"I'm not prepared to go over this topic again"

In what universe would a player react badly to being praised in real life, irrespective of how often it occurs? Surely receiving praise frequently would just be welcomed as indicative of how they are performing in training/games?

5 minutes ago, battles_atlas said:

I have to agree that I can't imagine many responding like this (Ibrahimovic totally would), but a more general annoyance at the manager coming over 4 weeks in a row to say the same thing is very plausible.

It's only the same thing because we're limited in what we can say. I can't imagine generally a player being praised weekly for doing well behaving like that. Just one of the many odd things about the game.

The purpose of the mechanic is to give you a way of getting players to work harder in training, and from what I've seen it does that - over time I get fewer bad training reports and more good ones when I use this feature. That it maxes out on individual players is to stop it being used to just constantly buff their morale. This all makes sense to me, but yes I agree the writing could be better.

It is clearly not right that when an option to praise a player comes up, you need to check the conversation history to be sure that you have not praised him too much and risk a bad reaction.  You could maybe get a neutral reaction to too much praise, but such a negative one is unrealistic.  This is a good option that needs some tuning.

Highly doubt it has been coded into the game, but, as a long term sufferer with anxiety and depression, praise makes me extremely uncomfortable and awkward...  cue the introduction of the "manic depressive" personality into fm and all hell breaks loose.. 

I do agree there is an issue, but there are also many “storytelling” ways to make this “logical”.

A player new to the club that doesn’t know you and is more suspicious of so much praise. 

They always strive for the best and don’t feel they did their best.

They are used to “hairdryer” type managers and feel you are patronizing them with all the praise. 

They don’t want their performance graded by their manager.

They feel this good praise means they must hit the same level next week and feel too much pressure.

They just generally don’t like you.

They don’t value your opinion. 

They want to have a critique of their performance, not just praise only. 

etc...

22 hours ago, majesticeternity said:

I do agree there is an issue, but there are also many “storytelling” ways to make this “logical”.

A player new to the club that doesn’t know you and is more suspicious of so much praise. 

They always strive for the best and don’t feel they did their best.

They are used to “hairdryer” type managers and feel you are patronizing them with all the praise. 

They don’t want their performance graded by their manager.

They feel this good praise means they must hit the same level next week and feel too much pressure.

They just generally don’t like you.

They don’t value your opinion. 

They want to have a critique of their performance, not just praise only. 

etc...

While I understand the general gist of your comment, it would be nice if such feelings were actually conveyed by the player. 

16 minutes ago, maxfriend said:

While I understand the general gist of your comment, it would be nice if such feelings were actually conveyed by the player. 

No kidding, I completely agree! 

It can’t take more than a few hours to add a few more responses, just like interviews...if only they’d let us edit...but oh well...

Agree, the linear and unrealistic interactions make this element of the game both a chore and an annoyance.

Similarly, I'd like to be able have my assistant manager convey my praise to all those who have trained well, whilst expecting some minor concern that their training performance didn't get them into the match day squad.

Em 10/01/2020 em 22:06, FrazT disse:

It is clearly not right that when an option to praise a player comes up, you need to check the conversation history to be sure that you have not praised him too much and risk a bad reaction.  You could maybe get a neutral reaction to too much praise, but such a negative one is unrealistic.  This is a good option that needs some tuning.

This. My framework is only one praise per month (if deserved ofc, don't mistake this for praise everyone once a month).