4-1-2-3: Struggling with scoring

Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice on how I may be able to get more goals from my attachers in my Attacking 4-1-2-3 formation.

I'm playing a new game as Atletico Madrid, and from 18 competitive games I feel like my front 3 are struggling for goals: Felix has 2 goals, Costa 4, Morata 5 & Lemar 3. On the Analysis page I can see that of 307 touches in the opposition penalty area I have score 6 goals. Too often I feel like goals are coming from the edge of the box, rather than closer to the penalty area.

Are there any tips you can suggest or role changes? I have tried a few different roles for the CF but I have so far been unhappy with all of them, and the average ratings for Felix on the left wing are consistently low. 

image.thumb.png.f24e4a7ed44619cbe3fbd15121cdb7db.png

2 hours ago, MrWhite09 said:

image.thumb.png.f24e4a7ed44619cbe3fbd15121cdb7db.png

I might be wrong, but looking at your tactic - it seems to me as though you are trying to sort of emulate Rashidi's famous Liquid 4123 (which he used with Liverpool in FM19). If so, I guess @Rashidi himself would be the right person to ask advice from ;)

Its an interesting variation and you have done enough for the right flank, my only concern is the right flank and the level of support for the killer balls to be played from either the W or the Mez.  I find that for this system you will need to use a role that plays through balls in the lone forward position. You will also need Mez/W/RPM to have killer balls on them. Its a good variation and with the right players you should do very well. The old liquid system still works, in its original roles and if used with a IW/IF combination which is my preference. 

In that case my IWB is on support and the other IWB is on defend duty. However, playing on an attacking mentality is something I avoid because the two central defenders can split too easily.

For now though I would focus on getting the right traits on the players mentioned because traits was a big reason why Liquid worked the way it did.

Thanks @Rashidi, I will have a go with changing the mentality down to Positive, using a DLF(s) and changing the wings slightly and seeing whether both as IW or with one as an IF brings better chances. I have started training to develop the required attributes but still a bit more time needed with them.

I haven't tried it yet but will using an AP(S) instead of a RPM change much in how the tactic works? I assume it may lose a little bit of the fluidity.

Out of interest have you tried a 4231 with FM20?