Desperate situation with Bolton

Hi guys, i'm looking for some help with my Bolton save. I'm currently in my 3rd season and we are still in League 1. The club is losing an insane amount of money due to debts re-payments to the new chairman it's around £700,000 a month and the balance is deep in the red at around 6.5million, despite this the board expected us to gain promotion to the Championship even after slashing the wage budget massively in pre-season and me having to sell my 2 best players to get within budget.

The problem is that they have slashed the wage budget AGAIN from £65k a week down to £45k a week at the start of January, and we are now 10k over the wage budget. We currently sit 3rd in the League but its incredibly tight so one result either way sees us jump to 1st or drop down to 7th.

My first question is - If we dont get promoted and I manage to stay in the job will the board still demand promotion even though the financial state of the club is getting worse and worse or is the game smart enough to realise the issues and they wont be so demanding? (I'm sure I read you can negotiate the demands but I've never been able to)

Also is it normal for Premier League teams to no longer let young players go on loan for 0 wages like in previous FM's? Almost all clubs now demand wages to be paid and we simply cant afford it.

sell the holding clause to arsenal that should keep you afloat for a while, and get rid of the murphys as their wages is just to high for that level.

And also focus on free transfers and if youre lucky maybe sell the talent from the academy for good money

1 hour ago, melogroovy said:

Ask the board for a parent club.  It will put a little money in your pocket (about 40k) and get you the free loans.

Tried that, every time I ask my useless board keep saying they cant find any suitable clubs.

Just now, emil_sbn said:

sell the holding clause to arsenal that should keep you afloat for a while, and get rid of the murphys as their wages is just to high for that level.

And also focus on free transfers and if youre lucky maybe sell the talent from the academy for good money

Sold the Holding clause in my first season and Murphy left at the end of season 1. i'm now half way through season 3 so that money has long gone.

Quick update, managed to get promotion with Bolton! Been given an £80k wage budget and £0 transfer budget. Looks like a long hard season. In terms of finances the chairman took out another loan to get us back to 0 balance so we arent 7-8 Million in the red, but unless we do something miraculous in the Championship we are just going to fall back into debt again, my only hope is that I can reach 2026 still in the job because in 2026 the main loan that takes 500k a month from the club is paid up.

1 hour ago, Stimmau5 said:

Quick update, managed to get promotion with Bolton! Been given an £80k wage budget and £0 transfer budget. Looks like a long hard season. In terms of finances the chairman took out another loan to get us back to 0 balance so we arent 7-8 Million in the red, but unless we do something miraculous in the Championship we are just going to fall back into debt again, my only hope is that I can reach 2026 still in the job because in 2026 the main loan that takes 500k a month from the club is paid up.

What expectations have they given you for the Championship based on that budget?

4 hours ago, KingCanary said:

What expectations have they given you for the Championship based on that budget?

Thankfully they are only expecting me to fight bravely against relegation.

8 hours ago, Stimmau5 said:

Congratulations on reaching the Championship! I am playing as Bolton aswell and be prepared for a grind there even thou some have been lucky to take the next step to the PL in a season or two, in my case it took a while longer. Just promoted yesterday in the 24/25 season! Now Im just waiting for the new 40k Nat Lofthouse stadium to be finished and ofcourse scratching my head a bit wondering how we are going to survive in the PL. Last season we were predicted 21st in championship...

17 hours ago, emil_sbn said:

Congratulations on reaching the Championship! I am playing as Bolton aswell and be prepared for a grind there even thou some have been lucky to take the next step to the PL in a season or two, in my case it took a while longer. Just promoted yesterday in the 24/25 season! Now Im just waiting for the new 40k Nat Lofthouse stadium to be finished and ofcourse scratching my head a bit wondering how we are going to survive in the PL. Last season we were predicted 21st in championship...

Thanks! good to see that you have stuck with the save, its really rewarding when you achieve something after years of struggling. That stadium sounds amazing.

Edited by Stimmau5

I have started FM20 as Bolton. Only in January and I think bringing in say 5-7 free Prem / Championship loans, is the way to go [ atm?? ].

I brought in 1 free transfer, but he takes wages and alot of time, to maybe make it.

Probably the only way to clear the debt, is to get to the Prem & stay there - just surviving.

GL to all.

One thing I have struggled with a bit with Bolton is Staff. I brought in David Platt & Geraldo, then Tony? Colbert for fitness, which is all good ; but

my HOYD Phillips is rubbish I think.

Because money is tight, should I replace asap [ in Jan 20 atm ] but may have to pay off ; & with who?.

Any good staff who will come to Bolton?, thanks