Awful determination

Hi I started a Bolton save just for the challenge of getting them back to the prem and first season is going alright but...

What is up with the awful determination in my youth players? Is it randomized and I just have been very unlucky or could I have ruined it by hiring an unambitious sport director whose personality is pervading my squad? My head of youth doesnt have de best determination either so maybe its his doing for taking in all these lazy kids 😀

Edited by emil_sbn

7 minutes ago, emil_sbn said:

Hi I started a Bolton save just for the challenge of getting them back to the prem and first season is going alright but...

What is up with the awful determination in my youth players? Is it randomized and I just have been very unlucky or could I have ruined it by hiring an unambitious sport director whose personality is pervading my squad? My head of youth doesnt have de best determination either so maybe its his doing for taking in all these lazy kids 😀

The HoYD will certainly have an impact on your intake.  Better HoYDs won't guarantee improvement but it can improve the chances.

Yeah another question here I hired a director of football and then I delegated some tasks to him and my director and then she had hired another director of football. Now it seems I cant delegate stuff to The good one I hired just the new one 😪. I hired him just for his good player judgement and now I cant use him what to do now fire the new one? 

It's been an issue in FM fortever that the youth players coming up never seem to have as good mental stats overall as the players who start the game. Especially things like work rate and determination - not many players without work rate and determination would ever make it as professional footballers.

Edited by hazzabish

Yeah but just to clarify its my starting u18 that has awful determination but looks to have good potential. Bad as in determination 1-5 I have now hired more determined youth coaches to se if their perslnalities can help them and maybe try mentoring The worst ones. Anyone got a clue whats up with my director issue? 

If you got a new one hired, the old one (the one you are looking to delegate tasks to) shouldn't be at the club anymore which is why I am assuming you can't find him.

As for the HoYD thing... a bad HOYD doesn't guarantee a bad crop of regens, same as a good HoYD doesn't guarantee a good crop - but it sure is damn helpful.

I'm not saying I do this the correct way either, but here's my checklist to how I look for my HoYD (same goes a bit for filling out my youth coaches - I will never, ever hire a youth coach/physio/staff member that doesn't have a "positive" personality):

- Most important:  Personality.  I don't want bad personalities not only for the influence over the regen class, but because I don't want the regens I do get surrounded by them.  "positive" personalities are 100% a must for all of my backroom staff.

- Secondary importance:  Preferred Style and Formation.  This is where it can get a bit wonky for me.  You absolutely won't get hired if you have a bad personality, but if I'm not at a big club with all the hiring options open to me sometimes this is where I make concessions.  I would love my HoYD to match my style (be it Gegenpress, Vertical tiki-taka, whatever) AND my formation AND have good stats, but sometimes one (or two, rarely even three if I'm at small clubs) must go.  Whichever one it is depends on the tactic and stats of those available.

- Tertiary Importance: Attributes.  Obviously I'd love to have 20s across the board in the relevant categories, but it ain't gonna happen while matching all of the above most likely.

Here's an example of how I'd decide, personally.  For the sake of this experiment we'll say I'm using a Gegenpress 4-1-4-1 DM Wide.

HOYD1:  Model Professional, Gegenpress, 4-1-4-1 DM Wide, 14 Judging Ability, 15 Judging Potential, 15 Working with Youth

HOYD2: Balanced, Catenaccio, 4-4-2, 16 Judging Ability, 18 Judging Potential, 18 Working with Youth

Odds are on me picking #1 every time between the two of them in this situation.  The personality/style/formation are worth the slight dings to the attributes - in my opinion of course.  

Edited by ubernoobNTH

17 hours ago, hazzabish said:

It's been an issue in FM fortever that the youth players coming up never seem to have as good mental stats overall as the players who start the game. Especially things like work rate and determination - not many players without work rate and determination would ever make it as professional footballers.

Attributes are for footballers only, you can't use it to compare a non-footballer. A workrate of 1 is the lowest workrate of footballers, it could well be way above the average non-footballer.

On 07/11/2019 at 05:01, gxL2o62DcgGQ2RNW said:

Attributes are for footballers only, you can't use it to compare a non-footballer. A workrate of 1 is the lowest workrate of footballers, it could well be way above the average non-footballer.

That's true, although not really the main point of what I said. The overall point is that the youth coming up are never as professional, as determined or as hard working as those they replace in general.