Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Idk, I just can't get rid of the feeling that the game acts completely different when you're up against underdog teams to keep things balanced.
I just find it extremely annoying that nearly every single game against lower-table teams in any league ends up with my team completely dominating everything and barely winning by 1 or 2 goals.
Except for usual couple of batterings where everything goes in. And that the AI somehow always creates a couple of good chances in the last 5mins + stoppage time and there's nothing you can do to prevent it.
I would be fine with it if my team couldn't create chances against those teams, that would mean tactics are the issue, but when your chance conversion rate is noticably lower against weaker teams then I'm just left disappointed.
(disclaimer: This is just my opinion, I'm not saying that any of this is a fact.)

Agreed. Winning easier against top teams too?

5 dakika önce, GunmaN1905 said:

Considering how a lot of people are complaining about not being able to easily win games against much weaker opposition and most of those games ending up with 1 or 2 goals at the most, despite having like 25-30 shots, I just checked some stats on my Villa save.
This was from 2022/23 season, but top6 is still more or less the same, with the exception of my team also being in there.

Scored 31 goal in 15 games (EPL + FA) against top6 teams.
9 of those were in 3 FA Cup games, so 22 in 12 league games against top6.
1.83 goals per game vs top6.

Scored 73 in 38 games total, 51 in 26 against rest of the league.
1.96 in other games.

Seems normal I guess.
Home games are where it gets interesting.

19 games, 41 goals.
6 against top6, 14 goals.
2.3 per game!
87 total shots, 36 on target in 6 games.
16% total shots were goals, 38% shots on target were goals!

13 other games, 27 goals.
2 goals per game, so already a bit less.
223 shots, 105 on target in 13 games.
11% total shots were goals, 25% shots on target were goals!

Basically a 33% efficency decrease against considerably worse teams? Could that be a coincidence?
And I'm pretty sure if I go over each of the 10 seasons I played on two different saves it would be the same.

It's also obvious without even counting the shots or goals that weaker opposition averages way more goals per shot against my teams than the top teams.

Idk, I just can't get rid of the feeling that the game acts completely different when you're up against underdog teams to keep things balanced.
I just find it extremely annoying that nearly every single game against lower-table teams in any league ends up with my team completely dominating everything and barely winning by 1 or 2 goals.
Except for usual couple of batterings where everything goes in. And that the AI somehow always creates a couple of good chances in the last 5mins + stoppage time and there's nothing you can do to prevent it.
I would be fine with it if my team couldn't create chances against those teams, that would mean tactics are the issue, but when your chance conversion rate is noticably lower against weaker teams then I'm just left disappointed.
(disclaimer: This is just my opinion, I'm not saying that any of this is a fact.)

I wonder left or right backs still caught many offside in 22/23. Can you please check the top 20 players list caught offside?

8 minutes ago, Mitja said:

I finished second with 82 points in 22/23 season with Villa and I lost only 2 out of 12 games against top6.
And I should've lost at least a couple more. Got absolutely battered at Old Trafford, couldn't get the ball out of my box for the most part, but I won 1-2. Just an example.

The only other two losses were against Sheffield and Newcastle, both 0-1 at home. Had like 50 shots total.
Idk, I wanna have a sense of achievement when I play, which isn't the case right now. If I deserve to lose I wanna lose, but if I created 10 great chances per game I expect wins by a couple goals. Sure, games with bad conversion rate happen, but once or twice per season. Not all the bloody time.

8 minutes ago, akinozcan said:

I wonder left or right backs still caught many offside in 22/23. Can you please check the top 20 players list caught offside?

I don't think those stats would be relevant because the patch hit mid-way through the season and ME changed then.
But from what I've seen, I haven't had many offside issues.

My two biggest concerns are long balls being way too accurate and set-piece goals.
It's true that second chance shots from set-pieces are probably the hardest thing to defend and player movement is fine, but the ball deflections look too arcadey to me. Pinball movement, way too fast deflections etc.

As for the long balls, I think an attribute which determines player's passing range should be added. Or just make crossing attribute affect passes longer than 30m or so. Because there are very few CBs in the world who can constantly create chances with 50m+ passes and that's exactly what happens in this ME. Every game.

Edited by GunmaN1905

I found this ME very random. Its chaos in a field and I can win 6-0 or lose 0-1 with the same tactic. This happened just today in my tests. 
It reminds me FM18 in bad meaning.

Also I disappointed that ME indulges riskly tactics. Its difficult to create cautious tactic again for me, but some riskly tactics which couldnt be working in logic - they are successful in fact. 
It reminds me FM19 in bad meaning.

I disccussed and protected last build because I really found this good but current ME is not about football for me. Its about beat ME or ME beats you, no more.
For me the basic idea of FM - sandbox with holding of some rules. For now our sandbox so much limited in variants imo.

Edited by Novem9

52 minutes ago, Svenc said:

That's quite a few of Corners. May be one for the tactics Forum.  If not at all happy with the scoreline, it may also be one for the "this is getting ridiculous thread". :D 

Everybody's talkign About 1vs1s, and in Terms of frequency for good reason (not sure About conversion yet, given that some of those should be more like 1 in 4-5 chances).  Let's not Forget About the set pieces and set piece attempts whilst doing so. I challenge the Notion and will continue to do so that a side which would create like 70%+ of ist attempts within the box purely from the set piece would be "dominating" an Opposition. 

I've just been reading (& commented on) that thread :D

I'm not even complaining about the score (it doesn't matter) or the 1 on 1's there, my style seems to produce none of the ball over the top chances (though I see the AI create a boatload of them), the 5 there were genuinely good ones. I was just trying a pretty straight forward tactic that wasn't OTT crazy & see what the shot totals would look like & was pretty surprised 

I've added the PKM, mainly so I can rewatch it later on at home but feel free. I cant remember the tactic, it was something like this

Untitled.thumb.png.27d89e2c0e7e2865681cf3b7413e1391.png

Just messing about v Leicester.pkm

Edited by Johnny Ace

vor 28 Minuten schrieb akinozcan:

I get at least 10 offsides per game from my left back after  simple combination passes. 

This is an old problem also present in fm 18 I think or even earlier 

29 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I've just been reading (& commented on) that thread :D

I'm not even complaining about the score (it doesn't matter) or the 1 on 1's there, my style seems to produce none of the ball over the top chances (though I see the AI create a boatload of them), the 5 there were genuinely good ones. I was just trying a pretty straight forward tactic that wasn't OTT crazy & see what the shot totals would look like & was pretty surprised 

I've added the PKM, mainly so I can rewatch it later on at home but feel free. I cant remember the tactic, it was something like this

Untitled.thumb.png.27d89e2c0e7e2865681cf3b7413e1391.png

Just messing about v Leicester.pkm 122.7 kB · 1 download

What Team is this? Will try to watch the pkm later, couldn'T open the more recent ones for some reasons.

If ist a high rep Team, there is a Chance that Leicester just tried to pull off a Burnley 2017 (extremely low block, upon which reasonably high shot dominations usually are the norm).

53 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

It may appear like this. A good reason for this is that the AI doesn't and can't react to what is specifically going on in a match. It's simply reacting to Team reputations and picks tactics accordingly.

If the AI is the favorite, it may accept no more than a win. So if it ever goes behind, it may even Play more aggressively (and ignore the balls over the top etc. because it cannot "spot" them, it's simply going through the AI tactic motions of going more aggressive)

If the AI meanwhile is the Underdog, it makes it harder to score. And then it gets harder to score. There's a reason why even the press-continue "super tacticians" have set up testing leagues whether their tactics was better for an Underdog or favorite Scenario. (Btw. a lot of super tactics Play quite a bit into the Hands of defensive Opposition).

It's not scripted like that though. Once the ball over the top etc. may be addressed, the attacking AI may suffer less. Additionally though, Breaking open packed defenses has been a Long-term "frustration" for many. It takes a modicum of thought, typically. Counter attacks inside the engine can be meanwhile triggered all by themselves. Not sure if SI are ever going to address the "AI mainly reacts to reputations" Thing, even if they could. It may create a lot of user Frustration if suddenly the AI were reacting to what was specifically going on on a Micro Level of match Play (basically Managing Matches the way the tactics Forum community would).

Edited by Svenc

1 minute ago, Svenc said:

What Team is this? Will try to watch the pkm later, couldn'T open the more recent ones for some reasons.

If ist a high rep Team, there is a Chance that Leicester just tried to pull off a Burnley 2017 (extremely low block, upon which reasonably high shot dominations usually are the norm).

Just a create-a-club, try things out team :D My ass man's got them top on the league then I jump in & manage games where I fancy, if you do get chance, the Barnes goal is crazy good/lucky  

6 minutes ago, Svenc said:

If the AI meanwhile is the Underdog, it makes it harder to score. And then it gets harder to score.

Yeah, harder to score as in my players having way lower conversion ratio from better situations than they get against top teams.

I said that it's not about the chance creation, but way worse conversion from pretty much the same type of situations.

5 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Yeah, harder to score as in my players having way lower conversion ratio from better situations than they get against top teams.

I said that it's not about the chance creation, but way worse conversion from pretty much the same type of situations.

Never seen anything like that in this series. The chances on average can't be exactly the same too, as the AI typically keeps added men behind the ball, Drops deep and keeps Things generally compact rather than playing expansive Football if the match favorite. That's the entire Point of their defensive tactics, reducing the space. If that wouldn't work as intended, they were bugged. There will be more men behind the ball upon a shot / interception on average (whish FM were to Display stats like that, as simple as they are!), and the shots from the set piece typically go up also.

If it's truly the same chances, that is one for the Bugs Forums. Would be rather strange though. 

Edited by Svenc

3 minutes ago, Svenc said:

Never seen anything like that in this series. The chances can't be the same too, as the AI typically keeps added men behind the ball, Drops deep and keeps Things generally compact rather than playing expansive Football if the match favorite. There will be more men behind the ball upon a shot / interception on average (whish FM were to Display stats like that, as simple as they are!), and the shots from the set piece typically go up also.

If it's truly the same chances, that is one for the Bugs Forums. Would be rather strange though. And for me, a definitely first ever. 

Can you kindly go away?
Your condenscending style is extremely annoying since you just basically dismissed everything I wrote and you're posting based on nothing but some anecdotal imaginary setup you thought of.

I'll leave it at that.
Don't quote me again, please.
Not until you learn to read my posts in full and actually understand the point I'm trying to make.

Edited by GunmaN1905

Goals per game seems incredibly low since the update on the ME. 

Just finished an entire season and there was only on average 1.16 goals per game per team. (I only conceded 4 in a 24 game season winning all 24 games, I averaged 2.25 goals) 

I checked the Premier league and that also has an incredibly low goals per game per team ratio too. 

What's the real life ratio? Does anyone know?

I'm still seeing a lot of wing play where the winger is shooting 90% of the time instead of simpler crosses, passes to free team mates, crosses across the goal

one on ones doesnt seem right with the amount of misses, either too many 1 v 1 or conversion is a bit low. I need to look at stats here

Did they not fix the 1vs1s in this patch? Also as mentioned earlier in a lot of posts the heading accuraccy in offensive situations  seems to have been nerfed? I still think the ME looks pretty good right now but I dont know if its that my players have poor finishing, best ones have 12 and I play in Championship or thats something wrong with the ME. The AI who gets atleast 3 clear cut chanser per game against also miss the chances so Im leaning against thats the ME. 

3 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Considering how a lot of people are complaining about not being able to easily win games against much weaker opposition and most of those games ending up with 1 or 2 goals at the most, despite having like 25-30 shots, I just checked some stats on my Villa save.
This was from 2022/23 season, but top6 is still more or less the same, with the exception of my team also being in there.

Scored 31 goal in 15 games (EPL + FA) against top6 teams.
9 of those were in 3 FA Cup games, so 22 in 12 league games against top6.
1.83 goals per game vs top6.

Scored 73 in 38 games total, 51 in 26 against rest of the league.
1.96 in other games.

Seems normal I guess.
Home games are where it gets interesting.

19 games, 41 goals.
6 against top6, 14 goals.
2.3 per game!
87 total shots, 36 on target in 6 games.
16% total shots were goals, 38% shots on target were goals!

13 other games, 27 goals.
2 goals per game, so already a bit less.
223 shots, 105 on target in 13 games.
11% total shots were goals, 25% shots on target were goals!

Basically a 33% efficency decrease against considerably worse teams? Could that be a coincidence?
And I'm pretty sure if I go over each of the 10 seasons I played on two different saves it would be the same.
Having more goals per game against top teams than against average squads is kinda odd to me.

It's also obvious without even counting the shots or goals that weaker opposition averages way more goals per shot against my teams than the top teams.

If you play teams that consider you their equal or better then they may expect to win or have a good chance of winning and set up their tactics accordingly e.g. ,more offensive. This may mean more chances for both.

If you play teams that consider you better then they will set-up defensively and play negative tactics, maybe more fouls. This may mean less chances for you and them. Do you set up to play more patient football instead of setting up to give them a drubbing? Sure sometimes you will. A single point or restricting your chances is a result for them. In real life this happens and fans get disappointed and on players backs as chances are fewer but expectation for the the so called superior side is higher. You have to break them down

It may be worth looking at say premiership results irl to see how this pans out

All teams will look to put in a last 5-10 min effort to steal or draw or a win. An option is to go defensive and invite them, do you look to counter?

I don't know for fact if FM2020 ME plays like this but if it did it would be very logical. Also look at at home and away results and formations and tactics

This would be my explanation of what you are seeing

I'm having games with less than 25 shots, normal scores. Players scoring from 1on1's without any problem, crossing when it's on, a couple of minor issues like passing forwards which is not a problem if you're not playing possession game also forwards movement is less obvious if you play more direct. Maybe not enough open play goals too. All that on 20.1.4.  :D

7 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

If you play teams that consider you their equal or better then they may expect to win or have a good chance of winning and set up their tactics accordingly e.g. ,more offensive. This may mean more chances for both.

If you play teams that consider you better then they will set-up defensively and play negative tactics, maybe more fouls. This may mean less chances for you and them. Do you set up to play more patient football instead of setting up to give them a drubbing? Sure sometimes you will. A single point or restricting your chances is a result for them. In real life this happens and fans get disappointed and on players backs as chances are fewer but expectation for the the so called superior side is higher. You have to break them down

It may be worth looking at say premiership results irl to see how this pans out

All teams will look to put in a last 5-10 min effort to steal or draw or a win. An option is to go defensive and invite them, do you look to counter?

I don't know for fact if FM2020 ME plays like this but if it did it would be very logical. Also look at at home and away results and formations and tactics

This would be my explanation of what you are seeing

But you describe real life situation. I have always found playing bigger clubs much easier. It's not the metter of winning it just doesn't feel rewarding and fun. I don't like to win if I didn't deserve to win and also it feels odd not winning after having 30 shots and 5 CCCs. And I know it happens. Representation of this problem is not good enough maybe. In a game like fm, it's good teams that add to realism and challange. Poor teams should limit your shots blabla, stop your best playmakers not score first time shot from 30 meters in 93 minute. 

3 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Yeah, reason I ask is the ME version in the public beta is still version 2026, are there no match engine changes in this beta?

Nah mate, just stability fixes by the look, nothing to get excited about 

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Dagenham_Dave:

Yeah, reason I ask is the ME version in the public beta is still version 2026, are there no match engine changes in this beta?

Just some stability fixes for low end computers.

25 minutes ago, Mitja said:

But you describe real life situation. I have always found playing bigger clubs much easier. It's not the metter of winning it just doesn't feel rewarding and fun. I don't like to win if I didn't deserve to win and also it feels odd not winning after having 30 shots and 5 CCCs. 

Having lots of shots and a few CCCs has never meant you deserved to win on FM, that said. This goes for the AI too, which I had tonked with similar match stats on that release in particular. :D The CCC is probably the single worst statistics ever introduced into the game -- as it's given way too much importance by Players. It also doesn'T help Players making better judgement calls as to what's actually going on. And SI haven't ever provided a definition to boot (which is much too lose anyway, whilst ironically oft still missing out on crucial stuff at the same time).

The current ME issues may get fixed.
The CCC going by its history is unfixable.
That said, it was once introduced with good intentions, namely giving an answer as to how sides could lose despite having 30 shots -- and not Always "undeservedly" so.

Problem is, it doesn't and never has provided that answer. 

Edited by Svenc

I was very happy with the game prior to this update. However, after playing more, it’s really apparent to me that it’s not an improvement. Crosses are terrible, headers are no longer effective, passes are all over the place, no matter the settings, and the most effective way to score is to go direct, regardless of the team. Working into the box is worthless. Teams continuously score with balls over the top. I play a high, high line, but I was able to cut this out before the last update. There’s no consistency to the game now. It’s so frustrating and I hate to complain, because I was so happy with the game beforehand, but now it’s letting me down. I don’t have the time to compile pkms and screenshots, but it’s clear that I’m not the only one who feels this way. The game is back to where it was during the beta, but worse. 

Edited by zachalxnder

23 minutes ago, Mitja said:

But you describe real life situation. I have always found playing bigger clubs much easier. It's not the metter of winning it just doesn't feel rewarding and fun. I don't like to win if I didn't deserve to win and also it feels odd not winning after having 30 shots and 5 CCCs. And I know it happens. Representation of this problem is not good enough maybe. In a game like fm, it's good teams that add to realism and challange. Poor teams should limit your shots blabla, stop your best playmakers not score first time shot from 30 meters in 93 minute. 

But perhaps I think you need to think about what I said, I appreciate its not a full answer but an opinion of someone who has been with every version since the Amiga - that makes me old but not necessarily wise :) . Look at the FM odds for matches, does this reveal some insight of how teams may set-up? The AI is never as good as a human player, no game I know of is

I can't back up my theory and I respect you have done some analysis which is better than many people here who post from their heart rather than head.

Do continue your analysis with the fact you post, example it and log it if its a potential bug then the ME will hopefully improve if you log it. Real life football is frustrating as a fan and I expect FM is no different but how it reflects real life is clearly a major challenge.  The only way this would work is with a football world managed by human FM managers and even then ME and AI weakness and exploits would be found. Ultimately its a game and as a game it attempts to reveal progress that irl would unlikely happen. If FM Pompey matched real life Pompey as I manage them then I would be in the hot seat no doubt and I'm sure FM bends to making the game more enjoyable than factual. If it matched real life would the game be as enjoyable, that's a hard one

The ME will evolve and good posts with facts like you are starting will help I'm sure. The football world evolves with tactics and player types and that's pretty difficult to match in an ME and to retain a balance that is similar to real life. I've seen Pompey irl win matches they shouldn't but like FM I wont notice that as much as if the tables were turned.

I will say, I think this ME is far more fun than the previous one, if only because it can get really insane sometimes. Like this match I just played:

CCCs-galore.png

My keeper came away with a 9.0 rating despite making a mistake for one of their goals!

Granted, this doesn't happen that often (at least in my save it hasn't) but I'm pretty sure this game should have ended about 7-7 and only the slightly off finishing in this version prevented that. As it was, I won 4-2, having played with 10 men for the final 20 minutes. 

Edited by JEinchy

5 hours ago, Mitja said:

Not easy for me. I manage St Johnstone, and its taken me until 2022/23 to beat Celtic. Even then it was a 2-2 draw in a Cup they don't care about, and I beat them on penalties. I've also only beaten Rangers around twice in that time. I had a game at Celtic Park where I didn't have a single shot on target as they were all over me all match, couldn't get out my own half.

1 hour ago, JEinchy said:

I will say, I think this ME is far more fun than the previous one, if only because it can get really insane sometimes. Like this match I just played:

CCCs-galore.png

My keeper came away with a 9.0 rating despite making a mistake for one of their goals!

Granted, this doesn't happen that often (at least in my save it hasn't) but I'm pretty sure this game should have ended about 7-7 and only the slightly off finishing in this version prevented that. As it was, I won 4-2, having played with 10 men for the final 20 minutes. 

They said in the bugs forum that the number of shots has gone up again in the latest ME and are working to balance it. Hopefully soon because I think i enjoyed more ME 2021 than 2026.

After 20.2 update there is stuttering in 3d matches. It’s really annoying. How can i solve that? I also started a topic in bugs forum but didn’t get any answers yet.

My computer’s specs:

i7 4720

GTX 970m

16GB RAM

Edited by srvngrc

7 minutes ago, zachalxnder said:

Would the majority agree that an update is more of a necessity now than prior to 20.2?

Regardless of the answer, you're not going to get a majority of people involved, rather a fraction of the people who post here, who will be a fraction of the forum base, who will in turn be a fraction of the playing base. Nor would it help push an update out. Not aimed at you, but the thread needs to step away from the "if I shout loud enough, and get enough likes/people on my side then things will go my way or my argument will be stronger" type vibe. Whether it's 1v1, crosses, throughballs, it always ends the same way

39 minutes ago, andu1 said:

They said in the bugs forum that the number of shots has gone up again in the latest ME and are working to balance it. Hopefully soon because I think i enjoyed more ME 2021 than 2026.

Could you link up where that was said please? Had a quick look & couldn't see anything

13 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Regardless of the answer, you're not going to get a majority of people involved, rather a fraction of the people who post here, who will be a fraction of the forum base, who will in turn be a fraction of the playing base. Nor would it help push an update out. Not aimed at you, but the thread needs to step away from the "if I shout loud enough, and get enough likes/people on my side then things will go my way or my argument will be stronger" type vibe. Whether it's 1v1, crosses, throughballs, it always ends the same way

I know and I’m not looking for that. I just didn’t have an issue beforehand, but I do now after 20.2, so I understand where you’re coming from. What I’m more interested in is hearing if people who have been unsatisfied are more so now than previously. I found the obsession with throughballs a bit humorous, but I understood the gripe. I feel now that, while certain issues have been solved, new problems are created. It would’ve been great if this could have been fixed in the beta, but it happens. I don’t remember it being like this last year. 

11 minutes ago, zachalxnder said:

I know and I’m not looking for that. I just didn’t have an issue beforehand, but I do now after 20.2, so I understand where you’re coming from. What I’m more interested in is hearing if people who have been unsatisfied are more so now than previously. I found the obsession with throughballs a bit humorous, but I understood the gripe. I feel now that, while certain issues have been solved, new problems are created. It would’ve been great if this could have been fixed in the beta, but it happens. I don’t remember it being like this last year. 

But it doesn't matter one way or another since you'll only get a tiny sample, and its not useful feedback for SI either, which is the primary, but often derailed point of this thread

The update they released in the last week has improved decision making in the final third (or feels that way at least).

The amount of long balls over the top into missed one on ones is concerning though. It feels like each team gets 2-3 one on ones each game from long balls and the conversion rate is pretty bad.

In real life, opening a team up feels like a big deal but it happens way too often (and isn't punished) on this current ME.

Anybody else experiencing similar?

What the hell happened!  Put the game down for a few days.  Was on a nice run with Chelsea 2nd in PL after 14 games, with 10 wins.  City were on a roll winning every game.  Came back after the update, 3 games, 0 shots on goal, 1 red card, 2 conceded penalties.  Even in one game Arsenal went down to 10 men and then beat me 3-0.  Lacazette beat 6 defenders all by himself, only player in my half.

I'm scratching my head.  Feels like a different game.  Would share the game but I didn't save that. This is supposed to be fun, but just became impossible!

2 hours ago, GOODNAME said:

Come on SI what the hell is this?? absolute garbage own goal

Just rage quit the game this is pure waste of time

QF in the Champions League Vs Real Madrid , leading 1-0 from the first match

i saw one on reddit the other day where the GK passed it to his centerback to start play from the back, then ran up to him and tackled him, and shot the ball in his own net for an own goal! was super hilarious!!! sometimes you gotta wonder how stuff like that  make it out of QA. there should be a code somewhere where the GK will NOT tackle his own defender no matter the situation let alone score an own goal after doing so.

On 05/12/2019 at 08:19, Dagenham_Dave said:

If you're a Hibs fan who only goes to home games, you might as well get another hobby in February... :lol:

My bank manager is also not going to be pleased. 

image.thumb.png.364472a1393f96aff757bfc6cb3b6a28.png

Every year in FM, there's issues with fixtures. Surely it can't be that difficult to get right. 

Are these all league games? Or maybe cup game plus a postponed game due to international break.