Preset Tactics

How effective are preset tactics? I've been considering starting a save using just the preset tactics, un-altered. I'm thinking in theory they must work, otherwise SI wouldn't include them in the game? Surely if they're used under the right circumstances then you'd have success. For example using control possession preset against a counter attacking opposition? Gegen against a possession based system etc...

To be honest, if this was the case, the game would be a bit pointless?

Its like, whats the point in turning all the driving aids off on a driving game, if I can go quicker with them all turned on? Surely the point is NOT using the preset tactics should mean you can make gains that you cant achieve with the pre sets?

We tested them on FM Base just to see how they perform really, and they weren't ideal. Does feel they are meant to be more tweaked and altered dependant on the opposition compared to other tactics around. Excuse the pun, but they are certainly more suited to a base of a better tactic then using one of them constantly.

I’m not particularly tactically minded and usually have to rely on popular tactics from knap etc.

I’ve used the wing play preset with roles to suit my players and gained promotion with Ipswich in league one. Although I guess they have a stronger squad than most in the division so a fairly basic system would do the job anyway. But as soon as I’m back in the championship it obviously becomes more challenging and I don’t particularly want to use wing play anymore.

It’s difficult to escape the mindset of wanting/expecting to win every match and accepting that you’re going to lose more games in a tougher division.

After all it’s just a game and I just want to have fun playing. Frustration does tend to take hold of me when developing my own system so that’s why I wondered about the presets. 

I may as well stick with tried and tested tactics from knap etc.