Shouts that never work

It seems that most shouts never get a good response.  "Demand More", "Get Creative", and "Show Some Passion" pretty much always work, and other than a very rare "Encourage" or "Praise", the rest have NEVER gotten me a good response. 

If someone has received good responses from them, I'm curious how/when.

The circumstances for each seem pretty clear, but I'd still like to know what others experience.

Some work at different times. Hopefully someone will come along to post a link which references good times to use certain ones. There's one for when they score. The biggest thing to say is, their age, their personality, and your reputation all have an impact. I hope this helps until a more constructive response comes along. If you google things like Football Manager Shouts Frustration or Shouts Explained, you'll get to some good examples and could probably print those discussions out or write down/copy paste em. Good Luck!

I paused a recent match to review the body language of my team and noted that there were 7 ( seven) different responses showing for the 11 players- I am seriously wondering how any manager can interpret and react to that.  I also cannot understand how any professional football player who is playing at a reasonable standard can be "overwhelmed by the feedback" 

Of course body language can be quite important but at the moment it is to complex to make you want to spend time understanding it.

9 minutes ago, wicksyFM said:

Score a goal to go 1-0 ahead. Praise the players. Players frustrated by feedback. 😂😂

Never gets a good response at 1-0 up but always gets a good response at 2-0. This is for a top team in my experience and was the same last year. The code there is that simple.

What annoys me is that I use shouts like I would react IRL. So when you're maybe 3-0 up and the other team score from a mistake, I would yell 'CONCENTRATE' and the team end up crying. Why?

Same as going 1-0 up. Encourage should be an acceptable shout ("Come on boys, keep going!") but they are frustrated...

3 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

So when you're maybe 3-0 up and the other team score from a mistake, I would yell 'CONCENTRATE' and the team end up crying.

It's like the "don't get complacent" team talk though. It would work if players are in danger of losing motivation or concentration due to complacency, but after they concede, they'll snap out of it so there's no need to shout Concentrate after the fact.

5 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

Same as going 1-0 up. Encourage should be an acceptable shout ("Come on boys, keep going!") but they are frustrated...

This is also the wrong context. You should be encouraging (which is for a lack of confidence) your team when you're (for example) at 0-0 or even 0-1 down against a better team.

Can't say for fm20, but in previous versions they always worked if said in the right tone and at right time. I nearly had some if them in like clock work example.

Calm Concentrate 1-15mins 45-55mins settled early nerves/complacency.

Assertive concentrate after you score

Passionate/aggressive concentrate to a player making mistakes playing poor.

Passionate/aggressive demand more when losing 75mins+

Assertive tighten up 1-0 up

Passionate/aggressive tighten up when just conceded but still 1 goal up (2-1 usually)

There the main ones I use that I can think of. I've used calm down but that seems to work too much and players switch off became uninterested. Besides I've no problem with sending off, I likem to get stuck in

Praise works well when you come back from behind, I'll use it when we got 3-0 up too, the players like that one 

Encourage, I've used a few times & got zero response, I've no idea how that one works, when you're 3-0 down maybe?

Get Creative fires up support duty players 

All shouts can work, it's about using them in the right context.  "Push forward" for example can be great when a goal or two down, you nick an equaliser/pull a goal back towards the end of the match, as this can fire up the players to take advantage of the opposition who might be feeling the pressure.  There is also quite a lot of misinformation / misunderstanding about them - "Concentrate" for example is useful for when players look complacent, not if you're 3-0 up and let a goal in.

https://community.sigames.com/topic/399243-touchline-team-talks/

https://community.sigames.com/topic/487345-no-tactic-and-lots-of-experimental-shouting/

1 hour ago, Tiger666 said:

Yet another example of something in the game that's barely explained. I dread to think how newcomers to this game manage with so little information.

Totally agree.  The context of each shout should be made clear up front in game- not just on these boards.  After that, it is up to the manager to employ them productively in the match.

I got laughing about this because I had a high school coach who would yell at us to "concentrate!" or "focus!" whenever he thought we were drifting a bit on the field - regardless of the score.  So, I instinctively did this in FM to less than desirable results.

1 hour ago, Tiger666 said:

Yet another example of something in the game that's barely explained. I dread to think how newcomers to this game manage with so little information.

I like the lack of handholding in the game. Over time, you can work out yourself how all the different parts work, which is the way it should be. 

Might be overwhelming (ha, see what I did there) for newcomers, but FM has always been a steep learning curve. As all simulation based games should be. We were all newcomers at one time or another. 

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

I like the lack of handholding in the game. Over time, you can work out yourself how all the different parts work, which is the way it should be. 

Might be overwhelming (ha, see what I did there) for newcomers, but FM has always been a steep learning curve. As all simulation based games should be. We were all newcomers at one time or another. 

There's a learning curve, then there's a complete lack of information. There's a difference.

Just now, Tiger666 said:

There's a learning curve, then there's a complete lack of information. There's a difference.

Had this discussion with @FrazT and we tend to agree with this. I have no problem using touchline shouts, but others can and do. Unlike team talks, which has a feedback screen that you can look at after a match, touchline shouts a) don't accurately describe what it is you're shouting and b) give feedback as to why they're "overwhelmed" (a poor term to describe what's happening) so I can see why there are complaints.

vor 25 Minuten schrieb extremeskins04:

I've never gotten encourage, concentrate or push forward to work or get a positive response.  It didn't matter if my boys were angry, frustrated, nervous, complacent.  It didn't matter if we were down a goal or 5 goals.

In my experience push forward works sometimes for the last minutes in combination with a more attacking approach.

I've stopped using a fair few shouts en massé, I now direct them at certain players. For example, rather than praise the team after a goal, I'll direct it only at the goal scorer/assist.

Show some passion, get creative and push forward are the only ones I use these days. The others seem counter intuitive to me at the moment, need to delve in a bit deeper.

Edited by KillYourIdols

11 hours ago, sidslayer said:

Demand more is solid when drawing.

About the only one I use at the moment. As said above the rest just get bizarre responses at times so generally don't bother

I've found 3 shouts I can use to a positive effect...3.

My team is trailing by a goal away with 1 man sent off, I use the shout "encourage", and half the team is frustrated by that shout !? I thought encouragement was good when you're having  a hard time? Who makes up these reactions, and is there a decent guide or are they not worth it?

Edited by Tryllefot

Even team talks seems to generate unexpected results this year. I used to be pretty decent at that, but the players' feedback is all over the place this FM. Maybe it's the fact I started with a low reputation, idk, but it was the recommended reputation for my lower league team.

I've had players get complacent/uninterested in matches against much bigger sides or matches that could decide the season, etc. Seems so much less predictable and much harder.

On 26/11/2019 at 12:44, Dagenham_Dave said:

We were all newcomers at one time or another. 

Of course, but a large percentage of us were newcomers when the game was little more than transfers and tactics. The game has grown in complexity massively in the last 10 years or so. 

On 26/11/2019 at 04:28, sixsecondsleft said:

It seems that most shouts never get a good response.  "Demand More", "Get Creative", and "Show Some Passion" pretty much always work, and other than a very rare "Encourage" or "Praise", the rest have NEVER gotten me a good response. 

If someone has received good responses from them, I'm curious how/when.

The circumstances for each seem pretty clear, but I'd still like to know what others experience.

I would agree with this 100%. I use those three every time.