Help with mls?

Hi first off i have read many guides and kind of have a grasp on the mls. I am struggling and need some advice regarding wages etc. 

1) does the mls work now on fm20 ive read alot that theres alot of bugs and the rules arent used well by the ai? 

2) i have a wage cap of 4.2m per annum but in my finances i have a wage budget of 27m per annum i guess this is for wages that fall outside of the cap. Which is where my problems lie, i seem to be missing something, i am trying to sign a player as a designated player i can offer them the dp contract but no more than 300k per annum? I thought this was the point of dp. A portion goes towards salary cap and the rest out my "other" wage budget which is 27m per annum and im currently spending around 5m per annum, i also dont get new budgets the following season is this normal? 

What am i missing? 

The board will restrict how much money you can offer a player, even for DP contracts.  The higher a player's reputation, the more money they'll let you offer.

I haven't finished my first season yet, so I can't comment on the following year budget.  I've already noticed the AI (as usual) having trouble handling MLS rosters--one team had just 15 players signed to contracts after two months of the season.