Who was your original FM wonderkid that you first fell in love with?

I have played since CM2 and at the time there was a Man Utd youngster called Phil Whittam who played left back and was just about good enough to be your back up for the season.

I was only 9 or 10 at the time but I remember he scored the winner against Juventus for me once and then whenever I'd start a new game, I'd always give him loads of game time and he used to perform quite well! I remember thinking he was going to be a superstar. I just checked and he never played a single game of professional football and retired after leaving Utd in the summer of '96 but he'll always be a legend to me!

For me it was Max Clauss on FM07. He played at Brommapojkarna in Sweden, the team I managed, and he was an absolute beast right from the start, essentially because he was tall and strong. He was completely incapable of kicking a football, but he kept averaging an 8 basically throughout his career with us, including winning European trophies, not in the least because my corner set-up meant he was deadly. Eventually I became Sweden manager and we very nearly won the WC with Clauss as my main CB. 

Similarly, on my Dag & Red on the same game I managed to get a Welsh regen cheap from Connah's Quay while we were in League Two. His name was Steve Whitehead, and he was similarly tall (203 cm I believe, definitely over 200) and grew into a 20-goal-a-season man in the Championship based on his heading and strength alone. 

1 minute ago, PJHoutman88 said:

For me it was Max Clauss on FM07. He played at Brommapojkarna in Sweden, the team I managed, and he was an absolute beast right from the start, essentially because he was tall and strong. He was completely incapable of kicking a football, but he kept averaging an 8 basically throughout his career with us, including winning European trophies, not in the least because my corner set-up meant he was deadly. Eventually I became Sweden manager and we very nearly won the WC with Clauss as my main CB. 

Similarly, on my Dag & Red on the same game I managed to get a Welsh regen cheap from Connah's Quay while we were in League Two. His name was Steve Whitehead, and he was similarly tall (203 cm I believe, definitely over 200) and grew into a 20-goal-a-season man in the Championship based on his heading and strength alone. 

Yeah I get nostalgic for those days as well. That was one of my all time favourite versions of FM actually. Fabrice Muamba and Javier Acuna dominating Europe with Birmingham is a save I remember.

Benoit Costil - Used to sign his on FM07 or 08 can't remember which with a bunch of other free French players, Samir Nasri and Yohan Gourcuf, I believe they came from some academy? Anyway Costil would always be good enough to stick with me for many promotion campaigns and winners medals no matter what save I was playing.

Haruna Babangida. Took me up like four divisions to the Prem, after which Man U wanted him; I said "no".

Regen-wise, I bought an 18-year-old named Fernando who was the "Brazilian Pele", and playing up front on his own, he was a one-man strikeforce, carving up Serie A for years.

These were both many, many years ago.

Edited by JohnShaft

Back in FM13, I started a journeyman save at Havant & Waterlooville. Imagine my surprise when in the first season I got a wonderkid in my intake - a CM called Phil Swift.

He ended up playing in the Premier League, both for me at Everton and later for Arsenal.

There have also been some amazing goalkeeper wonderkids through the years. Rune Almenning Jarstein was a cheap beast ages ago, and Guillermo Ochoa turned into the best gk in the world (along with Akinfeev).

However if we include regens it's difficult for me to not mention Amadou Vrillon, who I signed, as a 17 year old, from PSG for somewhere around £90m back in FM13, if I remember correctly. Best player I've ever seen on FM, in relation to other players in the same version (disregarding the Gerrards and Ibras with fourteen 20's back in the early FMs). 

This screenshot sums him up. 

7Op0dAJ.png

Back n 2002/3 maybe, I signed a wonderkid from Sporting that had been highlighted in one of the wonderkid shortlists somewhere on the net.  C Ronaldo was duly signed although to be honest I don't remember if he was successful or not and he was eventually moved on to better things.

15 minutes ago, Keyzer Soze said:

I guess it was Saviola and Aimar, both from River Plate. It was great trying to sign them at such a young age.

But, the first player i remember always signing him, was probably Daniel Fonseca, back in days of Championship Manager Italia.

Awww man.. reminds me of one of my favourite players in the fm series.. Kiki Fonseca... what a striker, in fm10 i think..

1 hour ago, Welshace said:

Awww man.. reminds me of one of my favourite players in the fm series.. Kiki Fonseca... what a striker, in fm10 i think..

Was he good in FM10? I remember that in real life he play for one season for Benfica....and it was horrible.

On 30/01/2020 at 10:37, likesiamesefish said:

I have played since CM2 and at the time there was a Man Utd youngster called Phil Whittam who played left back and was just about good enough to be your back up for the season.

I was only 9 or 10 at the time but I remember he scored the winner against Juventus for me once and then whenever I'd start a new game, I'd always give him loads of game time and he used to perform quite well! I remember thinking he was going to be a superstar. I just checked and he never played a single game of professional football and retired after leaving Utd in the summer of '96 but he'll always be a legend to me!

Henri Saivet 

how the mighty have fallen 

John Curtis in CM2 would always be released by Man Utd and sign for anyone. Many times he led us up the leagues.
O'Neill Donaldson from Sheff Wed seemed to have random attributes but in at least one save he scored 50+ goals a season for me as an F R (back when that was a position)