How should you approach training

I skipped FM19 so am new to training and what I am trying to get my head round is do I set up schedules that suit my style of play or is it a case of getting as many of the schedules into a training programme.

I am manager Arsenal and want to play a 4231 slightly direct passing, counter pressing and counter attacking.

I want the team to play like Liverpool engaging the opposition in a counter press and looking to break as quickly as possible.

I want my Fullbacks to create width and crosses, one of my CMs to sit as a DM DLP D, the other is a Mezzala and then a AP in the whole with the front three consisting of IF, DLF and IW. My first choice XI would be as below

GK(SK-S)

RB(WB/FB-A) CB(BPD-D) CB LB(WB/FB-S)

DM(DLP-D)

CM(MEZ-S)

AM(AP-S)

RWF(IW-S).   FWD(DLF-A).     LWF(IF-A)

It's an a symmetrical 4231 so the width comes from the FB/WB.

So I read Troy from FM Life's blog about how training should be approached in terms of what makes DNA of your tactics.

With things such as defensive shape or defending set pieces I only should use these in a focused way game to game?

If I just understand the fundamentals in the simplest way, I should be able to build schedules from there.

Edited by The Solman

30 minutes ago, The Solman said:

I skipped FM19 so am new to training and what I am trying to get my head round is do I set up schedules that suit my style of play or is it a case of getting as many of the schedules into a training programme.

I am manager Arsenal and want to play a 4231 slightly direct passing, counter pressing and counter attacking.

I want the team to play like Liverpool engaging the opposition in a counter press and looking to break as quickly as possible.

I want my Fullbacks to create width and crosses, one of my CMs to sit as a DM DLP D, the other is a Mezzala and then a AP in the whole with the front three consisting of IF, DLF and IW. My first choice XI would be as below

GK(SK-S)

RB(WB/FB-A) CB(BPD-D) CB LB(WB/FB-S)

DM(DLP-D)

CM(MEZ-S)

AM(AP-S)

RWF(IW-S).   FWD(DLF-A).     LWF(IF-A)

It's an a symmetrical 4231 so the width comes from the FB/WB.

So I read Troy from FM Life's blog about how training should be approached in terms of what makes DNA of your tactics.

With things such as defensive shape or defending set pieces I only should use these in a focused way game to game?

If I just understand the fundamentals in the simplest way, I should be able to build schedules from there.

I answered a bit how I approach team training schedules here.

The way I see it, the main things to consider are:

1) What training sessions make the most sense for how you want your team to play?

This should guide your general approach to creating schedules.

2) What training sessions make the most sense for your upcoming schedule?

A full week of training before a match will allow for more specific types of training.

A game in mid-week means you might have to go for a more general approach.

3) What training sessions make the most sense for your next game?

Got a big game coming up against a team that's expected to beat you?

Maybe focus more on the defensive side on things in training that week.

That doesn't mean completely ignore attacking or technical sessions, but maybe the emphasis should be more 60/40 or 70/30 on the defensive side.

I very rarely use the sessions for defending at set pieces, but if I did it would be for teams who look to specialize in that area where they are a big threat or score most of their goals from those situations.

Honestly i dont like the new training system, i preferred the old one where i could just select a training focus and match prep, so now i just leave it my assistant.

But i do choose each players training role and individual training.

Had no problems doing this so far.

5 hours ago, Siven said:

Honestly i dont like the new training system, i preferred the old one where i could just select a training focus and match prep, so now i just leave it my assistant.

But i do choose each players training role and individual training.

Had no problems doing this so far.

Ah I didn't realise you could leave it to the assistant but then still control roles and individual training. Do you still find your young players develop as well as you would expect them to with the assistant taking the lead?