Long Balls Behind The Defence

Hello everyone. 

I've been playing FM for years. This year I'm struggling with long balls that were sent to the behind of the defense. I have tried almost everything, but I have not succeeded.

Here is my tactics. I'm doing ok on attacking but giving lots of chances to oppositions by long balls over the defence. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Football Manager 2020 Screenshot 2019.11.29 - 13.24.41.46.png

Edited by srvngrc

5 hours ago, srvngrc said:

Football Manager 2020 Screenshot 2019.11.29 - 13.24.41.46.png

This year I'm struggling with long balls that were sent to the behind of the defense

giving lots of chances to oppositions by long balls over the defence. Do you have any suggestions?

The most obvious factors in your tactic that potentially contribute to that are:

- higher DL

- more urgent pressing (in conjunction with the high DL)

- counter-press

And the high-risk mentality (Positive) might be also adding to the above (because the mentality automatically affects all instructions).

In terms of roles and duties, what also may be a factor is the vulnerability of your right flank due to having both RB and RCM on attack duty + the Overlap right that makes the already attack-minded IWBat even more so.

You probably don't have good enough players to take such level of (defensive) risk.

1 saat önce, Experienced Defender said:

The most obvious factors in your tactic that potentially contribute to that are:

- higher DL

- more urgent pressing (in conjunction with the high DL)

- counter-press

And the high-risk mentality (Positive) might be also adding to the above (because the mentality automatically affects all instructions).

In terms of roles and duties, what also may be a factor is the vulnerability of your right flank due to having both RB and RCM on attack duty + the Overlap right that makes the already attack-minded IWBat even more so.

You probably don't have good enough players to take such level of (defensive) risk.

Thank you. I’ll try. 

38 minutes ago, srvngrc said:

Thank you. I’ll try

Okay, but do not make all the tweaks at once, but rather step by step. First remove the more urgent pressing (leave it on default) and the overlap right (maybe even the underlap left as well). Then play to see if the problem still persists. If it does, make the next tweak (or a couple of them) and try again. In any case, change the IWB's duty from attack to support (if not even defend). 

Btw, your tactic generally contains way too many unnecessary instructions (besides those that are contributing to your defensive vulnerability).

Basically what experienced defender said. 

Defensive line is going to encourage your fullbacks to be further away from goal. That is the first issue you exacerbate it with attacking roles like IWB and WB which tend to bomb forward and then you have overlap and underlap which increase the positioning and mentality of the two players. So basically each time you attack these players are very high up. If your backline is very good and fast it may bot be an issue, but it sounds like you need to change duties/roles or even the TIs.