[FM20] It's official - I have no idea what I'm doing

After having successful possession tactics for the past few years in FM I decided to continue the tradition and try similar tactics in this years version however have hit issues with pretty much all tactics. They just don't work. I can't even seem to get shots off never mind scoring and I have no idea why... I have tried so many different tactics, with logical thinking with the exact same result. So I decided to try this... which 99% of people would tell me it stands no chance but I'm averaging over 3 goals a game and conceding less than 1 with at least 55% possession -

1657496207_Noidea.thumb.PNG.9ce8a9cea4adff463de1cf353a968f3b.PNG

Can someone tell me why this works however the below doesn't? -

1563527387_noidea1.thumb.PNG.0c2a1e7ccd4143bb57e886f40834e0be.PNG

1501577131_noidea2.thumb.PNG.55263ba9ca97c0ec48f4ffee25eae1fc.PNG

These are just two examples but plenty of others have been tried with very similar results, inclduing trying these on balanced and positive.

Edited by RPM_01

4 hours ago, RPM_01 said:

1657496207_Noidea.thumb.PNG.9ce8a9cea4adff463de1cf353a968f3b.PNG

I have tried so many different tactics, with logical thinking with the exact same result. So I decided to try this... which 99% of people would tell me it stands no chance but I'm averaging over 3 goals a game and conceding less than 1 with at least 55% possession

Can someone tell me why this works however the below doesn't?

I absolutely agree with you that this tactic - or any of that kind -  should never work and should in fact prove a total failure if a purpose of FM is to be as close a simulation of real-life football as possible (from the perspective of tactics). Your claim that this tactic actually works very well for you means that SI developers still have plenty of work to do to make the game as realistic as possible.

I have to admit that I personally don't like the other 2 tactics either, but they are at least way more balanced and logical than that first one.

There is never such a thing as too many attacking duties in FM.  In the actual tactics-testing leagues, the most productive tactics are all pants on head ******** tactics that shouldn’t work in real life.  Then you have influential con artists who repackage the broken elements of the ME as their own tactical genius and chastise others for just not being Klopp or not having read inverting the pyramid and go down defending how great the ME is.

The fact that the first tactic works just shows how sometimes there's a big discrepancy between how real football works and FM. Afterall we have to remember it's still just a game, which can sometimes be exploited. However there are some things in the other tactics can be holding them back. Like too many instructions basically telling the same thing and roles that don't really make sense. Why inverted wingback on defend? Both tactic s would have a lot trouble creating width and space because of the roles you chose.