Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

11 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

I sometimes honestly wonder if people are playing a different game than me.. 

If that's aimed at me - I accept it might very well be the way I approach the game compared to you, which is completely fair. But I've just written my honest experience after a season with the game (which I also accept is only a small sample). I have 1000s of hours with the games over the years so I am able to draw some good comparisons based on personal experience.

Edited by Robioto

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone notice any changes to the setting of season expectation in the 1st season? I'm playing as Brighton but can't change 'Avoid relegation'. I usually select mid-table or something for a bit of a transfer and wage boost, plus it keeps the pressure on. I'm only allowed to change cup expectations on the opening day... will I get opportunity to change the league expectations deeper into pre-season? 

2 minutes ago, Robioto said:

If that's aimed at me - I accept it might very well be the way I approach the game compared to you, which is completely fair. But I've just written my honest experience after a season with the game (which I also accept is only a small sample). I have 1000s of hours with the games over the years so I am able to draw some good comparisons based on personal experience.

Not specifically, just a general feeling. I've posted my spread of goals and assist types on the previous page and that spread looks very, very realistic. One on ones are hard to score (but not impossible), I've seen quite a few cutbacks from the byline in recent games resulting in a goal. I actually scored a winner in my last game where my full back made it to the byline after skinning his opponent, cut it back, the cutback was intercepted and fell to my DM who hit the post after which the rebound was tapped in by my AMR. 

And my AF scored 20 goals in the league last season, most of them from going 1 on 1 with after a long ball over the top. :)

28 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Just watching the forwards, it looks like they're the ones marking the centre backs half the time. I got hammered against Fiorentina earlier in the cup, they were playing 3 up front & they barely moved when they were in my box, they all scored off corners & crosses 

Going into the analysis and checking the animated movement tracker for your forwards will be an eye opener if you think they 'barely move'. Try it. How much they move will depend on roles and tactics of course, but I bet it's a lot more than you think. 

14 minutes ago, Svenc said:

IIRC this has happened internally too. PaulC used to share anecdotes in GD how the internal testing went great, then it all went public and he was like "What's going on?" Unfortunately, he's not around anymore to provide some numbers and stats that could perhaps (?) put Things into perspective. Like he used to back in the day. Additionally, I don't think SI have ever collected that detailed data as to one on ones, Long shots, or anything specific. I saw SI Posting the percentages for instance that make up the amount of Goals from range. However, the actual conversion Ratio of such attempts as such is something different, and may influence the perception of Things...

Also worth adding that people who have a positive experience are less likely to give any kind of feedback. This goes with most things in life, not just FM. This may explain why this thread seems rather on the negative side

25 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

We all play differently fella, all managing different teams in different leagues in different countries with different players & different tactics

Chuck some PKMs up if you want showing great games, no judgement or drama, just be interested 

Had to raise a couple of transfer related bugs concerning loan signings. Tried extending a loan which was accepted and the player wanted to join again, but then got the message we were maxed out on loan signings, even though this was for next season. Also, tried to sign a player I have on loan permanently. Club accepted £0 as almost at end of contract, player report said he was keen to join, and the message when declaring interest was the 'dream come true' one, yet he wouldn't enter into contract talks at all. With no reason given. Anyone else experienced this? Still playing my original beta save, so it's maybe bugged out with all the updates. 

Also, when I'm applying for jobs, every one I'm going for, I'm getting the same message. 'Club won't consider you because they have never heard of you'. Didn't get these messages at the start of season 1 when I started unemployed with ZERO experience.  Weird. I might have to start a new save, the chance you take when you start your long term save in the beta, I suppose. 

7 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Going into the analysis and checking the animated movement tracker for your forwards will be an eye opener if you think they 'barely move'. Try it. How much they move will depend on roles and tactics of course, but I bet it's a lot more than you think. 

Nah Dave, I know they move :DI'm saying when the backline's holding formation, the midfield's passing around the box, they just stand there, ball's pumped to the wings, cross header out & repeat. Then the corner or the free kick comes & then there's a goal. Fiorentina did it loads with two DLF's up front, they didn't drop off when they penned me in  

I still get performance hits in the ME, but can't seem to figure out what is causing it. Funny thing, if I load up recording software (OBS studio) and have it in the background, the issue goes away. Which, while it is cool, isn't helping me to record the issue.

I agree tentatively with some of the suggestions that the ME seems a bit bleh at the moment, but I will give more feedback once I get my full save underway. I'm off to Scotland, so no doubt I'll wonder whether it is a weird behaviour or just the standard for Scotland. :P

18 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

We all play differently fella, all managing different teams in different leagues in different countries with different players & different tactics

Chuck some PKMs up if you want showing great games, no judgement or drama, just be interested 

Aye, I know. But if there's an ME problem, that would be a problem across the board (I think). I'll see if I can find some PKM's tomorrow, haven't got the game open right now. :)

18 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

Not specifically, just a general feeling. I've posted my spread of goals and assist types on the previous page and that spread looks very, very realistic. One on ones are hard to score (but not impossible), I've seen quite a few cutbacks from the byline in recent games resulting in a goal. I actually scored a winner in my last game where my full back made it to the byline after skinning his opponent, cut it back, the cutback was intercepted and fell to my DM who hit the post after which the rebound was tapped in by my AMR. 

And my AF scored 20 goals in the league last season, most of them from going 1 on 1 with after a long ball over the top. :)

See, that's awesome!

But if the AI don't wanna play, you don't get the chance to do that, you have to stretch them & camp, win ugly & all that boring stuff. Forwards sitting there with no fluidly doesn't help one bit & when they can be supplied it goes wide & all that fun stuff

Florence did it to me, I was negative (I'm a midtable Serie C team), their 3 forwards sat on my backline & they scored 4 goals all from set-pieces, they should be ripping us apart  

So for me, it's a combo of negative AI & a lack of final third fluidity, just my feedback  

55 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

I think it's more that we all expect a different payoff from the football simulated in the game. Some seem to happy with what we've got, and others horrifically struggling.

Regarding central play, has anyone been able to get the in game Messi or other elite players to replicate some of the fantastic passes in this short clip:

I've watched hundreds and hundreds of goals from elite AI teams. I've reached the point where I believe this facet of the sport simply doesn't exist in the game.

Edited by rdbayly

15 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Nah Dave, I know they move :DI'm saying when the backline's holding formation, the midfield's passing around the box, they just stand there, ball's pumped to the wings, cross header out & repeat. Then the corner or the free kick comes & then there's a goal. Fiorentina did it loads with two DLF's up front, they didn't drop off when they penned me in  

it's common  for strikers to finish games with less than 15 passing attempts irl. striker isolation is an issue for sure, but maybe we are used from older FMs where strikers received ball too easily, like in fm17. shooting from byline is much more serious thing, big chances are automatically wasted.   

21 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Without sounding niave here could this attribute issue have any bearing on the way the players are performing during match ie the dull lack of goal football or will this purely just effect a players ambition and personality outside of the match in terms of contracts, career moves etc?

Just now, FMLegend1983 said:

Without sounding niave here could this attribute issue have any bearing on the way the players are performing during match ie the dull lack of goal football or will this purely just effect a players ambition and personality outside of the match in terms of contracts, career moves etc?

I guess it does since this bug affected also attributes such as consistency or important matches iirc

2 minutes ago, FMLegend1983 said:

I don't think so.

From what I understand the attribute issue only affected players who didn't have the determination attribute already set in the database (lesser known players and young players).

Edited by corn_onthecurb

3 minutes ago, Iwabik said:

I guess it does since this bug affected also attributes such as consistency or important matches iirc

Thanks, I am really reluctant to play the game again but on the off chance this improves ME, responsiveness and  AI intelligence up a bit I will give it a chance.

Edited by FMLegend1983

24 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

I think it's more that we all expect a different payoff from the football simulated in the game. Some seem to happy with what we've got, and others horrifically struggling.

Regarding central play, has anyone been able to get the in game Messi or other elite players to replicate some of the fantastic passes in this short clip:

I've watched hundreds and hundreds of goals from elite AI teams. I've reached the point where I believe this facet of the sport simply doesn't exist in the game.

Just had this one with Knockbreda in Northern Ireland; and yes, the assist is a flick with his right.

Edited by roykela

20.1.4 hotfix is released. And it’s said that penalty issue is fixed.

I’m wondering will there be a new update for fixing yellow cards, 1v1s, shots from narrow angles and etc.?

I’m planning to start a new save. I know ME updates are save compatible but i can wait if a new ME hotfix will released.

Edited by srvngrc

1 minute ago, srvngrc said:

I’m wondering will there be a new update for fixing yellow cards, 1v1s, shots from narrow angles and etc.?

I’m planning to start a new save. I know ME updates are save compatiable but i can wait if a new ME hotfix will released.

There hasn't been any talk of a hot fix for those - larger ME tweaks to get that to a better place. Game is great for me anyway - not a game breaker but I am not seeing all these byline shot, YC and 1v1 issues. I just play a standard tactic so maybe the ME doing a bad job of representing those that make super custom tactics but that is also me making assumptions which I hate to do.

Well, looks like my beta save has given up the ghost. In pre-season before season 3 in-game, and every player I make an offer for, even when 'extremely interested' in, refuses to enter contract discussions. All jobs I apply for, even if half a star rep teams refuse to offer an interview because they 'haven't heard of me' and various other little bugs which is making it.....yes, I'm going to use the 'u' word here, unplayable (for me anyway)

Brand new save it is then. Disappointing, but it's the chance you take. :(

3 hours ago, martplfc1 said:

Is there any reason why an AMR (or L) seemingly can't also play MR/L? For example, if you want to start a game with inverted wingers in the AM strata, but go more defensive for the final 15 minutes, should it be such a drastic change (bright green to red) in their role/position suitability? Seems it should be yellow/orange at worst.

Just play them there anyway? I've been playing Lamela as a RM and hes been brilliant.

1 hour ago, Iwabik said:

My player is unhappy because he thinks I didn't keep the promise to be "best of the rest" in the PL (which is 7th place IIRC). Only we have 6 more games to play, one point less than 7th placed team and 3 games in hand! Is this a bug? Should I report it?

Would it not be 5th? Hovering over the "i" should give a description of exactly where you've to finish.

Also, does anyone know if Eriksen leaving Tottenham is hard coded? I'm managing them and hes being incredible for me, I'd wish it could last even longer.

1 minute ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Well, looks like my beta save has given up the ghost. In pre-season before season 3 in-game, and every player I make an offer for, even when 'extremely interested' in, refuses to enter contract discussions. All jobs I apply for, even if half a star rep teams refuse to offer an interview because they 'haven't heard of me' and various other little bugs which is making it.....yes, I'm going to use the 'u' word here, unplayable (for me anyway)

Brand new save it is then. Disappointing, but it's the chance you take. :(

Is that you Jose?

1 minute ago, ViG1980 said:

There hasn't been any talk of a hot fix for those - larger ME tweaks to get that to a better place. Game is great for me anyway - not a game breaker but I am not seeing all these byline shot, YC and 1v1 issues. I just play a standard tactic so maybe the ME doing a bad job of representing those that make super custom tactics but that is also me making assumptions which I hate to do.

Have to echo this.
I don't see the byline shots, 1v1 issues, penalties etc either.
I've created a simple 4-4-2 with not so many TIs and no PIs, apart from my left fullback who's been told to dribble less.

62521578_Merknad2019-11-20230058.thumb.jpg.b0c23dcae3e5c0a66f2816f86bc196c9.jpg

9 minutes ago, srvngrc said:

I’m planning to start a new save. I know ME updates are save compatible but i can wait if a new ME hotfix will released.

The penalties issue was presumably easier to fix, hence adding it to the planned hotfix for the attributes one that was in the pipeline.  The other ones ( although there are no long term reports of issues with yellow cards over a season ) have major effects on the rest of the ME and will need longer term testing.  If there are any future updates, then I expect if they are to be included, it will be in them rather than a specific hotfix

Does anybody know what the issue with the penalties was? If it wasn't mainly the ref Research / Attributes, Long-term this should still be given a higher priority imo. It seems Pretty clear that the gap here seems to be reasonably large Longer-term, unless mistaken. There are refs in the db who seem/ed to average at least 0.8 pens per game, whilst others barely much at all.

Whilst this may make for more exciting Gameplay (worth checking your next ref's Performance page, probably); in Football this is more consistent between refs (same as the average amohnt of bookings are/used to be within a leage/Country). Which is likely no surprise, as, despite the perception of Things being otherwise, they are all given strict Guidelines they are encouraged to follow, after all.

Edited by Svenc

58 minutes ago, KUBI said:

Thanks for the update. You could say wow that was quick or you could say no way should this have been overlooked in the release game. No matter it's fixed now.

Since this a feedback thread I think this is the best FM ever bar none. I didn't get 19 and I have never had to think about tactics and shape so much in any other FM and to actually see  those decisions being responded to on the pitch is a joy.

Well done SI

So I've downloaded the demo just to test things out. First game of the season and I've seen some strange decisions.

yaRc86p.png

Here Ndombele started his run through the middle. Brighton's back four is marked with the red line.

iFLQNT8.png

A few moments later Brighton back four have dropped deeper while their LCB froze high up the pitch. This creates a substantial gap in their defence. Of course it's not threatening in this picture because my striker also dropped deep but I don't understand the defender's decision. Also you'll see later what happens.

SGNhCh7.png

Ndombele continued his run and it ended with a long shot. This was taken right before he took the shot and you can see the gap that was created by the Brighton's LCB staying high normally it should have been exploited with a pass from Ndombele, like I dragged those lines.

Edited by Armistice

Build on from yesterday (demo):

Getting sick of shots from the sides, having a lot of chances within the box and having loads of touches. Martial had a chance to shoot, passed it wide and shot came from wide. 

Balls over the top seem a bit too OP in my eyes either it's the "offside trap" or the defensive line thats causing this. I've dropped mine to the lowerst and still see long balls over it- not sure how or why but it does. 

There was a situation where my 2 cb's went beyond the defensive line and readings 5 players just ran straight through the middle, one of them was a BWM-D... 

Only positive I saw today is that crossing is useful all be it long when im on shorter passing and low crosses.

Think im gonna miss out on this years game unless this is fixed and maybe get it at a later date. 

5 minutes ago, Armistice said:

A few moments later Brighton back four have dropped deeper while their LCB froze high up the pitch. This creates a substantial gap in their defence. Of course it's not threatening in this picture because my striker also dropped deep but I don't understand this decision. Also you'll see later what happens.

Im glad you've seen it too, mentioned it ^ there in my recent post, not just an our thing but an opposition thing too- Maybe thats why maguire on my save gets beat so easily.  

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Armistice:

So I've downloaded the demo just to test things out. First game of the season and I've seen some strange decisions.

Here Ndombele starts his run through the center. Brighton's back four is marked with the red line.

A few moments later Brighton back four have dropped deeper while their LCB froze high up the pitch. This creates a substantial gap in their defence. Of course it's not threatening in this picture because my striker also dropped deep but I don't understand this decision. Also you'll see later what happens.

Moments before Ndombele took a pot shot instead of passing in the middle like he should. And you can also see that the Brighton's decision to stay high up the pitch has created that big gap that should have been exploited easily.

Strange decisions are part of real football too. Does it happen regularly? Is there a pattern? Then it could be a bug. Otherwise it is just bad defending in one match.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Would it not be 5th? Hovering over the "i" should give a description of exactly where you've to finish.

Unfortunately, it just says "best of the rest". When my board expected to be "best of the rest" I think it said 7th, tho I'm not 100% sure. Can somebody verify this? Also, it shouldn't matter, because there are still 6 games to be played and we can mathematically finish even 4th.

54 minutes ago, roykela said:

Just had this one with Knockbreda in Northern Ireland; and yes, the assist is a flick with his right.

Can you send me your spec from your PC (or Mac)?

25 minutes ago, Armistice said:

Here Ndombele started his run through the middle. Brighton's back four is marked with the red line.

A few moments later Brighton back four have dropped deeper while their LCB froze high up the pitch. This creates a substantial gap in their defence. Of course it's not threatening in this picture because my striker also dropped deep but I don't understand the defender's decision. Also you'll see later what happens.

Ndombele continued his run and it ended with a long shot. This was taken right before he took the shot and you can see the gap that was created by the Brighton's LCB staying high normally it should have been exploited with a pass from Ndombele, like I dragged those lines.

Any player in the World would play that ball, which is exactly why I can't enjoy this ME 

Though, started a new save with 1860 Munchen & first goal we score is sweet as, the signs are good  

ETA: 2nd goal sweet too

Edited by Johnny Ace