Playing with the current 1-1 issues?

Anyone got any tips with the current 1-1 issues, forwards are missing 2-3 clear cut chances every game, granted I play 4-4-2 and with a advanced forward. I am doing fairly well with Crewe made it to the Championship just annoying watching the Match Engine at the moment.

20 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Post a screenshot of your tactic please, because otherwise it's virtually impossible to give you any meaningful advice. The information that you play a 442 with an AF is irrelevant without the rest of the tactic.

my head is gonna get cut off by some experts here but I don't think it's matter of tactic. No matter if I have Griezmann, Lautaro Martinez, Luis Suarez, Roberto Firmino or Ronaldo or am I playing against Manchester United in CL final or against Girona in La Liga. Everybody miss tons of 1 on 1 when there is direct pass behind defenders and striker isn't offside and ends up 1v1 I can close my eyes and tell there won't be goal, no matter which team I play or who is the striker and who is the goalkeeper.

I agree radenje I have played a lot through the holidays and the one on ones is getting ridiculous 

Im very tempted to do a test save with a big club just to see if I’m right or not 

I think fm is a fantastic game and have played it for years but this match engine is definitely not the greatest 

1 hour ago, Ciderarmy said:

I agree radenje I have played a lot through the holidays and the one on ones is getting ridiculous 

Im very tempted to do a test save with a big club just to see if I’m right or not 

I think fm is a fantastic game and have played it for years but this match engine is definitely not the greatest 

I don't think there is need for you to test it, I already played with Barcelona. I had Suarez, Griezmann and Lautaro Martinez, none of them able to score a goal from 1 on 1 situation. Manchester United also had some sick spanish regen and whenever he ended up 1v1 against my keeper I could just close my eyes or eat a sandwich 

I am playing with an AML and AMR with cross from byline instructions and floated crosses to a lone tall target man with great jumping and heading stats. This seems to be working fine for me.

Although I'm sure this also could work in a 442 with a ML and MR with a little and large striker duo.

12 hours ago, Angus Osborne said:

I have a theory that the solution is a forward with the PM to round the keeper: but I haven't been acquired or trained one yet

Nah most the time they don't bother rounding the keeper they just shoot straight at him.

My theory is, if you drop the points consistently, you have more Problems than the 1vs1. One of which being not somewhat consistently creating chances from actual Play, as opposed to the set piece, which is (in parts) tactical, and would belong in this forum, actually.

Edited by Svenc

hello, my first post on foru, :)

anyway, i have to admit something is wrong with 1 on 1. i'm playing with Leicester, and ofc Jamie Vardy is my 1st striker. everyone who's watching PL knows that he's a beast in box, yet in fm he's wasting crazy number of 1 on 1. i don't know what exactly is decidint about it, but if real life striker, who's scoring machine, can't finish most of 1 on 1 then something i not right.

On 03/01/2020 at 23:05, thehig2 said:

Nah most the time they don't bother rounding the keeper they just shoot straight at him.

I have since tried training players to Round the Keeper, but my staff don't want to train anyone with a reasonably high Finishing attribute. I've got an MC-AP type and an AML-W type trained to do it, but haven't seen them end up 1-1 yet.

If you read the match engine bug forum you will see that this issue is aknowledged by SI and and they are working with a new patch for it. I have almost stopped playing entirely until this is fixed, as i dont enjoy the game for the first time since Championship Manager Italy in 1993 :-) 

3 hours ago, Angus Osborne said:

I have since tried training players to Round the Keeper, but my staff don't want to train anyone with a reasonably high Finishing attribute. I've got an MC-AP type and an AML-W type trained to do it, but haven't seen them end up 1-1 yet.

I used editor on an experimental save to have a look, never happend.

To be fair didn't play that many games though 

What 1v1 issues? I have Erling Haaland score 19 in 14 games in his 2nd season at Old Trafford. He scored 41 goals total in his first. At this point it is probably harder for me to make him not score.

It's all about supply and balance in roles. 

Edited by crusadertsar

8 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

What 1v1 issues? I have Erling Haaland score 19 in 14 games in his 2nd season at Old Trafford. He scored 41 goals total in his first. At this point it is probably harder for me to make him not score.

how does balance in roles/tactics etc make scoring 1v1 easier? It's just player and goalkeeper, 1v1. What does it matter if he is flase 9 or poacher or deep lying forward or complete forward if he is just 1v1 against keeper, one world class striker like Suarez or Lewandowski and one average goalkeeper and he ****s it up. It's not about his role or the tactics, it's about the game. I love how people here make this game flawless and always blame everything on tactics being unbalanced or having 3 playmakers while that's clearly not an issue. 

4 hours ago, radenje said:

how does balance in roles/tactics etc make scoring 1v1 easier? It's just player and goalkeeper, 1v1. What does it matter if he is flase 9 or poacher or deep lying forward or complete forward if he is just 1v1 against keeper, one world class striker like Suarez or Lewandowski and one average goalkeeper and he ****s it up. It's not about his role or the tactics, it's about the game. I love how people here make this game flawless and always blame everything on tactics being unbalanced or having 3 playmakers while that's clearly not an issue. 

I don't think you understand how ME and it's visual representation works. When you watch the match what you see is not necessarily what happens. It's an estimatation only. It's not like watching a real game of football. It's same when you see goalkeeper acting bizarly. It's not an error with ME. It's just the game's way to show a fumble, etc. Same with representation of goals. The only fact you can take from that is the type of goal like header, ect. Everything else has to be taken with grain of salt. 

Think of it this way. You put in your tactical input and the game calculates the results and then to make it easier for you translates it into a visual representation. Which is not really accurate. It's not like in a FIFA game.

Edited by crusadertsar

4 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

If having a world-class striker was enough, then tactics as such would be completely irrelevant, both in FM and real-life football. No managers/coaches would be needed. Because, well... you have a world-class striker :D

but in this thread we are talking about 1 on 1 situations and not about tactics etc 

29 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

I don't think you understand how ME and it's visual representation works. When you watch the match what you see is not necessarily what happens. It's an estimatation only. It's not like watching a real game of football. It's same when you see goalkeeper acting bizarly. It's not an error with ME. It's just the game's way to show a fumble, etc. Same with representation of goals. The only fact you can take from that is the type of goal like header, ect. Everything else has to be taken with grain of salt. 

Think of it this way. You put in your tactical input and the game calculates the results and then to make it easier for you translates it into a visual representation. Which is not really accurate. It's not like in a FIFA game.

idk I'm watching in 2d 

4 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

If having a world-class striker was enough, then tactics as such would be completely irrelevant, both in FM and real-life football. No managers/coaches would be needed. Because, well... you have a world-class striker :D

54 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Guys you should definitely go into poltics. :D

37 minutes ago, radenje said:

but in this thread we are talking about 1 on 1 situations and not about tactics etc

Okay, but if you believe that 1v1 situations are not a tactical issue, why are you discussing them in the Tactics section of the forum in the first place? 

13 minutes ago, Mitja said:

Guys you should definitely go into poltics. :D

Who says we already aren't? :D :lol:

13 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

I agree. I got my right inside forward to score 18 goals. Most being one on ones once we had switched play. 

19 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

no irony, please explain to me, what does my tactic and roles have to do with representation of 1 on 1? what do you mean? because i have bad roles in tactic my striker can't schoot? because i'm playing WB not Fb, my striker can't schoot? or maybe it's just representation of 1 on 1 and in real there is like 10 players around? how doeas game can take in calculation my players role and position when it's just just 1 on 1, striker schoot and GK saves? does PF shots different than CF? i just completely don't get your asrgument, makes no sense at all for me.

8 minutes ago, fmjonek said:

no irony, please explain to me, what does my tactic and roles have to do with representation of 1 on 1? what do you mean? because i have bad roles in tactic my striker can't schoot? because i'm playing WB not Fb, my striker can't schoot? or maybe it's just representation of 1 on 1 and in real there is like 10 players around? how doeas game can take in calculation my players role and position when it's just just 1 on 1, striker schoot and GK saves? does PF shots different than CF? i just completely don't get your asrgument, makes no sense at all for me.

What you see as a one-on-one when watching the game could be something completely different according to the calculations the game does under the hood. It just shows it to you as what looks as one-on-one. Under the hood the ME is accounting for numerous complicated factors such as angle of approach, field conditions, player mental attributes, etc. None of those can be visually represented. The best that the game can do is show you that it was a failed attempt and that's all i would read from it. The ME is not sophisticated enough to show a 100% accurate representation of all the action.

8 minutes ago, fmjonek said:

I think it's the ME's a bit clumsy way of saying that something within the scope of your tactic, your players and their current form/morale, the opposition etc, is sub-optimal. The ME calculates statistical scenarios based on all the numbers available in the game. Then it puts all that in a form so that the outcome will look plausible at a whole. The scoreline will over time be like 2-1 and 0-1 rather than 13-0 or 6-8. So, even if your tactic and your players get a lot of 1 on 1's in detail, the scoreline will still tend to look normal. The more detail you look at, the more it will look lika a computer game, and not real life football. We can't have it all real looking until we get real AI power working. Maybe cloud based in a couple of years?  

23 minutes ago, fmjonek said:

And roles do matter, supporting strikers will generally take more time on the ball before shooting, giving GK time to compose himself and face the shot. So what could have been a great chance turns into an easy save.

8 minutes ago, Vribo FC said:

I think it's the ME's a bit clumsy way of saying that something within the scope of your tactic, your players and their current form/morale, the opposition etc, is sub-optimal. The ME calculates statistical scenarios based on all the numbers available in the game. Then it puts all that in a form so that the outcome will look plausible at a whole. The scoreline will over time be like 2-1 and 0-1 rather than 13-0 or 6-8. So, even if your tactic and your players get a lot of 1 on 1's in detail, the scoreline will still tend to look normal. The more detail you look at, the more it will look lika a computer game, and not real life football. We can't have it all real looking until we get real AI power working. Maybe cloud based in a couple of years?  

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

2 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

And roles do matter, supporting strikers will generally take more time on the ball before shooting, giving GK time to compose himself and face the shot. So what could have been a great chance turns into an easy save.

I'm playing Vardy in best role for him so he should be scoring a lot like in real life, not wasting 5, 1 on 1 chances in row.

11 minutes ago, Vribo FC said:

what you say make sense however representing it in a way of wasted 1 on 1 is probably worst possible way of doing it. it's causing striker to play worse, in the end his rating and confidence are going down after every wasted chance.

I have experienced exactly the same problem. Right now with Roma, Dzeko is missing A LOT of 1 on 1's. I don't even get excited when he is free with the keeper. But I have had other saves, where my striker puts it behind the net about as often as it would be IRL. And with another save, my striker scored more than I would have predicted him to. I do not know what is wrong with Dzeko, or what magic had struck that other striker. But as you say, it's kind of ruining the fun. (Like the penalties..)

Edited by Vribo FC

This match engine is ridiculous at times, really is. People defending the 1v1's and saying it isn't broken, but it has to be fixed. I am playing with Leicester and Vardy will miss 5 1v1's a game and then Schemeichel will save the same amount. These come from long balls over the top that are so strangely accurate even when I try every to make my midfielders not do them myself. Game will end 1-0 either way from a set piece. 

And dont get me started on the crossing from the wide players...