Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

Pros :

No more balls over the top

Headrs more effective now

Veraity of goals 

Cons :

The AMC position stop  worked for me

long shots maybe too OP now

But in general I'm very happy with this build, plus I'm sure with the final ME patch at March  the ME will be  even better 

Great job 

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, lzab said:

At least in my game the beta has worsened the goal conversion of strikers....in my previous season my striker was top goalscorer with 20+ goals and afte 6 matches with the new beta he has scored none...

This is by far the least enjoyable football manager I played in years...everything is a struggle...

Try going back to basics on your tactic and adjusting slowly... it would seem from the majority of feedback thus far that the public beta has made the football being played a lot more realistic, which would suggest your tactic may not make sense in basic terms no?

Okay, the swings in morale are ridiculous. We are having a form of W-L-W-L-W, just won a clean 2-0 game against the team in front of us, the board rated the performance B+, the "dressing room atmosphere" bar was maybe 25% green, but midweek it dropped to about 30% red.

I don't have any issues, my least happy player is content.

It does tell me that there are "many conflicting personalities", players that "don't share the same level of professionalism", and a "high turnover" (which shouldn't be still such a huge issue, the roster haven't changed that much).

The first two problems are impossible to consistently keep under control, it's not like you can be picky and just sign people who are into the same kinds of movies, or whatever, so it shouldn't cause such sudden swings.

I did have to buy 2 new starters mid-season (I took over the team in december), but they have been starting in every game (8 and 7, respectively) since.

This is the sort of thing that makes it feel worthless to click through all the training feedback and other minutiae team talk stuff.

edit: oh, and all this is happening at a team where every player but 3 belongs to the same social group, and players whom I am very close with, and who hold me in "the highest regard" are starting to question my management of the team

edit 2: I almost forgot: I've just signed a new contract with a player who wanted to "commit his future to the club". Did achieving that affect his morale? Take your guess.

Edited by Glen_Runciter

Right so. I'm going to report on my findings (this may be very obvious to some but here we go).

I decided to start a new save from scratch - with PSG. I actually started with a simple template of Gegenpress. The only real modification I made was with balls being worked into the box. Basically taking a good template, or the template provided,

First 20 games or so I won 75-80%, but when I lost or I was really struggling in a sense during a match I couldn't figure out why and it was a source of frustration. I'd lost 3 on the trot and was struggling to win. Board giving me an F match performance rating :(.

I think I've found a working solution and made performance in game much easier. Now I've just gone to Lyon and Monaco away and won both 6-0. Probably not worth as much when you're PSG but when you are one of those who is looking just to see good performances consistently it's a nice answer to have possible.

It's the opposition instructions pre game.

GK - No instructions

DL/DR - Show onto weaker foot and mark tightly

DC - no instructions

DMC/MC (press harder, maybe with playmaker show onto weaker foot.. I'm not that fussed

AMC - All opposition instructions (hard tackling, press more, mark tightly, shower onto weaker foot)

Wings (MR/ML/AMR/AML) - Show onto weaker foot, possibly mark tightly but I don't do that)

Strikers - Mark tightly and show onto weaker foot.

It's made the formation just from a template very solid.

I'll play to the end of the season to confirm but if correct, people shouldn't feel the need infact to use exploit tactics. Just using the opposition instructions correctly might be the fix.

Is there any plan for further improvements on the series?

It's not very Interactive any longer, even though you are called Sports Interactive.

Player Updates every 6 months ruins the game for me. 

I started a new save just know, and was excited to buy a few players who's had a very good season, but quickly lost interest.
I can take one example, I started with United, was looking to buy a new CB and since Çaglar Söyüncü has had a good season he should be OK on FM 2020. But really he aint.

If this game was interactive, the stats should be updated way more often and reflect this season. Shouldnt be down to the last researcher one year ago. For instance Çaglar Söyüncü is the fastest player recorded in the premier league this season accoriding to opta, but his pace is 12.

This game would be alot better if it was way more up to date. FM 2020 is really FM 2019. 

I know its a large database that requires alot of time, but some of the top leagues should have a more interactive game feature that you could play with more up to date data. 

Waiting for a patch in March for Januray updates is already old when it hits.

Maybe an idea for future improvements would be to make the game more to up to date often than more 3D stuff. 

Thats my 5 cents anyway

vor 2 Minuten schrieb erlnil:

Thats not official content though. And who knows who the researcher is and whats it based on..

Transfer updates covers all the transfers but usually not attribute changes. 

8 minutes ago, KUBI said:

Transfer updates covers all the transfers but usually not attribute changes. 

Then its even more pointless.

Im looking for a more interactive gameplay thats more up to date with recent performances etc.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb erlnil:

Im looking for a more interactive gameplay thats more up to date with recent performances etc.

People do not usually start a new save every week, so there is no point in that. You can make your own dynamic update by using the pre-game editor. In the end the db is just a starting point, after that the game creates its own football world. 

You can post a feature request for dynamic updates in this forum:

https://community.sigames.com/forum/680-football-manager-feature-requests/

6 minutes ago, erlnil said:

That's just not possible though, would require way more input (and cost) from SI with very limited benefits. 

Is the beta update compatible with fm touch on a pc? It let me load it but It says I’ll still running 20.2.3. Also it won’t allow me to play in widowed mode? The option to change the resolution has disappeared 

Edited by sponish1

vor 2 Minuten schrieb sponish1:

Is the beta update compatible with fm touch on a pc? It let me load it but It says I’ll still running 20.2.3. Also it won’t allow me to play in widowed mode? The option to change the resolution has disappeared 

The beta is only available for FM, not for Touch.

2 minutes ago, sponish1 said:

I think it only applies to the full game.

6 saat önce, KlaaZ said:

There is more to it than just being a tall player with good heading ability though. He needs to be in a good position, ideally not under pressure of a defender, timing needs to be right, he needs to make the right choice where to head it, etc. And that's not to mention that the cross also has to be perfect. If it's a little too high, low or far, good luck getting your header on target. :)

The problem with this assumption -in real life or in game?-it doesn't work with long shots frequency goal in game. They are common. Accuracy of headers does seem to be a problem I think in game.

Edited by baris28

On 18/01/2020 at 22:50, KUBI said:

The beta is only available for FM, not for Touch.

Unfortunate for those of us who only play Touch (..Although in principle, those playing Touch are FM-players just as well...)

Edited by Toonrock

15 minutes ago, Boydy9 said:

Is the public beta 20.2.4 ? Seems since I started playing again tonight I've got back to the way it was before I tried the beta

When you first load up the game, what version number does it say in the bottom left corner of the screen?

20200119001807_1.thumb.jpg.276aa30f0e76023a52b6bc185d3658e8.jpg

26 minutes ago, SuperRedditch said:

When you first load up the game, what version number does it say in the bottom left corner of the screen?

20200119001807_1.thumb.jpg.276aa30f0e76023a52b6bc185d3658e8.jpg

If your in public beta should say 20.2.4 if not 20.2.3

Match engine has bored and frustrated me since release but public beta  20.2.4 is enjoyable noticed a lot more passing player intelligence following tactics and player instructions crosses are good more of squaring the ball across  the box or looking for a pass instead of shooting into side netting although are still a few bugs which si have under review I also think the shots per game could do with toning down just a little imo but thank you si for letting us test this beta match engine out and for all the hard work you’ve gone to .... to give us an enjoyable match engine imo  

after 20 games with beta ME, I'm  not sold.

1vs1 still have a very low conversion rate. The wingers are still stupid (they wait for the opponent defender to come back before attempting crossing). The through ball are rare. And penalty are still incredibly missed. The only improvement i find is on the defender behaviour vs long balls. Some of the TI are ignored by the players (short passes, low crosses, c'mon)... Trying to tweak your tactic is a painful and absolutely pointless experience.

this is still a very frustrating experience. No pleasure. Resulting in not a nice video game to play.

Edited by Mr Tonio

2 hours ago, ChuskeThePrince said:

Yes it is! I started my save with Genk but it was ruined bcuzz of this, seems too high and easy to begin with ..

Bear in mind that all pre-season transfers have been completed in the game- have they sold a player that would inflate the amount?

41 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Bear in mind that all pre-season transfers have been completed in the game- have they sold a player that would inflate the amount?

They spent and earned about equal amount, about 40-ish M euros .. In FM 19 they had 7M euro balance and now they have 129.5M euro. Thats strange.

I cant post screenshot cuzz my HDD is broken, but can you please check the situation? I would appreciate it.

Edited by ChuskeThePrince

22 minutes ago, ChuskeThePrince said:

They spent and earned about equal amount, about 40-ish M euros .. In FM 19 they had 7M euro balance and now they have 129.5M euro. Thats strange.

I cant post screenshot cuzz my HDD is broken, but can you please check the situation? I would appreciate it.

Report it in the relevant Data Issues thread in the Bugs forum- if it is wrong that is the only way to get it fixed

1 hour ago, Mr Tonio said:

after 20 games with beta ME, I'm  not sold.

1vs1 still have a very low conversion rate. The wingers are still stupid (they wait for the opponent defender to come back before attempting crossing). The through ball are rare. And penalty are still incredibly missed. The only improvement i find is on the defender behaviour vs long balls. Some of the TI are ignored by the players (short passes, low crosses, c'mon)... Trying to tweak your tactic is a painful and absolutely pointless experience.

this is still a very frustrating experience. No pleasure. Resulting in not a nice video game to play.

Have you logged it in the public Beta forum then so they can see this comment

1 hour ago, prot651 said:

Have you logged it in the public Beta forum then so they can see this comment

Yeah, you're right that would probably be the sensible thing to do. I might. Upload a pkm, time stamp it.

Thing is, everything i stated is already documented. I'm growing a little tired and frankly beginning to lose faith in SI ability to fix this messy ME. If the beta (although an experimental product) is the shape of the ME to come, i'm very pessimist. To me, it's not even a step in the right direction. Sorry, don't feel like being constructive today. Maybe tomorrow.

6 hours ago, ChuskeThePrince said:

Can someone from SI confirm that 130M balance for KRC GENK is accurate? I think its too high .. 2nd richest club in Belgium, Club Brugge - 35M balance ..

Are you using any custom data? In the beta I see this starting as Genk.

Capture.thumb.PNG.459cd1cdbe90aa2a35fb3dd776748255.PNG

10 hours ago, GOODNAME said:

Anyone else have issue with team moral?

W-W-L-W and all of my players only "good" 

A few posts before yours i was mentioning the weird mid-week morale drops after wins.

It seems like the "yellow warnings" have too much, too sudden influence on the dressing room atmosphere.

I'm not sure how the mechanic is supposed to work, but when compared to more senior players of little to no pedigree, it doesnt seem right that my 20 year old wonderkid with a Bundesliga title who just won the European Golden Boy has a .5 star reputation. 

InkedTyrone_ Information_LI.jpg

Just wanted to say a quick thank you for the the Beta ME. I had essentially given up with the previous ME as it was very one dimensional and the frequently cited issue of one-on-ones was truly awful. However, the Beta ME has saved FM20 for me. It is so much more exciting to watch. Some crazy goalmouth scrambles, and players seem to be doing more of what you ask of them. This especially applies to support or deep-lying strikers. 

I was very frustrated previously, but am now enjoying it much more.

Well done.

38 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

Beta ME is not much better IMO.

The long ball thing is way better.

But it's like watching FIFA still, with someone kid playing on easy mode.  Players with good dribbling are just stupid, they just go through players, they pick up the ball and go 50-60 yards and beat men far too easily.

If defenders make a tackle, then it goes nowhere, it seems to bounce straight back to the attacker again, I;ve conceded goals where my defence has tackled the ball 3/4 times and every time the attacker just has the ball back right at their feet and continues on normally.

Just had Kovavecic pick up the ball in his own half and just run at my defender and no one goes near him, they let him just run straight through and score. Both centre-backs are marking no one, yet they just stand and let him run through.  It's like their are Messis every game pulling of these long mazy dribbles against multiple opponents. 

I also have a penalty taker who is basically perfect at penalties (created him to see how it it was working) and he has missed 3 out of 4, this has been common in FM generally, even if a player has great penalty stats, he misses loads. Some players barely ever miss penalties, the best ones should be scoring 95% plus.

Seems 1 step forward and 2 back for me.

There are some nice aspects and nice play, but overall its just as bad. 

I have noticed a few long dribbles, but they have been from my wingers and when they picked it up in space. Tackling has not been an issue for me, but I'm only about 10 games in to the Beta ME. I've had two pens and scored both. Obviously, the more you play, the more you notice. However, previously, the ME was just so boring, and it didn't seem to matter what instructions you gave, they just humped it long. So, it may not be perfect (never is), but it is a big improvement, IMO.

Oh! And headers are back. Never seemed to score any headers before.

Edited by timcliffsmith

24 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

If defenders make a tackle, then it goes nowhere, it seems to bounce straight back to the attacker again, I;ve conceded goals where my defence has tackled the ball 3/4 times and every time the attacker just has the ball back right at their feet and continues on normally.

Glad you mentioned this one as it's one that bugs me too.  I think the problem of wide players hitting the ball into defenders and the lack of passing in and around the box are related to the same thing. Players seem to have an area of influence that is too big, so they become ball magnets.  I think this manifests itself in any situation where one player is seeking space close to another. To give examples of what I mean:

In your scenario with a packed area and a defender trying to get the ball out of the danger zone , they'd be looking to find any gap, however narrow, to get the ball into some space that poses as little danger as possible, If the 'hitbox'  (for want of a better phrase) around a player is too big those gaps are proportionately smaller and the ME will calculate that the ball has been cleared to the opponent and the visualisation will make it look as if defenders always kick it to the opposition.

In the reverse scenario, attacks that require precision passes or the typical wide player's make a yard of space and fire the cross in, get stifled as the ME thinks the space isn't there.  So you get the cross that should be fired round the defender going straight into them and bouncing away for a throw-in or corner, and you get creative passes in the area being ignored for a safe pass out wide, because although visually space is there, in the ME's calculation it isn't.

Obviously only the ME team could say if that is the really cause, but it fits the symptoms.

Edited by rp1966

I played some matches on this beta using same tactic as on last patch and i saw some small differences: less 1vs1, still some missing goal opportunities (but more realistic, not like before), not so many long balls sent by the CDs. The annoying things that are still reproducible are the large amount of crosses that are blocked (it would be great if wingers or FBs instead of trying to cross when it is obviously they can't, should try to do something else) and when higher balls are coming the players (defensive one the most) are stepping on the balls leaving them behind even in situations when they could just stop the ball and lay it down or leaving it to go outside the field.

6 minutes ago, maestro31 said:

Just heard about the new public beta ME, I can continue my current save on there right and when theres a new patch for the retail version, my save should not be affected 

Correct. Although it's a good idea to make a backup of your existing save without any progress on the beta, incase there's any issues. The second post on the link below shows you how to make a backup.

Edited by SuperRedditch

Just noticed something that though not a major thing, could be something to be addressed.

Won the Carabao cup after getting a very favourable first few rounds where I could play my youngsters and decided to see just how many players I could get winners medals should I get to the final and win it.  Get the blurb after winning the competition that 36 players were given winners medals (you only need to participate in one game in the competition to recieve a medal).  So I decided to go check how many of my players had infact played in the competition.... 48 different players played some minutes in the competition, 12 of which have gone out on loan over the course of the season but they played for my side in the competition.

The twelve on loan players despite playing, so SHOULD be getting a medal don't even have it in their milestones that they won the competition despite helping to win the competition by playing in earlier rounds.  This isn't the way it works in real life.  Ritchie De Laet for example in the 2015/16 season with Leicester, he played 12 games in the first half of the season but was loaned out to Boro for the second half of the season.  He ended up getting promoted from the Championship AND getting a winners medal for the Premiership due to having played enough games for Leicester in the first half of the season.

I'm gonna have to keep an eye on this now as I have a CM who played 5 games as cover, but has been sent off on loan.  5 games = medal if you win the title so if he doesn't get a medal.....

Edit: Can confirm that after checking, players who had played in the competition but DIDN'T play in the final were granted milestones.  So seems even if they complete in a competition, the game ignore that fact if they are out on loan at the time you win at least the cups.  Now to hopefully find out if thats the case with the league.

Edited by LokiValfar