will perhaps come a new dawn for Faroese international football. The full listing of qualifying groups is below, together with the rankings for all teams.

World Cup 2014 Qualification

1st (97) FYR of Macedonia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd (148) Faroe Islands 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd (56) Finland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th (15) Germany 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th (96) Lithuania 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

6th (55) Russia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1st (99) Albania 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd (58) Bulgaria 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd (137) Latvia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th (44) Portugal 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th (190) San Marino 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

6th (5) Ukraine 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1st (109) Estonia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd (19) Greece 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd (186) Liechtenstein 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th (65) Romania 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th (63) Turkey 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

6th (62) Wales 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1st (193) Andorra 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd (16) Czech Republic 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd (31) Denmark 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th (102) Georgia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th (82) Hungary 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

6th (107) Kazakhstan 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1st (20) Italy 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd (173) Malta 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd (144) Moldova 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th (54) Scotland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th (26) Sweden 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

6th (89) Switzerland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1st (49) Austria 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd (17) Croatia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd (117) Cyprus 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th (32) England 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th (161) Luxembourg 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

6th (61) Slovakia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1st (127) Armenia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd (124) Azerbaijan 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd (41) Belgium 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th (59) Holland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th (83) Israel 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

6th (66) Poland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1st (111) Bosnia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd (2) France 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd (71) Iceland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th (21) Ireland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th (13) Norway 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1st (72) Belarus 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2nd (90) N.Ireland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

3rd (36) Serbia & Mont. 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

4th (69) Slovenia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th (46) Spain 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

</pre>

And if you are wondering who fills the rest of the top spots in the rankings, the current FIFA top 20 are as follow:

1. Brazil

2. France (World Cup holders)

3. Nigeria

4. South Korea

5. Ukraine

6. Argentina

7. Cameroon

8. United States

9. Senegal

10. Colombia

11. Egypt

12. Australia

13. Norway

14. South Africa

15. Germany

16. Czech Republic

17. Croatia

18. Algeria

19. Greece

20. Italy (Euro 2012 winners)

We kick off at home to Germany on Saturday 8th September, followed by a trip to Macedonia 4 days later.

[This message was edited by glamdring on 20 March 2004 at 12:51.]

[This message was edited by glamdring on 20 March 2004 at 12:52.]

International roundup from The Dingwall Times on Saturday 8th September 2012

Plucky Faroes hold Germans as Malta stun Scotland

Angus McIntyre reports:

A gritty and determined performance from the Faroe Islands in Thorshavn today saw the plucky underdogs gain an historic draw against hot favourites Germany in the World Cup 2014 qualfying group 1. The Germans created more of the chances and controlled the play for large sections of the game, but the Faroes looked much more lively than in recent years, playing with an adventurous 4-3-3 formation against Germany's attacking 4-4-2. Dirk Kellner gave Germany the lead after 16 minutes, but resolute defending from the Faroes kept the score to 0-1 until, on 82 minutes, debutant Allan Andreasen got behind the German defence and finished neatly to give the Faroes a brilliant 1-1 draw. Ross County & Faroese manager Adam Eckersley was delighted by his team's performance and by the result as he hailed his debutant goalscorer and other new caps saying he hoped the team could push on from this result to win some games in the group.

FT: Faroe Islands 1-1 Germany

In Malta there was disaster for a lethargic Scotland side who created just 2 clear chances, one of which was put away by Kenny Miller late on, but in injury time at the end of the game, Malta broke upfield and Roderick Falzon scored a deserved equaliser for the home side.

There was great news for Ross County players - the back 4 for Scotland, as has been the case regularly of late was made up entirely of Ross County players with David Dunne and Kerr Dodds as full-backs and the versatile Alan Reid joining Nick James in the centre of defence. Perhaps of even more pleasure for Ross County manager Adam Eckersley were the debuts for 3 of his players as substitutes. John Rankin and Ross O'Donoghue at 29 must have thought their chances of international caps had passed, but both came on as second half substitutes along with centre-back John MacDonald who had had to withdraw from his first Scotland call-up through injury. The 25 year old centre-back has been somewhat of a late blossomer, but is now a stalwart at the heart of Ross County's defence.

FT: Malta 1-1 Scotland

Elsewhere, in the Faroe Islands' group, Lithuania stunned Finland by drawing 2-2 away from home whilst Russia kicked off their qualifying campaign with a 3-1 win over Macedonia to top the embrionic group table. In Scotland's group Italy hammered Moldova 5-1 while Switzerland and Sweden shared the points in a 2-2 draw.

Other results of note included England suffering a shock home defeat 0-1 to Austria, Wales held 1-1 by Turkey, Poland beat Holland 2-1 and Ireland went down by a goal to nil in Iceland.

International roundup from The Dingwall Times on Wednesday 12th September 2012

Brave Faroes beaten while Scotland rout Switzerland

Angus McIntyre reports:

The Faroe Islands battled hard in Skopje tonight, taking the lead through Jan Djurhuus and holding on until first half injury time before Vlatko Grozdanovski squeezed a shot in off the near post to equalise. FYR of Macedonia had the better of the second half, and on 67 minutes took a winning lead as Aco Stojkov ran clear. There were certainly positive signs for the Faroes, creating 4 good attempts on goal and forcing the Macedonian 'keeper into a good save and Macedonian defenders to get in some crucial tackles. Manager Adam Eckersley was disappointed to get nothing from the game having taken the lead, but will look positively on the performance.

FT: FYR of Macedonia 2-1 Faroe Islands

At Hampden Park, Scotland turned on the style as a Kenny Miller hat-trick helped his side to a comfortable 5-0 win over Switzerland. The Swiss defending was quite appalling at times as twice balls over the top found them flat-footed as Miller raced onto the through ball to fire home. Ross County's Kerr Dodds was in superb form, claiming two assists and scoring an excellent goal after Stephen Pearson had headed in from a corner for Scotland's 4th. John MacDonald made an assured full debut at the back alongside club-mate Nick James with Richard Rhodes winning his second cap on the left wing.

FT: Scotland 5-0 Switzerland

Germany comfortably saw off Finland with a 4-0 win in Berlin while Lithuania continued to surprise with a 2-2 draw at home to Russia. Germany top the group after 2 games from Russia with the Faroes sitting 5th, just above Finland. In Scotland's group Moldova and Malta drew 1-1 while Sweden shocked Italy with a 1-0 win in Stockholm.

In group 3, Wales drew 2-2 in Romania with Estonia pulling off a surprise 1-4 win in Turkey. In Group 6 England bounced back from their defeat by Austria to beat Croatia 2-0 to move second in the group behind the Austrians who won 0-2 away to Cyprus.

Tough luck...

We were expecting a draw against Macedonia...Anyway it wasn't that bad.

(It's always good to read your stories and it is surely something new to be enjoying a thread where the team I'm following has a P 10 W 1 D 1 L 8 record so far... KUTGW)

International roundup from The Dingwall Times on Saturday 13th October 2012

Faroes and Scotland both bag valuable points

Angus McIntyre reports:

In a very even match in Thorshavn, the points were shared between the Faroes and Lithuania after Nerijus Zutautas had given Lithuania a first half lead. The Faroese fought back well however and on the stroke of half time, Allan Andreasen broke clear through the Lithuanian defence to finish neatly for his 2nd goal of the qualifying campaign. Both side created chances in the second half amid some questionable defending, but the quality of the finishing matched that of the defending and in the end both sides had to settle for a point. With the Lithuanians having been expected to win here, this was another good result for Adam Eckersley's Faroe Islands side and he must be pleased with the form of Andreasen who seems to be providing the cutting edge the Faroese were missing previously - now they just need to add more creativity to their play to create more chances for their strikers to put away.

FT: Faroe Islands 1-1 Lithuania

4 Ross County players started for Scotland as they headed to Milan looking for a point against group favourites Italy. In a truly excellent match with some superb passing moves and a very high level of quality, bith sides created chances, but Gianluigi Buffon in the Italy goal proved equal to the best efforts of Scott Brown and Kenny Miller whilst at the other end David Marshall kept out good shots from Brighi, Pazzini and Cassano. Scotland will be far happier than Italy with this point with Nick James in especially commanding form at the back.

FT: Italy 0-0 Scotland

Germany travelled to Macedonia, recording back to back wins as they ran out comfortable 0-2 winners to stay top of group 1 on goal difference from Russia who beat Finland 2-1 to leave the Fins bottom of the group still. In Scotland's group 5 Sweden breezed past Moldova 5-0 while Switzerland brushed aside the challenge of Malta with a 4-0 win. Sweden now top the group with 7 points, 2 ahead of Scotland and 3 ahead of Italy and Switzerland.

In Group 6, England managed a narrow 2-3 win away to Slovakia and were boosted by the sensational news that group leaders Austria had been beaten 2-3 at home by lowly Luxembourg. In Group 3, Wales suffered a heavy defeat, going down 0-3 at home to a Greece side who now top their group. Group 8 saw wins for Norway in Iceland and the Republic of Ireland who beat Bosnia 3-1.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jordivf:

Tough luck...

We were expecting a draw against Macedonia...Anyway it wasn't that bad.

(It's always good to read your stories and it is surely something new to be enjoying a thread where the team I'm following has a P 10 W 1 D 1 L 8 record so far... KUTGW)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks icon_smile.gif

I have to admit I started to lose a bit of interest in giving lots of detail on constant 4-0 and 3-0 thrashings, but the enthusiasm is back now with a few decent performances again icon_smile.gif

Author's Note:

Okay, my fury has lessened slightly to the extent that I have managed to re-open my Ross County/Faroes save having closed it in disgust a few days ago after the last Faroes match and not opened it again since icon_biggrin.gif Time to report on the game now before the irritation becomes too much again icon_razz.gif

Finland vs Faroe Islands

from Ratinan Stadion, Tampere

Referee: Muhittin Bosat

Saturday 30th March 2013

Team line-ups:

Finland:

Peter Enckelman

Sami Uotila Petri Pasanen Hannu Tihinen Pekka Mäkitalo

Matti Lähitie Teemu Tainio Antti Okkonen Jussi-Pekka Savolainen

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

\ / Hermanni Vuorinen Mikael Forssell \ /

</pre>

Faroe Islands:

<---------Allan Andreasen Rúni Poulsen Kristian Nielsen--------->

/ \

|

|

|

|

|

|

Kári Justinussen Jan Djurhuus Magni Joensen

Hallur Lakjuni Kári Mortensen Ólavur Gregerson Mortan Hansen

Mortan Peterson

</pre>

FT: Finland 3-2 Faroe Islands

Tainio 50 K. Mortensen 10

Mäkelä 78, 88 K. Nielsen 48

</pre>

This was a truly fantastic performance from the Faroe Islands, the like of which the fans from this small nation have not seen for many a year. Forget, for a moment, the cruel final scoreline - no-one who was there could have denied that the Faroes deserved a point from this game - the performance from this team was truly inspired. Finland may be bottom of their group, but with vastly experienced and highly skilled players such as Hannu Tihinen, Petri Pasanen and Mikael Forssell, they are clearly a level above the lowest rung of European teams containing the Faroe Islands. The bare final statistics show that the Faroes conceded 3 goals and took 0 points from this qualifying match, but dig a little deeper and you find a team who managed to create 14 efforts on goal throughout this match, away from home, 11 of them on target, a team whose passing was at times insightful and incisive, cutting through the Finnish defence, a team who crossed well, tackled well and competed well for all their headers. Ultimately perhaps their fitness was what was telling - most of the squad play their football in the Faroe Islands league and are lacking in match fitness, but they can take great pride from this brave and gutsy performance.

It was in the 10th minute that the Faroe Islands won their 1st corner of the game, taken by Magni Joensen and headed in superbly at the near post by centre-back Kári Mortensen to give the away team a shock lead. In an eventful first half, both sides poured forward with some great attacking moves without a great deal of focus of defensive play yet as half time came, the Faroese goal held firm as the island side headed in 0-1 up at the break. The second half began in explosive fashion, just 3 minutes in as the Finnish defence failed to deal with a Faroese throw-in, the ball found Rúni Poulson and the striker's shot was spilled by Peter Enckelman who failed to react quick enough to stop Kristian Nielsen following in to put the small away following into raptures as their side extended their surprise lead to 0-2. The Faroese have not won an away match in over 10 years, but today they were really looking like a confident team capable of ending that long barren run. Unfortunately, whilst the attacking play was refreshingly slick and creative, the defending was looking less and less steadyand having pummelled various shots at the away goal, Finland finally made the breakthrough on 50 minutes as Savolainen crossed for Teemu Tainio to fire home the goal to give the Finns hope of avoiding embarrassment.

With the match heading into the final 15 minutes the Faroese were not only holding on, but matching their more illustrious opponents shot for shot and pass for pass as their fans looked constantly at their watches, willing the hands to tick round the next 15 minutes as fast as possible. On 78 minutes however, Finnish persistance paid off as Mikael Forssell fired the ball across the box, Peterson got a glove to it to clear as far as Okkonen who's neat chip was just about palmed away again by Peterson, but Juho Mäkelä was onhand and couldn't miss to make it 2-2. The Faroese players were clearly hugely disappointed, but to their credit they continued pushing on and competing strongly, looking for a winner and were finishing the stronger team with multiple efforts on goal in the last 10 minutes spurned before heartbreak 2 minutes from time as substitute Jussi Kujala crossed for Juho Mäkelä to volley home a brilliant finish. The Faroes piled forward and created 2 further efforts on goal, but come the final whistle it was another defeat, the Finns knew they had been pushed hard and were lucky, but in the end they had the 3 points that mattered.

Speaking after the match, Faroese manager Adam Eckersley was keen to stress the positives after admitting his team's defending cost them the game. Eckersley said he was delighted with his side's best attacking performance by a long way since he took over, creating far more chances than in the first 3 games put together and looking like they could score with almost every attack. Commenting on the first 4 group games as a whole Eckersley was again in upbeat mood: "No-one expected us to get anything against Germany and the 1-1 draw was a fantastic result for us, the defeat in Macedonia was disappointing, but fully expected - we know that it is at home really that we are most likely to have a chance at any points. Maybe after the Germany result some people thought we would beat Lithuania, but they are a top 100 ranked side and a draw was again a very creditable result. As for tonight, what can I say? Everyone who was here knows we deserved a point - we didn't deserve the win because we didn't defend well enough and you have to give credit to Finland for taking enough of their chances, but we can take a lot from this performance.

[This message was edited by glamdring on 26 March 2004 at 22:15.]

World Cup 2014 Qualification

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Germany 4 2 2 0 7 1 +6 8

2nd Russia 4 2 2 0 7 4 +3 8

3rd Lithuania 4 1 3 0 6 5 +1 6

4th Finland 4 1 1 2 6 10 -4 4

5th FYR of Macedonia 4 1 0 3 3 7 -4 3

6th Faroe Islands 4 0 2 2 5 7 -2 2

Saturday 8th September 2012

Russia 3 : 1 FYR of Macedonia

Faroe Islands 1 : 1 Germany

Finland 2 : 2 Lithuania

Wednesday 12th September 2012

Germany 4 : 0 Finland

FYR of Macedonia 2 : 1 Faroe Islands

Lithuania 2 : 2 Russia

Saturday 13th October 2012

Russia 2 : 1 Finland

FYR of Macedonia 0 : 2 Germany

Faroe Islands 1 : 1 Lithuania

Saturday 30th March 2013

Germany 0 : 0 Russia

Finland 3 : 2 Faroe Islands

Lithuania 1 : 0 FYR of Macedonia

</pre>

Author's Note:

Home team given second this time because it's almost the same team as last match and it's lots of effort to transpose them to the home team position icon_razz.gif

Faroe Islands vs Russia

from Tórsvøllur, Tórshavn

Referee: Jeff Winter

Wednesday 3rd April 2013

Team line-ups:

Russia:

Dmitry Andreev

Yury Semenov Sergey Savin Victor Demin Valery Tsvetkov

Vladimir Sevin Alexei Smertin Yegor Titov Eugeny Aldonin

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

\ / Marat Izmailov Anatoly Guerk \ /

</pre>

Faroe Islands:

<---------Allan Andreasen Jákup Poulsen Kristian Nielsen--------->

/ \

|

|

|

|

|

|

Kári Justinussen Jan Djurhuus Magni Joensen

John Jacobsen Kári Mortensen Ólavur Gregerson Kári Dahl

Mortan Peterson

</pre>

FT: Faroe Islands 0-0 Russia

This was a vast contrast from the Faroes' last match. Both sides defended well, but neither created much in the way of chances so the defenders were not over-extended at any point in the match. The Faroe Islands remain unbeaten from their 3 home matches in the group and on the face of it this is another excellent result to give them their 3rd point of the qualifying group. As a spectacle there is little else to say about the game - neither side deserved to win, neither side did win.

International roundup from The Dingwall Times on Saturday 8th June 2013

Germany sink Faroes while Scots thump Malta

Markus Merkle scored once in each half for Germany as they eased to victory against the Faroe Islands in their Wolrd Cup 2014 qualifying Group 1 clash in Leverkusen today. The Germans created numerous chances throughout the match with the Faroes only managing 2 shots on goal and 1 on target. The Faroe Islands will be relatively pleased with this result however as it was expected that Germany would win easily and by more of a margin.

FT: Germany 2-0 Faroe Islands

At Hampden Park, Scotland ran riot in the second half against a hapless Malta team. Barry Ferguson and Scott Brown fired the Scots into a 2-0 lead by half time on a match they controlled from start to finish with the Maltese failing to create a single chance. In the second half, Ross County's Alan Reid rose at the near post to head in a corner from club-mate David Dunne before Darren Fletcher turned in a Kenny Miller cross for 4-0 after 67 minutes. With Malta on the back foot, the Scots piled on the pressure into the last 10 minutes as first Kenny Miller fired home the rebound from Alan Reid's shot, then substitute Ian MacSween of Ross County who had only been on the field 3 minutes collected a Darren Fletcher pass to score the 6th and then added a 7th 5 minutes later from a Scott Brown cross.

FT: Scotland 7-0 Malta

Russia recorded a crucial 1-4 win away to Macedonia in the Faroese group with Lithuania again drawing, this time with Finland. In Scotland's group, Moldova held Italy to a shock draw as Sweden narrowly beat Switzerland 1-0.

Elsewhere, Portugal recorded an excellent 3-5 win away to Belgium, Wales were hammered 5-0 in Turkey, England grabbed a 0-2 win in Croatia and Ireland thrashed Iceland 4-0.

International roundup from The Dingwall Times on Wednesday 12th June 2013

Faroes and Scots held in goalless draws

In a very uneventful match in Thorshavn, the Faroe Islands maintained their unbeaten home record in the group with a 0-0 draw against FYR of Macedonia, The Faroese 4th draw of the group. Neither side created many scoring chances with Kári Dahl and Ingi Hojsted missing the only real chances of the match for the Faroes. Both sides passed the ball around neatly, but without any incisiveness so a 0-0 draw was the only result ever very likely.

FT: Faroe Islands 0-0 FYR of Macedonia

Scotland came away from Basel disappointed with their performance, but happy to have gained a point from a match in which the Swiss created more of the chances and will feel themselves unlucky not to have converted any to take the 3 points. Ross County's Mark McGlynn, David Dunne, Nick James and Kerr Dodds all featured in defence for the Scots.

FT: Switzerland 0-0 Scotland

Germany continued their domination of Group 1 with a 0-3 win in Finland as Lithuania held Russia to a 2-2 draw in Moscow. In Scotland's group it was draws all round as Malta and Moldova shared a 0-0 and Italy were held 1-1 by Sweden.

Germany now head Group 1 with 17 points, 4 ahead of Russia with Lithuania trailing in 3rd. In Group 2 Portugal head Ukraine, Albania and Bulgaria, while Greece and Estonia are tied top of Group 4, 4 points clear of Romania and Turkey. Denmark lead Group 4 with 19 points ahead of Czech Republic on 16 with Group 5 lead by Sweden, 2 points ahead of Scotland who are in turn 3 ahead of Italy. In Group 6 Austria and England share the lead with 18 points each, comfortably ahead of Croatia. Group 7 is extremely close with just 3 points seperating Belgium, Holland, Poland and Israel. France head Group 8 by 3 points from Norway and Ireland whilst in Group 9 favourites Spain lead Belarus by 3 points.

Thanks. It is fun managing a small nation. I just wish the Faroese league was implemented because it would be even more interesting if I could have the input at club level to bringing through and training players - I guess I'll have to wait a while for that though if it ever happens icon_biggrin.gif

Reports on those last 2 games were rather short because I was really frustrated - I went into holiday mode at the end of Ross County's season until the season tick-over and forgot I had 2 Faroes matches in that time so they were played in my absence icon_frown.gif

Saturday 7th September 2013

Well, it's a new season in the league and 3 final qualifying games for the Faroe Islands to play - the first two of which come today and on Wednesday, Lithuania (a) today and then Finland (h). As always seems to be the case with picking an international squad, we have been hit with injuries both before and after picking the squad of 26. Strikers Christian Holst, Kristian Poulson and Teitur Rasmussen, midfielders Jan Djurhuus and Jóan Petur Nielsen and defenders Atli Danielsen and John Kjærbo all may have featured in the squad, but were either unavailable or pulled out injured so we had to dig around finding yet more new players to call up. With a large number of players having retired over the last few seasons it is hard work trying to keep a settled team and mould anything together, but we have at least progressed from last qualifying campaign. The names will no doubt mean little to the reader, but since so much has changed, I'll include my current squad, including the team selection for the Lithuania match below. We'll be playing with a slight variation on our recently relatively successful 4-3-3 formation with one of our 3 midfielders dropping back to a DMC role to provide a little more protection to the back 4 whilst the other 2 have licence to roam forward and join the 3 strikers. Not sure how it'll do away to Lithuania - we are yet to pick up any points away from home, but the performance in Finland gave us a huge boost so we'll see if we can take our first away point from the group, a win might be asking a little too much - in fact, the Faroe Islands haven't won a competitive away match since a 0-2 win in Luxemburg on Saturday March 24th 2001!

6th in World Cup European Qualifying Section Group 1

Squad Screen

Lmp Joensen, J GK GK Lmp Joensen, P GK

DC Dahl, K D/M RC Hansen, R D R

FC Lmp Jacobsen, J D/F RC DR Kjærbo, H D R

DC Gregersen, Ó D/DM LC DL Lmp Jacobsen, J D/DM L

Joensen, J D/DM L SB5 Lmp Poulsen, J D LC

SB3 Lmp Dam, Ó D C Lmp Danielsen, R D/M C

SB4 Lmp Gregersen, A D C Lmp Olsen, K D/DM C

DMC Lmp Joensen, M DM RC MC Lmp Højgaard, M M RLC

SB2 Lmp Poulsen, J M/F RC Hojsted, I M C

Lmp Jørgensen, B AM LC MC Lmp Skorini, H AM C

SB1 Nielsen, K F RC SB7 Lmp Thorsteinsson, B F LC

FC Andreasen, A S C Lmp Nolsøe, R S C

SB6 Lmp Olsen, B S C FC Poulsen, J S C

</pre>

Author's Note

CM just crashed icon_mad.gif part way into the match so I had to reload the game 7 days earlier before 2 players withdrew through injury so this is a correction to my last post.

Jan Djurhuus and Teitur Rasmussen are still in the squad now instead of Thorsteinsson and Skorini and Djurhuus takes Skorini's place in the midfield, Rasmussen is on the bench.

Archived