Avoiding The Second-Half Slump

So... you're winning well at half-time. This could be the big win that kick-starts your season. But, once again, the second-half slump kicks in and you fail to add to your first-half dominance. Subs are complacent when they come on, starting players meander along, the oppo seems to have you all figured out. The second half is almost certainly scoreless. Zzzzzz….

How do you all avoid it?
Can it be avoided?
Change tactics?
Change mentality?
Any tips?
Or is it impossible to avoid?

From what I have found is this happens due to teams seeing you as more of a threat than they once did. A combination of you keeping your players morale high and saying the right things in press conferences etc all help with handling this and players complacency aswell. Regular rotating of players also help.

Then the next big thing is the change in how your team play as teams see you as more of a threat therefor they will park the bus more often which requires you to tinker your tactics a little more to draw them out to your players so you can get space in behind them.

Very detailed answer, Morphiushell.

"Then the next big thing is the change in how your team play as teams see you as more of a threat therefor they will park the bus more often which requires you to tinker your tactics a little more to draw them out to your players so you can get space in behind them."

Does changing mentality at half-time help? If so, what mentaility would you use? We no longer have counter-attacking as a preset mentality.

24 minutes ago, PODSYMAN said:

Does changing mentality at half-time help? If so, what mentaility would you use? We no longer have counter-attacking as a preset mentality

While the mentality is a very important factor when it comes to tactics, it - like anything else - should never be considered in isolation.

There are 2 most critical things you need to know about the mentality ans its impact:

1. the mentality affects literally everything (from individual player mentalities to each single instruction, even when it's not visible in the tactical creator screen. Therefore, even the slightest mentality change (e.g. from Positive to Balanced or vice versa) can sometimes have a lot bigger (negative) effect on your tactic than you may believe (especially if the initial tactic is not particularly well balanced);

2. the mentality does not define your style of play (you can play defensive/counter-attacking football on a higher mentality or a control/possession-based style on a lower one)

If you posted a screenshot of your tactic, it would help us spot any potential issues it might contain.

I'm currently using papamogl's excellent Custom3-3-3-1.

But this is a common theme in all my years playing FM, made worse as the game gets more sophisticated.

Regardless of the tactic, the game shuts down in the second half if you're winning big at the break.

It's realistic, but I'd like to chat about the best ways of countering it within the rules.

916051877_Custom3-3-3-1.png.b9cb2b17d01c77d2e39702836f232e3d.png

29 minutes ago, PODSYMAN said:

Yes, it's a plug from papamogl.

Well, if that's a plug, I fear that only the guy who created the tactic (papamogl) can give you proper advice. Because p'n'p (exploit) tactics are not quite realistic, which means that regular tactical principles do not apply to them. 

Btw, was the tactic created specifically for this iteration of FM (I guess you are playing FM20) or an earlier one? 

I really never use p'n'p tactics, so impossible to help you (unless you decide to abandon p'n'p tactics and try to create a "normal" one instead).

Ok, but I've played this game since the year it started. I'm not young! :)And as the years have gone by there seems no doubt that the second half is harder if your team is well ahead at half-time. And it seems engineered to be that way. I understand that, and I understand why. Let's leave that there.

But I would like to chat to other posters about how they combat it, as normal coaches would IRL.

20 minutes ago, PODSYMAN said:

I would like to chat to other posters about how they combat it, as normal coaches would IRL

OK, I'll play...

First thing, you make this seem like it happens almost every match, while I rarely see it over the course of a season.

Assuming you're playing full-FM (as opposed to Touch) what are you doing with your halftime team talks? Even if we're winning by a couple of goals, I often tell my team I expect more in the second half if it's a game we're strong favourites to win.  If we're only narrowly winning I'll tell them I'm not happy.

If it's a game where we're not strong favourites but we're winning anyway I'll tell them not to get complacent.

Regardless of circumstance, if we're winning and players are doing well, I'll settle for that. Don't look for perfection when 'good' is good enough.

If a player is not playing well, and is showing complacency, I'll give him the hairdryer treatment and if that doesn't get a positive reaction I'll often sub him off (assuming I have a good alternative).

Longer term, get rid of the complacent types - they're mentally weak and will often under-perform. I don't mind 'nervous' body language, but I can't stand complacency.

Finally, FM is never "if this, do this". Circumstances change, not just from match to match but within any given match. You're the manager - manage it!

Great reply, warlock.

I play full-FM. Halftime team talks, I'm usually tough,

In FM20 if we're drawing or even winning 1-0 but playing below-par I tell them I'm not happy (I always stick to calm),
if we're losing I'm definitely not happy, I never tell them that I'm pleased.
If we're winning by 2 - which is when this kicks in - I tell them not to get complacent. It doesn't seem to work, although I always recruit strong characters.

In FM19, if 2-0 up or better, we could say that 'we had nothing specific to say'. A couple were confused maybe, but the team kicked on.
In FM20, nothing is working for me. 

I have a small checklist of things I run through in these situations:

• Winning comfortably at half-time and performing well: Say nothing at all, let the players get on with it
  • Expected to win, but playing poorly (whether we're winning or losing is irrelevant): Go with Assertive tone, tell them you're disappointed/expect more
  • Expected to win, but playing really poorly and losing: Aggressive, give them a kick up the backside
  • Not expected to win, but winning: Say nothing - things are going well, there's no need to complicate the situation
  • Not expected to win, and losing: Encourage the team, get morale back up

Complacency is a tricky one. For years, people have questioned why telling the players to not be complacent doesn't prevent complacency. As a general observation, players who are performing well tend to dislike being told they have to focus or perform better. Telling them to not get complacent is like saying you don't trust them to maintain their performance.

If you have a team that's performing above expectations, you can tell them to "prove a point". I've found this to be a reliable way of getting the whole team motivated before games and at half-time.

As for the tactics/players, you have to consider what the opposition are doing and the condition of your players. Performance naturally suffers with tiredness, so swapping out key players who are tiring for fresh ones can help keep performance levels up. If the opposition are playing more aggressively to get back into the game, you can look to exploit the space they're now leaving by changing a few TIs - Hit Early Crosses, for example, would encourage your players to play the ball earlier to the front men when the space is there. If they're playing more defensively to limit damage, the only things you can really do are brute force it by being more aggressive, or try to draw them out by dropping your defensive line and easing up on the pressing.  

When I’m expected to win I usually tell the media in the tunnel interview that the opponent is very strong and can beat us. Usually that works well against complacency. 
I also believe that the manager attributes play a very important role, as the developers told in an interview, that FM is the largest role playing game existing.

I usually chose a manager who is motivating that helps in teamtalks and is maybe more able to reach the squad.

edit: it’s not like a puzzle that one speech always fits with a result as the personalities of the players play a role as well.

Edited by HanziZoloman

If your ahead way ahead at half time I always park the bus second half and kill the game.

Start out with a lower mentality like cautoius or defensive and remove any risky instructions like overlaps, maybe change a few attacking roles to more balanced ones.

If I havnt conceeded in 20 ish minutes I take off a forward for another.midfielder or defender and put time wasting on, add be more.disciplined and just see the game out.

This normally works for me

5 hours ago, JEinchy said:

I have a small checklist of things I run through in these situations:

• Winning comfortably at half-time and performing well: Say nothing at all, let the players get on with it

As for the tactics/players, you have to consider what the opposition are doing and the condition of your players. Performance naturally suffers with tiredness, so swapping out key players who are tiring for fresh ones can help keep performance levels up. If the opposition are playing more aggressively to get back into the game, you can look to exploit the space they're now leaving by changing a few TIs - Hit Early Crosses, for example, would encourage your players to play the ball earlier to the front men when the space is there. If they're playing more defensively to limit damage, the only things you can really do are brute force it by being more aggressive, or try to draw them out by dropping your defensive line and easing up on the pressing.  

Two interesting points there, thanks.

I agree with the first one, but haven't tried the second. I will next time.