Having to make opening offer in contract negotiations

I've ran into this twice recently - I go to sign a player, their agent asks for me to make an opening offer, I have no real idea so ask my DoF to suggest (he has 14 in negotiations so isnt an idiot), when I go with his suggestion the agent gets mad, and demands I accept his terms. If I try and make any adjustments they call off talks, and I lose the deal.

Clearly something not quite balanced here. Either the DoF should not be making suggestions that are so out of line, or the agents should not be making such a fuss.

Some players just aren’t that interested in coming to you. I always find its these players that ask you to make an opening offer, then demand a one off, normally substantially more than I offered, take it or leave it.

Makes sense to me.

4 hours ago, FrazT said:

Does the scout report not give some idea of the wage demands that the player might want?

I never struggle in terms of wages as I'd always have a scout report ready, but I can be quite off with the additional clauses and terms, even taking into account what the player is currently getting.

As @sidslayermentions, it could be a case of the agent not liking you or your club very much. If that's the case, I can believe it.

i have found alot of agents clubs and players themselves are more savvy and impatient when it comes to negotiation, i like this it because i could manipulate offers and contracts before, paying out minimal fee's now its more exiting when you can lure a player to your club...

1 hour ago, ezakuroy said:

I've also found (in both FM 19 and FM 20) that my DoF consistently lowballs basically everything.  The Scout report's wages are far more accurate, which makes me wonder why my DoF never comes close to following it.

This. The DoF is basically just there as a fail button at the moment it seems. Don't have it, or make it at least potentially useful.

My DoF is not much more than a glorified, highly paid scout to be fair.

When the Agent asks for your opening offer, then yeah, the negotiations are usually pretty short. However, I always offer the low-end of the scout report suggestion for wage. A three year deal and leave everything else blank.

They come back with a higher wage, and a list of clauses. I then decide which ones to accept., to reduce or remove (I always remove the yearly wage raise - never a problem) and try again. I always base it on what  I am prepared to pay for this particular player though. 

I don't know whether the promises and pathways offered make a difference to the contract, I am guessing they do, but I generally remove any promises without a problem - which could potentially up the acceptable level of contract.