Brexit on next patch

They should remove the "no Brexit" option. 

It is frankly stupid it exists in the game at all. I am not saying this as a political statement, I am an EU national, it just does not fit the reality. 

From what I've read the most likely outcome is some kind of foreign player limit. The FA actually wants it at 12 players whereas the Premier League wants it unrestricted. Maybe 15/17 is a fair compromise. 

I am fairly sure that there will be no changes to the game code until the full impact of Brexit is known and exactly how it will affect transfers and work permits.  That would certainly rule out any changes in the next data update, I expect.

On 29/01/2020 at 22:26, FrazT said:

I am fairly sure that there will be no changes to the game code until the full impact of Brexit is known and exactly how it will affect transfers and work permits.  That would certainly rule out any changes in the next data update, I expect.

I understand, but I don't think the game currently has it right. 

The no-Brexit option should now be removed. Brexit has happened. The UK is no longer in the European Union. It's unrealistic to keep it in. 

We do have a pretty accurate idea of what is going on. The FA and the Premier League are at war over what should happen.  The Premier League want to keep with the current 17 foreigner, 8 HG setup whereas the FA want harsher rules, potentially as low as 12 foreigners and no foreign U18 signings (which is looking quite likely). I think the game could maybe 60/40% split between the current system, what the Premier League wants, and the proposals by the FA. 

It may be too early to speculate on the financial impact (imo there will be one) but there is definitely enough information to update the game system. 

Just now, FrazT said:

You may well be right, but given the hassle that the original decision to include it created, I personally doubt that there will be any changes till the exact details of the changes are known- that to me would be FM 21.

Yeah fair enough. I know it is difficult for the team to make a prediction on a major change in the way the English football system works, as there also may be different rules for different divisions. I still think they should remove the no-Brexit option because I get that with quite high frequency, in those cases they could change it to "There will be no change in the relation between the UK and EU", which is another possibly real life scenario (the trade deal resembles the UK's existing relationship with the EU). 

I mean you could just do a simple edit to remove them from it using the editor if you're looking to do a new file. Its pretty simple considering how few agreements exist within the game. Considering how some territories technically are "part of the EU" (like Neth Antilles and some of France's overseas departments aka territories) and the US lacks ones for its own commonwealth as well its worth doing a touch up anyhow for accuracy in the first place.

I had a little fun with it and put the UK in a "Commonwealth" Agreement in the editor (of the Anglosphere nations like UK/Australia/NZ (and their territories like Cook Islands/etc) Canada and a few others to give a nice balance to the game meta losing EU.

I also updated the US to no longer treat PR/and its other commonwealth territories as foreign (such as American Samoa, Guam Northern Marianas, and included a few of the Pacific nations like Micronesia/Kiribati and  in for fun (albeit likely no impact on the game). Admittedly I'm surprised that almost none of the nations that have agreements with other "nations" in the game to where their populations are citizens are reflected, in particular the status of the US with Puerto Rico/US Virgin Islands/Guam/Marianas. I do think Palau being missing is interesting considering the Cook Islands (who aren't even fully autonomous) are present.

Either way Brexit will hopefully give SI a reason to have someone spend a couple brief hours to update and fix those things a bit and shouldn't be too much trouble to expect they include them for next year's game for a fully accurate immersion incorporating the tiny boost it might give a country and/or its domestic leagues in the event a wunderkid or even a couple high end potential players gets autogen and pops up in them.