26yo "Elite attacking midfielder" lost 30% of his value in 5 months?

What's going on here!

My 26 year old elite attacking midfielder lost 30% of his value over just 5 months? He lost about 4 points spread across all skills (most of them irrelevant, like "long throws") and that results in a -30% value?

Something started looking shady so I started taking screenshots, you'll have to click and scroll through the images to be able to make something out - the date is in the top right corner, the value in the middle.

Jul 2nd.png

Nov 8th.png

Nov 15th.png

nov 30th.png

Edited by charliebigpot

Because the top end prices for players value listed in the game tops out about £85m-£90m

I'm assuming he's up in the 100s because that's how much he was purchased for - the game basically sees that as 'overpaying' and then reduces the price down to what it thinks 'normal' is for a player of that quality.

Has always been like this in FM.

6 hours ago, CaptainPlanet said:

Because the top end prices for players value listed in the game tops out about £85m-£90m

I'm assuming he's up in the 100s because that's how much he was purchased for - the game basically sees that as 'overpaying' and then reduces the price down to what it thinks 'normal' is for a player of that quality.

Has always been like this in FM.

I think you might be right generally speaking but I actually paid him 60m 5 seasons ago, when he was 20-21, so not sure if that's the case (see screenshot). His value climbed year after year since then and has been +100 for at least two-three seasons.

havretz.thumb.png.d4d4343ba3d9dfd75f1e3d7a252dc1d5.png

6 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Why do you keep changing the asking price? 

Anyway, value is pretty meaningless. If you don't want to sell a player, it doesn't matter what it is, and if you do, you'll set your own price anyway. I rarely take any notice of it. 

I'm trying to sell him to make money since he's contract will run out this season. I keep adjusting the asking price to what the value is since I guess no team will spend 120 when his value is only 80? But maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way then? What do you use as an indicator when selling players?

3 hours ago, charliebigpot said:

I think you might be right generally speaking but I actually paid him 60m 5 seasons ago, when he was 20-21, so not sure if that's the case (see screenshot). His value climbed year after year since then and has been +100 for at least two-three seasons.

Oh it's in dollars, so yeah it'll be higher topped out amount and the value reduction is because his contract is running down so he's worth less, just like players IRL.