Till Human Voices Wake Us, And We Drown.

kkfootball

A Snowed in Christmas in Belarus

Introduction

Oneirological encyclopedias can't aid my understanding the meaning of this nightmare I find myself in. Cruel winters and particularly tormenting summers in Belarus.

I am an American poet who lived in the United Kingdom (don't worry, I'll spare you the verse) and, approaching twenty, an anxiety swept over me. I was compelled to embark on my odyssey. 

I found myself at the job center, and landed myself with a small club in Belarus: Orsha. All went well during my first year. I, looking to play my standard 4-3-3 narrow system spent a couple hours finding the best full backs to lead the team, as well as bringing in a few to fill in the spine for the time being. After a rocky start leaving us in mid-table, a late season push led by the clinical Fedor Sapon and slip ups by Smolevichi and Volna put us first.

Winning the league (a relatively reputable professional league), I started applying for jobs in the West. Shockingly these teams "don't know who you are." This put a damper on my plans. I take this team to the Vysheshaya league and not even Conference teams will have me. I'm stuck for the winter (at least).

It is in this light that I begin the account of my journey.

Season One

Since I will be stuck in this metaphorical snowed in cabin (or Ogygia if you'll entertain the continuance of my hook), I ought to give more detail of the happenings of season one.

When I arrived at Orsha I had a partial team. Of course, I had an abundance of wingers; just my luck. I sent the wingers to the reserves for a proper appraisal of the team. One solid full back: Sijaka; one solid center back: Kozorez; two strikers: Sapon and Zatenko. The rest of the team would have to brought in. I brought in the one adequate left back available, a speedster with a defensive posture, but lacking in technical ability. Such is life in these parts. In addition a solid center back, playmaker (and a couple rotation options), and striker was brought in. The rest of the positions were filled in with youth and mediocre talent. 

With this jolly band, the Pershaya league would be put to the sword. Sapon scored 31 in 30, Sijaka and the left back (Sergey) performed to the standard expected, and the defense (not my strong suit), was one of the best in the league. 

The team had five spots in the team of the year (st: Zatenko, Sapon. mf: Kukharchik. def: Sijaka, Sergey) and I won manager of the year. 

For the coming year, given the rejections of all teams this summer, I plan to further prove my ability by exceeding the expectation (that we'll be relegated). I'm confident we will finish mid-table. Expect the Americans to raise this team to the next level. Their careful integration is vital. I only have room for five non Belarusians.

Season 1: Won Pershaya league. Not in cups.

Edited by kkfootball
added summary

Season Two

The season began with a strong start, a win against BATE Borisov in both the opener and semi-final in the cup. The cup was subsequently won by us, and following our qualification for the Europa League, we were knocked out in a credible duel against CSKA Moscow. The new arrivals (American) showed well in the season. Ray Ripken was leading the league in scoring, knocking in a goal every 100 minutes. Hickman held down the midfield, and Chan and Reyes strengthened the back line. With nine games remaining in the season, and with Orsha in second place (teetering and struggling in the later fixtures), I found a job with Kuopion Palloseura. They were sitting third with five games remaining and I led them to a second place finish by the end of the season. 

The plans for next season are to bring in the American contingent (Americans used to count as "EU" but no longer do in Finland), and implement the 4-3-3 narrow tactic. The finances are poor and the club is in debt. Wingers will be sold, the elderly cut. Order and balance will be brought back. 

In all, I'm just pleased to get out of Belarus. I took the first job I could land and will eventually settle in a big five league.

Big things are happening next year. Expect multiple cup wins and the league. If not, I will likely ax myself.

Season 1: Won Pershaya league. Not in cups.

Season 2: Won Belarusian Cup. Lost in qualification rounds of Europa League. Second place in Veikkausliiga.