Simulated Frustration

This game is pure simulated frustration.

The frustration is all one way. Last minute goals conceded, endless missed chances, players giving the ball away in the most unlikely circumstances, my keeper getting tackled after he held onto the ball for it seems like an age. I never get to experience these things. It's only my players who make endless mistakes or who have all the bad luck. 

It's boring. 3:2 up, I know there's going to be a last minute dramatic equaliser. If I'm a goal down the clock will just run down without incident. There's no chance of me getting a last minute goals. That would bring joy. And these is a joyless game. It's simulated frustration. 

I am well ahead of my targets. I won the title in my second season. I'm not going to win the title this but I'm comfortably in the Champions League.

The issue is not the defeats. It's the manner of the defeats. When my players make endless mistakes then I cannot pinpoint a tactical issue. What tactic tells my keeper not to stand with the ball for 10 minutes to allow himself be tackled?

It's not even the tackled keeper that's the issue. It's just in real life when keepers get tackled - those 1/1,000 moments - they happen in a split second. A short back pass or miss-control. The keeper doesn't stand with the ball for 10 minutes and get tackled. That just looks crap and causes frustration. 

In real life players give the ball away which start counter attacks. But they don't just throw the ball directly to the opposition player. Why does every cut scene start with my attack - oh isn't this going to be exciting? - then a random pass to an opposition where the player turns around and passes it straight to their attacker. It just looks terrible. I get it. You want to tell the counter-attack narrative. Just do a better job of telling it. It could be a tackle from the opposition players wins the ball back and triggers a counter attack. Exciting. 

And if I'm going to lose, beat me properly. Blow me away with your slick passing. 

When I won the title I wasn't even happy. I stumbled across the line. In 3 seasons I haven't once punched the air. Air-punchability is the measure of any computer game. And this one fails measurably. If I could play FIFA I would. But I can't afford the time and I need some release from the awfulness of supporting Milan. I've managed to find a game which is more frustrating than watching Milan. That's something. 

• FrazT locked this topic