What do players do in a slump?

Just wondering what people try when on a poor run? It seems like every game/season is the same for me- strong start, unexpected loss (often due to ridicilous number of injuries but that is another story), go on a massive run of no wins and then an indifferent end of the season (if not sacked).

No matter what I try, I can't seem to break a poor run off form. I've tried sticking with places, replacing them, resting for a couple of games, no signings, lots of signings- it seems that no matter what team, what game I play, every season I go on an awful run.

On 08/12/2019 at 23:48, bgs4 said:

Just wondering what people try when on a poor run? It seems like every game/season is the same for me- strong start, unexpected loss (often due to ridicilous number of injuries but that is another story), go on a massive run of no wins and then an indifferent end of the season (if not sacked).

No matter what I try, I can't seem to break a poor run off form. I've tried sticking with places, replacing them, resting for a couple of games, no signings, lots of signings- it seems that no matter what team, what game I play, every season I go on an awful run.

In the first few seasons of a game, I pretty much always find I go through a bad patch too. Usually just try and change training and be less disciplined with fining etc. to avoid lowering morale further. Play players based on last 5 games form (as many players with at least one or two green bars!). Make 1st team players available for reserves to hopefully give them a game they can score a few etc. A 'cheat' I also try (easier with clubs not playing in Europe) is to arrange mid-week/international break friendlies against the worst team you can find. Get a few 10-0 wins and it is great for morale.

I also avoid signing players with low determination/leadership and try and sign ones with high ratings. After a few seasons, my teams generally have better players with better mental stats that seem to cope a bit better.

In response to a strong start or any strong run of form for a longer period of time, the opposition AI will start to approach matches against you in a different way, i.e. sit deeper, offer less space, etc.

Watch how the matches unfold and tweak your tactics accordingly, then you should be fine. I think it´s fairly sensible for the AI to approach "on fire" teams differently.

On 10/12/2019 at 16:54, eencae said:

I also avoid signing players with low determination/leadership and try and sign ones with high ratings.

This is a very important thing to keep in mind, not just regarding slumps, and one that is probably overlooked all too often. Especially depending on your preferred style of play (i.e. high pressing, physically intense), determination and work rate can be so hugely important.

On 16/12/2019 at 07:08, Jasonxx said:

In response to a strong start or any strong run of form for a longer period of time, the opposition AI will start to approach matches against you in a different way, i.e. sit deeper, offer less space, etc.

Watch how the matches unfold and tweak your tactics accordingly, then you should be fine. I think it´s fairly sensible for the AI to approach "on fire" teams differently.

This is a very important thing to keep in mind, not just regarding slumps, and one that is probably overlooked all too often. Especially depending on your preferred style of play (i.e. high pressing, physically intense), determination and work rate can be so hugely important.

This has always been a must for me going back to the CM in the 90’s/00’s. 

Even if I see a newgen wonderkid with awesome stats I just won’t touch them with a barge-pole if they have low determination. 

Even Havertz is a no go for me!

Mentoring is meant to help, but I’ve never seen huge improvements.