Tactical Advice

Hello, I'm in my second season with Salford City with the aim to reach for the league two playoffs after i finished 8th last season where the aim was to get a top half finish, Here is my tactic:

035FEA41597548156824E4CF7A225BD02FE16CA5 (1366×768)

As you can see right now i'm in sixth, so overall the tactic hasn't been a failure for the early start to the season, but i feel there are some tweaks to be made to get the most out of this squad, that has been predicted to finish 3rd. 

The biggest strength of this is definitely the defense, as i finished last season with the best defensive record and this season i haven't looked truly poor on the defensive side yet, the most alarming issue is going forward, ranking 12th in goals scored last season and so far this season other than the sporadic 2 or 3 goal performance i struggle going forward. In the last 5 matches i have scored 3 goals from 199 touches in the opponent's penalty area. So far this season , after 6 games i rank highest in possesion (57%), passes (2586), passes completion % (79%) and shots on target % (50%), and im 3rd in amount of shots on target (36) but 13th in chances created (9) and 9th in conversion rate (9%).

My PIs are

Both CBs to take fewer risks

B2B to shoot less often

Mezzala to Dribble More, take more risks and shoot less often

Both IFs to stay wider.

Advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Lose pass into space, it doesn't fit well with shorter passing, take shorter kicks, counter-press, higher LOE, and higher DL, you aren't leaving any space to pass into in the first place, and since you only want short kicks, how much space can there be 5 yards away?

Im not sure about passing into space and combination of high tempo with overlap (also overlap brokes your IF(s) mentality for balanced only from positive). Do you like your IF(s) current decisions?
Also you have FB(a) in positive mentality and give him more attacking mentality by overlap

Possibly you could choose FB(d) for WB(d) when you dominate

I want to say change one IF for W but if you will do, not sure about which flank and MEZ role so its too much changes imho

-----

If you swith MEZ and BBM it will be fine for change BBM for CAR role but this is a big change too

The first thing I'd say is do you really need all those TIs and PIs? General advice is that unless you can give a convincing reason for them being there, don't use them.

Watch a few games on full (or first 20 mins at least) and see if what you think should be happening actually is.

In terms of your roles, I'd be tempted to go wb(s) on the left and wb(a) on the right and I think you could get away with making your dlp a support duty and the mezzala a cm on attack.

If nothing else I'd go with the wing backs - with the inside forwards cutting in there should be space for them to attack.

Edited by macca7292

Also, I've never been a fan of a lone striker on attack duty (I know that they can work but I've never managed it!)

I'd go dlf (s) or false nine to link with the midfield better and leave space for your inside forwards to attack.

On 24/11/2019 at 21:45, Jaydenoren said:

035FEA41597548156824E4CF7A225BD02FE16CA5 (1366×768)

On 24/11/2019 at 21:45, Jaydenoren said:

i feel there are some tweaks to be made to get the most out of this squad, that has been predicted to finish 3rd

The tweaks I would strongly recommend include:

- drop the tempo from extremely high to standard (or just higher at most), because on a high-risk mentality such as Positive (or above) the tempo is already high enough by default

- remove the Overlap right, because you already have a natural overlap there with the combo of FBat and IFsu 

- swap the BBM and MEZ around, lest your right flank be overly exposed defensively (BBM in MCR and MEZ in MCL). In fact, I would go with a carrilero (MCR) instead of BBM

- change the AML into a winger on attack duty (because it tends to work better with a PF on attack than IFat does)

- if you adopt my previous suggestions, then also consider changing the LB from FBde into either FBsu, WBde or IWBsu (or IWBde), so that he could support attacks more effectively while remaining defensively responsible at the same time

- neither passing into space nor wide attacking width are necessary as part of your starting (basic) tactic as far as I am concerned (or use them only situationally/occasionally, i.e. when it clearly makes sense in a particular match or situation)

Whether some more tweaks would be needed depends primarily on the type and quality of your players.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Before reading this i actually changed it a bit. The new tactic was this: 035FEA41597548156824E4CF7A225BD02FE16CA5 (1366×768)

As for the impact it had, the fixtures i had after this were:

5169EE116BE0B5631B2C0DF52FCF6AB77CD53E4E (1366×768)

As you can see, the impact it had was drastic, going forward there were drastic improvements and i was comfortably first, but after a seven game run i took a sharp dip in form, inconsistent going forward and leakier at the back than normal, so with all your advice taken this will be my new tactic:

BBD10208A520DEB40D1B9F3C3DA8CB10A5B77B58 (1366×768)

Will update soon!

Edited by Jaydenoren