Welcome back to FM :thup: .

Getting back into the game after so many years may be a bit intimidating, I feel you.

Set up the game via Options (or "Preferences" I think it is), then take your time and familiarize yourself with every screen. Maybe take over a club that you support so you´re familiar with the players and staff. If you select "inexperienced manager" before the start, you will get some (mostly useful) tutorials covering many parts of the game. Don´t expect your first save to go as planned, just take your time to get used to everything before you start "seriously".

Maybe search for some useful basic guides on YouTube. I know that the videos of Bustthenet, etc. are extremely helpful with regard to understanding tactics/training as well as some other aspects, you might want to start out with something more basic though :) .

As you chose to go with FMT (since you posted here and mentioned the iPad), that choice will certainly help. The game is not any easier than the full version, but it is way more streamlined and less overwhelming. Feel free to ask in case of specific questions.

Edited by Jasonxx

Since you're playing the game after a long time, I'd suggest doing maybe a season or two with a biggish club so you can explore all the mechanics in the game and this will help you on more challenging saves. A few tips otherwise:

• Go through your staff, check if they have the important attributes for their role, else look to replace them immediately. Of course, all this is relative to your club, there might not be much scope for improvement for a lower league club. Best way to go about this is to place an advert in the job centre for the position and see if the applicants are significantly better than your present incumbent before replacing them.
  • Have a look at your squad, your best players, adjust the squad statuses accordingly so you don't have 15 players expecting to be regular starters and the like.
  • Formulate a simple tactic based on the players you have. You could of course use the pre-sets if you so wish but I always prefer starting with a clean slate and at most 5-6 instructions.
  • Make sure your player roles are well balanced. For example, if you're playing 2 strikers, don't have them both as AF-A. Play one in a more supportive role.
  • Pre-season is important! Arrange friendlies and experiment to see what tactics work for you.