Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

3 minutes ago, szp said:

I'm pretty confused reading that so many of you guys complain about the amount of goals from set-pieces. I'm playing my first season with Newcastle on Beta (33 league games so far) and I have scored only 2 goals from corners and 1 from in-direct free kick. None of them are scored after a header. Also my rivals don't score this way often. My observations are that offensive players very often win air challenges, but they are unable to score a goal (most of the shots are over the bar, some straight in the keeper's hands). So for me the problem is totally opposite - far to less goals from set-pieces :)

A lot of the goals I see don't get registered as coming from set pieces. Rather they come in from a throw or corner, my defender clears it to the edge of the area, opposition passes it about a bit then scores. I don't see that many free kicks or corners that go in from one touch but so many goals I see start with a deadball situation. I don't think looking at the stats will give an accurate representation of the situation.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just had my 4th red card in 5 pre season friendlies in the US with Sevilla. At first I thought it was Mendy being Mendy (I just signed him on a free) but then my other left back got sent off the game after that and then my CM and finally my right back. Not all in the same game mind you but it is strange as they were all straight reds and I have only had one red card the whole of the previous season. Anyone had this before? 

1 hour ago, Al Zeer said:

I have just had my 4th red card in 5 pre season friendlies in the US with Sevilla. At first I thought it was Mendy being Mendy (I just signed him on a free) but then my other left back got sent off the game after that and then my CM and finally my right back. Not all in the same game mind you but it is strange as they were all straight reds and I have only had one red card the whole of the previous season. Anyone had this before? 

My defenders get a lot of cards, mostly the full backs.

1 hour ago, Tiger666 said:

My defenders get a lot of cards, mostly the full backs.

In a lot of games fullbacks get yellow card in the first minute of the game.It's insane, cause in reality referee don't give cards for first faults, only when thr tackle is horrible. 

1 hour ago, BoGdy said:

In a lot of games fullbacks get yellow card in the first minute of the game.It's insane, cause in reality referee don't give cards for first faults, only when thr tackle is horrible. 

As far as I can remember, it has always been like that in FM... This is unrealistic, and you have to deal with it.

8 hours ago, nmwaldron said:

Is it a known issue that the players in the graphics engine are often the wrong race/skin color and/or have the wrong hair color/style? I browsed the forum but I couldn't see anything about it. Is there a fix for this?

Not run into the match engine showing the wrong race (any examples of that with specific players should be raised in the bug forum), but I know the hairstyles being different is because of image rights and SI not wanting to run the risk of infringing on licenses for certain leagues/teams/players by having entirely accurate models for players they don't have the rights to.

Why are volleys/first time shots in the ME more accurate/lethal than the 1-on-1 finishes? Sure, once a volley is hit accurately, they are harder to deal with for the gk's, but the accuracy should be much lower than those 1-on-1 situation when forwards have more time to get the ball where they want in front of them before they shoot it. I think this also contributes to having more goals from crosses/indirect free kicks than 1on1's.

3 hours ago, Nick_CB said:

Can someone help me? I can't schedule friendlies for team B. There is no active league for them. I act but does not appear on the list and on the calendar

is it because 1 of your staff is set up to arrange them?

If you go to the B team schedule page, at the bottom it says responsibilities, click that and there is a checkbox with something like `backroom staff arrange friendly matches`, un tick that to take control.

Noticed a few weird things in fm20, there's a stream I watch and he took farsley into the prem consecutively (however you spell it) and his rep has stayed at 2*'s. Surely thats wrong right? My guess is the facilities and stadium makes the rep bigger? Find that very strange, makes the league alot more harder to survive as players whom are good and are from lower leagues either in or out the UK won't come as it's not a "bigger club"... they're in the prem. 

It shouldn't require to improve facilities to then go up otherwise you're losing money left, right and centre and scavenging money. I think it needs a relook, he should be at least 3* or 3 1/2. 

Getting the training advice summary and players i have on whatever individual training getting "no longer a weakness" 

What stat number is not considered a weakness anymore??

Got my GK on short GK distribution for vision, passing and first touch with his stats being 8, 8 and 10

still very much improvment needed for me

From what I've played, the ME is not as terrible as I thought (I was pretty angry with last year's). I've seen more variety of goals and manage to score quite a lot. Even Messi behaves closer to the real one in one of my saves, I've even seen him doing the same he did to Boateng years ago to a defender in a tiny space and scoring with a beautiful shot, something impossible on FM19. There are quite a few things to improve which have been long discussed here (1 on 1's, wingers not crossing to the obvious off the ball player and shooting instead, some unnecessary headers giving the ball to the opposition,etc).

Tweaks need to be made (I haven't played the new beta), but I just hope it doesn't revert to last year's low scoring fest, where almost every game felt dull to me. This year has a more realistic combination of results, at least from my experience with it.

10 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Not run into the match engine showing the wrong race (any examples of that with specific players should be raised in the bug forum), but I know the hairstyles being different is because of image rights and SI not wanting to run the risk of infringing on licenses for certain leagues/teams/players by having entirely accurate models for players they don't have the rights to.

Mason Greenwood and J. Sancho are just the first 2 exemples that come to mind. There are more tho.

16 minutes ago, diddydaddydoddy said:

@JordanMillward_1 Are you playing Liverpool a la Klopps tactics? If so, I wouldn’t mind seeing your set up. I’m trying to be like us in real life but struggling with Mané and Salah scoring regularly.

He has changed the system slightly which is affecting their output. The LFC preseason video in July was pretty insightful on how they were going to be setting up this season when they played their 433, though they have adapted systems frequently using the 4231 too.

I have no control over my team

I have tried the public beta it isn't much difference

seriously fm 19 me was so much better why can't they just put that 1 in this game??

just go on twitter and see how many people are complaining about this

why can't they improve the game and say when it will be done.

7 horas atrás, Steve8066 disse:

is it because 1 of your staff is set up to arrange them?

If you go to the B team schedule page, at the bottom it says responsibilities, click that and there is a checkbox with something like `backroom staff arrange friendly matches`, un tick that to take control.

Look

EDIT: Can someone please tell me if this is a bug?

Club Deportivo Mirandés_ Visão Geral.png

Mirandés B_ Matches.png

Edited by Nick_CB

Has anyone had an issue where attribute masking is suddenly enabled in your save? When i started my current save I had attribute masking disabled because it ruins the save for me but randomly and mysteriously players attributes are ambiguous... What is going on...

552943591_ScreenShot2020-01-29at8_08_15PM.thumb.png.85e45e0b38d578500c6508ab3655f564.png

If you think the public beta isn't an improvement, I would suggest you aren't playing it right.. it is blatantly a massive improvement for anyone who's tried both tbh...  Your remark about sticking an old games ME into this game is also telling of your experience with the game..  There are significant improvements from game to game so the match engine isn't transplantable into a new game, it's practically a blank slate for every new game and takes a lot of balancing..

How about some detail on what your actual issue with it is?

17 minutes ago, Pattric_b said:

Has anyone had an issue where attribute masking is suddenly enabled in your save? When i started my current save I had attribute masking disabled because it ruins the save for me but randomly and mysteriously players attributes are ambiguous... What is going on...

552943591_ScreenShot2020-01-29at8_08_15PM.thumb.png.85e45e0b38d578500c6508ab3655f564.png

Never seen this in my life... I would suggest maybe you got it wrong? and this is either a different save or you had it on all along... have a look in your game status page and see what it says?

16 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Never seen this in my life... I would suggest maybe you got it wrong? and this is either a different save or you had it on all along... have a look in your game status page and see what it says?

Definitely not the wrong save and I never had it. I like to scout obscure nations and youth players and never had attributes masked. Now suddenly players in my league are being masked. I can't explain it but its a save killer for me. Not sure what i should be looking at on the game status page:

1129006289_ScreenShot2020-01-29at8_47_09PM.thumb.png.9ff671f2aa787f1bfcd15801ea69233c.png

Just now, Forza#8903 said:

Loosing is never fun..

Nah, I remember losing against PSG in FM17 while not ragequitting. Telling myself 'we played good, can't do nothing against that dreadnought'. It was fair, or at least I sensed fairness. I wasn't tricked, it was immersive. I watched matches, now I don't watch them that often (I let them run silent in background).

Does anyone except me thinks that player who is "natural" in AMR position should at the very least be acomplished in a MR position. To have a guy natural at AMR and not even awkward at MR..like nothing at MR, no spot at all...this to me is totally stupid and unrealistic and should be fixed for FM2021. 

9 minutes ago, luka_ said:

Does anyone except me thinks that player who is "natural" in AMR position should at the very least be acomplished in a MR position. To have a guy natural at AMR and not even awkward at MR..like nothing at MR, no spot at all...this to me is totally stupid and unrealistic and should be fixed for FM2021. 

To be frank, it has always been difficult to comprehend how this kind of situation can happen in the game and it has been reported before.

On 20/01/2020 at 15:47, Major Raver said:

Now this is really interesting.  im noticing (im playing as Portsmouth in League 1 at the mo), that all the teams are setting up very defensive against me.  Its like the AI is set to be defensive and conservative.  I'm wondering how much the morale and mentality is effecting the results we are seeing.  Everyone is saying its the ME, but what if its things in the game that are causing the ME to behave that way?  What does drive me mad is we batter a team with 70% possession, 10ccc to their none, and then I get hit with a 35yard wonder freekick. Losing 1-0

This happens a lot but what I notice is i never get a result when this happens, no matter what i do, but when in games where I have gone down to 10 men and are losing by a single goal, i regularly find an equalizer or more.  Is this because the AI because less defensive when up against a team with 10 men?

The AI has been stupidly defensive for the last two versions, if you are semi-decent then they basically park the bus against you, and even if you score they just don't change their mentality. I click on their tactics a lot during the game and it's 4-5-1s or even 5-4-1s with defensive mentality, often with two DMs in front as well, it makes every game dull as ditchwater for me because you spend the whole time trying to break down teams that just camp in their box. I was playing Molde in Norway and they are a good team yes, but not that good and teams who are predicted to finish like 3rd or 4th in the league at home play like this.

But the same problem existed in FM19, I was in the second season of my saints save, had finished 5th the first season and was 2nd about half way through the season, I played Wolves, away who were 4th in the league and they played a flat back 5 with two DMs and a defensive mentality against me, essentially a Champions league chasing team facing a similar level team AT HOME and they parked the bus like they were a non-league club playing Man City. 

3 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

It's now two months since the last patch to change anything to do with the Match Engine for the full version. Is there any reason this is taking so long to be updated?

An updated match engine was released in the beta and is under review for further update.  Changes to the match engine are always the most problematical and need pretty thorough testing before release.

6 minutes ago, FrazT said:

To be frank, it has always been difficult to comprehend how this kind of situation can happen in the game and it has been reported before.

The same happens, when talking about wingers, or inside forwards that aren't acomplished to play in the opposite side. In modern football i can't remember a winger that can't play on both sides. 

1 minute ago, FrazT said:

An updated match engine was released in the beta and is under review for further update.  Changes to the match engine are always the most problematical and need pretty thorough testing before release.

I'm aware of that. There doesn't seem to be that many fixes in the beta either apart from the reduction of long balls. So in the past two months we have a beta patch that reduces long balls and apparently not much else. There's plenty of threads and problems that have been acknowledged as being an issue or under review but still hardly anything has been fixed. The whole process seems to be progressing very slowly.

Imagine, just for a moment, what the users reaction would be if and when an update was released early and caused further knock on issues? SI are aware of the issues with the ME and believe me, have been working on multiple fixes, but will clearly only release an update when they know that it is ready.  Nobody knows what the timing of updates will be till they are released, so while your ( and other user's ) frustration is understood, we will all need to be patient.

5 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

I've been patient for the two and a half months it's been since the game was released as a supposedly finished product. I've been patient while all the bug threads I've started have still not been fixed. I've been patient as I have no other choice but I still do not think this whole process is good enough. As this is the feedback thread, I feel it's the most appropriate place to put my feelings across. I'll leave it there.

Fine- I am sure that your views will be noted.

48 minutes ago, luka_ said:

I find this one particularly frustrating because, whenever  I’m playing a flat 442,  I find it very difficult to find natural MRs or MLs but there loads of players who are natural in the advanced role. I now ignore the circles and work on the principal that anybody who is a natural in one position can play perfectly well in any adjacent position.

A complaint/suggestion on Club Vision.

At the moment we can choose to add or remove certain things from the vision, which is good, but we don't get the option of modifying either the importance or the degree of what's already there.

For example, my board at Spurs want me to get to the FA  Cup final (2 bars of importance) and don't care at all about the Carabao Cup. I'd like to change this so that my FA Cup goal is quarter finals (at same level of importance) and to give 1 bar of importance to doing well in the Carabao. But I can't do this in the negotiation phase since neither the importance nor the "distance" seem to be negotiable. I can add a Whole new requirement, or try to cut out one of the above, but I can't propose to change the requirements or importance Within existing goals.

This seems unnecessarily limiting.

55 minutes ago, luka_ said:

3 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

I find this one particularly frustrating because, whenever  I’m playing a flat 442,  I find it very difficult to find natural MRs or MLs but there loads of players who are natural in the advanced role. I now ignore the circles and work on the principal that anybody who is a natural in one position can play perfectly well in any adjacent position.

Real life players will have had that set by Researchers, I'd report it in here...https://community.sigames.com/forum/708-database-and-research/

It could purely be down to my tactics, playing gegenpress, attacking mentality, shorter passing,  play out of defence, counter press, counter and high line, but I am finding that no matter who I play, they have more possession than me but my shots far outweigh theirs.  As an example the last match I played the oppo had 56% possession but they had 0 shots on goal and I had 24.  Match before that, I had 39% possession but had 21 shots to their 8.  I won both games but it does seem odd my possession stats seem so low.

19 minutes ago, JB22 said:

It could purely be down to my tactics, playing gegenpress, attacking mentality, shorter passing,  play out of defence, counter press, counter and high line, but I am finding that no matter who I play, they have more possession than me but my shots far outweigh theirs.  As an example the last match I played the oppo had 56% possession but they had 0 shots on goal and I had 24.  Match before that, I had 39% possession but had 21 shots to their 8.  I won both games but it does seem odd my possession stats seem so low.

The tactics section of the forum may be able to discuss this with you, but without knowing a bit more about your tactic, try dropping the mentality to positive, you should see more of the ball.

Edited by sidslayer

I feel even the public Beta conversion rate is quite low, I got plenty of draws or 0-1 loses despite de facts that I am creating far more CCC and Set Pieces opportunities than my rivals. And not is not about tactics as am talking about 1vs1 in central plays or crosses from the wings...

6 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

I feel even the public Beta conversion rate is quite low, I got plenty of draws or 0-1 loses despite de facts that I am creating far more CCC and Set Pieces opportunities than my rivals. And not is not about tactics as am talking about 1vs1 in central plays or crosses from the wings...

Agreed, especially compared to the opposition who seem to finish most chances