And suddenly strikers are dead

What happened with the latest patch? My strikers are not scoring anymore, and when I say anymore I mean it: 4 wordclass strikers, 2 of them with 0 goals (it's december!), the other two 4 each one. It's not the tactic! :(

Look at the screenshots, this is ridicolous! Every single match is the same, the patch has totally ruined my game and my team!

He is a great number 10 but he has scored 0!!! And 0 assist!

20200218173714_1.jpg

Look at him! 0 goal! He was the top league scorer of the last season!

20200218173702_1.jpg

20200218173707_1.jpg

And what about him?

20200218173654_1.jpg

Munteanu scored 150 goals for my team in 5 seasons and now he's 24 old years old but he plays like he's 50. What's wrong?

20200218173649_1.jpg

And finally here is what I get every single match:

20200218173617_1.jpg

1 ora fa, Experienced Defender ha scritto:

If you think that having world-class players per se is enough for success, I fear you are very much on the wrong track.

I don't think that of course, I play this game since championship manager 93 (yes I'm old, I know :P ).

I'm just telling you that everything was working pretty good (arrived 2nd in the league, expected 4th), but after the patch came out, my strikers died (oh and by the way I didn't change the tactic). I can't stand it, I mean it's so unrealistic.

20200218204557_1.jpg

2 minuti fa, sidslayer ha scritto:

Sry, but why are you playing Arp as a TM? Not that it should really matter but did you download this tactic?

It's not the starting eleven, I just did the screenshot of the tactic, not the players in the right spots! He plays AF of course

Just looking at your tactic i think your strikers might be a bit too isolated. The whole system looks too dependent on one of two things, either a cross to the Target Man or a through ball from the midfield. Those are both low success outcomes. Unless you have really good wingbacks and very tall (very high Jumping) and technical Targetman, most crosses will get blocked. Especially seeing how difficult they are to achieve in current ME. What you need is a strong and technical linkup supporting striker (DLF or False9) and drop deep, pick up passes from midfield and then feed the other more attacking striker. That would work much better. But then some of those Team Instructions will probably need to be reworked.

Edited by crusadertsar

3 minuti fa, crusadertsar ha scritto:

Just looking at your tactic i think your strikers might be a bit too isolated. The whole system looks too dependent on one of two things, either a cross to the Target Man or a through ball from the midfield. Those are both low success outcomes. Unless you have really good wingbacks and very tall (very high Jumping) and technical Targetman, most crosses will get blocked. Especially seeing how difficult they are to achieve in current ME. What you need is a strong and technical linkup supporting striker (DLF or False9) and drop deep, pick up passes from midfield and then feed the other more attacking striker. That would work much better. But then some of those Team Instructions will probably need to be reworked.

What would you change?

To favour a more patient build up, remove whipped crosses for one and change the wingback role on the side of mezzala into more conservative one like wingback on defence or even inverted wingback on defence. With no winger ahead of him he will actually act more like regular wingback with added advantage of sticking closer to midfield to give it more support. Also preventing their keeper from passing short instruction is pointless as you only have two forwards up front and not really built for high pressing strategy. Anyway that's what I would start with. Fewer instructions is always better.

Edited by crusadertsar

6 minuti fa, crusadertsar ha scritto:

Also probably a good idea to change the DLP into a more dynamic playmaker like RPM. But if you do that then make sure that you change BBM into a safer, non roaming role like carrilero.

Like this?

SKs

CBd Lsu CBd

IWBd MEZa RBM CAR WBs

F9 AF

Edited by sejo

Yup that could work. I'm not sure how libero will fit as honestly i dont have much experience with this role. It probably won't work as intended with another playmaker role ahead of him in the midfield. But it would be interesting to see. Perhaps you will get a good link up between the libero and the roaming playmaker.

2 hours ago, sejo said:

20200218204557_1.jpg

2 hours ago, sejo said:

I'm just telling you that everything was working pretty good (arrived 2nd in the league, expected 4th), but after the patch came out, my strikers died (oh and by the way I didn't change the tactic)

I don't know how it had worked before the patch, but I do know what is potentially wrong in this tactic regardless of any patch or ME.

First, if you want to use a libero, then you should not use a playmaker role in front of him. And you are using a DLP. So that's the first thing you need to change IMHO. 

Prevent short GK Distribution does not make (much) sense in a formation with only 2 players up front. If you played in a 4231 or 424 or 433 or at least 4141dm wide (a.k.a. 4123), then the instruction would make sense. But you are playing in a rather defensive 532 system, so I would suggest you remove it. 

Defensively, your right flank (side) is potentially pretty much vulnerable with a mezzala on attack duty, because the WB could often end up doing all the defensive work on his own. Advice: change the mezzala's duty to support. That will make you more solid defensively while still having more than enough support for your strikers. 

The biggest problem however is that your tactic looks pretty much undefined in terms of the playing style you want to implement. It's neither possession-based nor counter-attacking nor fast attacking. It's not even a hybrid between these. For example, what is the exact reason for using a TM role? Or the Be more disciplined instruction? Or the libero role by the way?

These are the questions you need to ask yourself in the first place. Once you sort that out, making a good, sensible tactic will be way easier.

29 minuti fa, Experienced Defender ha scritto:

First, if you want to use a libero, then you should not use a playmaker role in front of him. And you are using a DLP. So that's the first thing you need to change IMHO. 

My setup in defence is doing wonder: 18 games in Serie A and only 5 goals conceded, so there's no need to change libero. Which role should I give to my DLP instead?

Defensively, your right flank (side) is potentially pretty much vulnerable with a mezzala on attack duty, because the WB could often end up doing all the defensive work on his own. Advice: change the mezzala's duty to support. That will make you more solid defensively while still having more than enough support for your strikers. 

Again, the majority of the matches my team plays are very solid in defence (as I said above), and the right flank is pretty solid as well. What my team needs is to be more effective when attacking, so I'm afraid that changing the MEZ to support could get things worse.

I mean, I really appreciate your help, but this is a game, not real football. We try to do our best thinking about real life football but it's just a program with a code inside.

The biggest problem however is that your tactic looks pretty much undefined in terms of the playing style you want to implement. It's neither possession-based nor counter-attacking nor fast attacking. It's not even a hybrid between these. For example, what is the exact reason for using a TM role? Or the Be more disciplined instruction? Or the libero role by the way?

I've read a lot of posts here in the forum and everyone keeps saying to give few TI and play in a simple way, adjusting mentality. This is what I'm doing, keeping solid my defence and trying to take out the best from my team.

Thank you!

Edited by sejo

24 minutes ago, sejo said:

My setup in defence is doing wonder: 18 games in Serie A and only 5 goals conceded, so there's no need to change libero

I was not talking about the libero and playmaker (DLP) in the context of defense, but attack (i.e. when you are in possession). 

25 minutes ago, sejo said:

Which role should I give to my DLP instead?

If you want to keep the libero - which you obviously do want - then you can change the DLP into any holding/covering non-PM role, given that both other (i.e. outer) CMs are played in more mobile and roaming roles. So your DLP can, for example, be changed into a CM on defend duty or BWM on defend duty. I am speaking about this particular setup: 

3 hours ago, sejo said:

20200218204557_1.jpg

But if you have made changes/tweaks in the meantime, then I would need to see that new(est) tactic first. 

3 minuti fa, Experienced Defender ha scritto:

If you want to keep the libero - which you obviously do want - then you can change the DLP into any holding/covering non-PM role, given that both other (i.e. outer) CMs are played in more mobile and roaming roles. So your DLP can, for example, be changed into a CM on defend duty or BWM on defend duty.

Sorry but I don't understand: my team needs to be better in attacking, how changing the playmaker into a defensive role could help?

Thanks!

31 minutes ago, sejo said:

Again, the majority of the matches my team plays are very solid in defence (as I said above), and the right flank is pretty solid as well. What my team needs is to be more effective when attacking, so I'm afraid that changing the MEZ to support could get things worse

It won't makes things worse. Because that would create a better tactical balance overall. And a better balance basically leads to better performances, which in turn produces better chances and more goals.

Remember, sometimes less is more, especially when it comes to football and tactics. If you think that the attacking duty per se makes a player (or the team as a whole) more dangerous in attack and/or more likely to score goals, then you are very much in the wrong. 

I'll give you an example from my Newcastle save. I mostly played my lone striker Rondon as a TM on support duty (sometimes even PF on support), and he was my top goal-scorer nevertheless - and all his goals came from open play. And btw my tactic as a whole was considerably more conservative (defensive-minded) than yours. 

Just now, sejo said:

Sorry but I don't understand: my team needs to be better in attacking, how changing the playmaker into a defensive role could help?

Because of the balance: 

Just now, Experienced Defender said:

It won't makes things worse. Because that would create a better tactical balance overall. And a better balance basically leads to better performances, which in turn produces better chances and more goals.

Remember, sometimes less is more, especially when it comes to football and tactics. If you think that the attacking duty per se makes a player (or the team as a whole) more dangerous in attack and/or more likely to score goals, then you are very much in the wrong. 

I'll give you an example from my Newcastle save. I mostly played my lone striker Rondon as a TM on support duty (sometimes even PF on support), and he was my top goal-scorer nevertheless - and all his goals came from open play. And btw my tactic as a whole was considerably more conservative (defensive-minded) than yours

42 minutes ago, sejo said:

I mean, I really appreciate your help, but this is a game, not real football. We try to do our best thinking about real life football but it's just a program with a code inside

Well, I play FM based on real-life football, and it works nicely for me. 

Of course, you can play it in an entirely different way, trying to break that "code inside". But if so, why don't you simply download some of the myriad of exploit plug'n'play tactics from the sharing and download section of the forum? It's way much easier than trying to create a coherent and sensible tactic on your own :) 

7 minuti fa, Experienced Defender ha scritto:

Of course, you can play it in an entirely different way, trying to break that "code inside". But if so, why don't you simply download some of the myriad of exploit plug'n'play tactics from the sharing and download section of the forum? It's way much easier than trying to create a coherent and sensible tactic on your own :) 

You're right and I'm right! :) I was just trying to say that I've had a very good balance (playing in a realistic way with realistic results) and it was ruined by a patch: suddenly I lost my strikers.

What do I have now? Yes I'm top of the league but with an unrealistic style of football (my top scorers are the wbs!!). I don't want to win, I want to enjoy my time and that'w why I'm here on this forum asking for help :)

Edited by sejo

4 minutes ago, sejo said:

I don't want to win

Okay :onmehead:

5 minutes ago, sejo said:

I want to enjoy my time and that'w why I'm here on this forum asking for help :)

Hopefully someone with an approach different from mine will give you some better and useful advice for what you want to achieve :thup:

5 ore fa, Kingofcm03 ha scritto:

Ill take a wild guess, before the patch you scored "All the goals" form one on ones and through balls?

Also Murat, your Turkish forward. Hes not scoring goals for his country either, maybe hes just not very good?

As I already said, Arp was the top goal scorer of Serie A, Munteanu scored 150 goals for my team, Murat scored 10 with 10 assists. Should I give you more infos?

11 ore fa, Experienced Defender ha scritto:

Hopefully someone with an approach different from mine will give you some better and useful advice for what you want to achieve :thup:

I'll follow your advice :)

Which shape and roles would you use if I change tactic like this:

GK

CD CD CD

WB CM CM WB

W                 w

FW

I don't have a true winger in my team (due to the 532 I wanted to use) but I have very good playmakers (and strikers... sigh). I would like to play also with 442 diamond but I feel the ME would kill it because of the weak play on the flanks.

Edited by sejo

I would like to add my humble opinion.

I think you are trying to fit your players to this system instead of trying to find a system to fit your current squad. Square pegs in round holes.

this formation is fine against 4-4-2 but up against 4-2-3-1 it starts to fall apart slightly,as nobody is picking up a/m/c.

if I chose this formation I'd play this.

s/k (support if poss)

c/d or b/p/d def. b/p/d (cover) or libero (if good enough). c/d or b/p/d def.      

w/b of f/b att (cross from byline)           b/b/m              d/l/p.support/defend                               same as.

i/w                                                                                                            i/w

a/f att       

This is only based on screen-shot info,(which for some reason is really small).

w/b's offer width as your i/w's play narrow anyway.

b/b/m covers everything his side.(d/l/p and b/b/m interchangeable depending on foot). 

I also have defenders that can play d/m and can move up to make  4/1/2/3 flat back four using either h/b,or d/l/p depending on oppo's formation.

11 hours ago, jc577 said:

@Experienced Defender If you were to use a MEZ in a 532, would you play him behind the support or attack duty striker, generally speaking? 

In a 532 specifically, I would play a mezzala exclusively on support duty and behind the attack-duty striker (assuming only one striker is on attack duty). If both strikers are on attack duty, then my mezzala would be played behind the non-creator one (e.g. AF, poacher, PF on attack).

6 hours ago, sejo said:

As I already said, Arp was the top goal scorer of Serie A, Munteanu scored 150 goals for my team, Murat scored 10 with 10 assists. Should I give you more infos?

I'll follow your advice :)

Which shape and roles would you use if I change tactic like this:

GK

CD CD CD

WB CM CM WB

W                 w

FW

I don't have a true winger in my team (due to the 532 I wanted to use) but I have very good playmakers (and strikers... sigh). I would like to play also with 442 diamond but I feel the ME would kill it because of the weak play on the flanks.

Wait a minute... you sad you don't have a "true winger", but now you want to use a formation with wingers (541 wide). So I am a bit confused :idiot:

Btw, you don't necessarily need to change your original 532 formation. You just need to set up the tactic in a more sensible manner. That was my point from previous posts.

3 minuti fa, Experienced Defender ha scritto:

Wait a minute... you sad you don't have a "true winger", but now you want to use a formation with wingers (541 wide). So I am a bit confused :idiot:

I'm not stuck on the 532, I'm just trying to find the best set up

54 minutes ago, sejo said:

Take it back to basics then - what are your squad's strengths and weaknesses and what style of play do you want to play, that suits your squad? 

The article I wrote in this guide at the back explains how I analyse a squad and pick a style - blow by blow of how I do it and what my thinking is - might help.

1 hour ago, sejo said:

Okay, let's cut this long story short. I'll now give you an example of how I would set up each the 532 and 541 on the assumption that you manage a strong team with good players that can successfully play a number of demanding roles.

The 532 example:

F9       AF

DLPsu    CMde   MEZsu

CWBat                                    WBsu

CDde   CDco  BPDde

SKsu

Team instructions:

Mentality - Positive

In possession - play out of defence, shorter passing, run at defence, work ball into box, be more expressive

In transition - nothing (only sometimes counter-press)

Out of possession - higher DL and standard LOE

Player instructions - both strikers and mezzala to close down more

The 541 example:

DLFat

IFsu                                      Wat

DLPsu   MEZsu

WBat                               IWBde

CDde  CDst  BPDde

SKsu

Team instructions - same as in the first tactic + overlap right + counter-press

Player instructions - the striker and mezzala to close down more

NOTE: You can take these examples as an idea when creating your tactic if you want. but you don't necessarily have to literally copy-paste them. Or you can completely ignore what I proposed and set up your tactic in an entirely different way. It's solely up to you :thup:

And of course, you can ask me any questions you may have in relation to the tactics I proposed above.

33 minutes ago, sejo said:

Can I know when?

You need to watch matches and see when it makes sense and when it can be too risky. I watch my matches and then make decisions based on what I see on the pitch. 

34 minutes ago, sejo said:

And why you don't thick offside trap?

I did not selected offside trap in the 1st tactic because one CB is on cover duty.

But in the 2nd tactic offside trap can be used.

2 minuti fa, Experienced Defender ha scritto:

You need to watch matches and see when it makes sense and when it can be too risky. I watch my matches and then make decisions based on what I see on the pitch. 

Thanks for that! What does it make you choose to use it or not? I mean, is there something special?

15 minutes ago, sejo said:

Thanks for that! What does it make you choose to use it or not? I mean, is there something special?

Counter-press is an inherently risky instruction, so it should generally be used with caution. I use it only when I manage a top team, but even then I do not use it all the time and/or in every single match. 

There are two basic factors when it comes to counter-press:

- are your players good enough - physically and mentally - to execute it safely and effectively

- is your team sufficiently better/stronger than the opposition, so that counter-press would not do more harm than good

I also tend to avoid c-press when I play in a narrow formation (like your 532 for example), because the opposition can beat the counter-press via your flanks, because these are inherently more vulnerable in narrow systems.

A principle that you should follow when it comes not only to the counter-press but also any other instruction or role/duty - do not demand from your players more than they are capable of.

13 minuti fa, Experienced Defender ha scritto:

I also tend to avoid c-press when I play in a narrow formation (like your 532 for example), because the opposition can beat the counter-press via your flanks, because these are inherently more vulnerable in narrow systems.

Thank you so much for this!

13 minuti fa, Experienced Defender ha scritto:

- are your players good enough - physically and mentally - to execute it safely and effectively

Another question for you, sorry mate: what do you mean with mentally? Thanks!

1 hour ago, sejo said:

Another question for you, sorry mate: what do you mean with mentally? Thanks!

Good mental attributes for pressing - teamwork, work rate, aggression the primary ones, but determination, decisions are useful too

1 hour ago, sejo said:

Another question for you, sorry mate: what do you mean with mentally?

mental attributes - anticipation, decisions, positioning, work rate, teamwork, concentration... 

Basically what Llama wrote: 

43 minutes ago, llama3 said:

Good mental attributes for pressing - teamwork, work rate, aggression the primary ones, but determination, decisions are useful too

:thup:

22 ore fa, Experienced Defender ha scritto:

The 532 example:

F9       AF

DLPsu    CMde   MEZsu

CWBat                                    WBsu

CDde   CDco  BPDde

SKsu

First of all I wanna thank you everyone for helping me, I really appreciate it.

Then: is there a reason why you have the DPL on the flank and not in the center of the midfield? Can I swap position or you think I'll ruin the balance?

24 minutes ago, sejo said:

Then: is there a reason why you have the DPL on the flank and not in the center of the midfield?

He is not on the flank (and DLP cannot play on a flank anyway). He is in a central midfield position, albeit an outer one.

I guess you wanted to ask why he is not in the "epicenter" of the midfield - in place of the CM on defend? 

30 minutes ago, sejo said:

Can I swap position or you think I'll ruin the balance?

Of course you can. Like this for example:

F9        AF

CAR     DLPde    MEZsu

(C)WBat                                      WBsu

You may even try the DLP on support duty, but if you notice you are getting too exposed defensively - just change him back to defend.

On 18/02/2020 at 19:46, sejo said:

I don't think that of course, I play this game since championship manager 93 (yes I'm old, I know :P ).

I'm just telling you that everything was working pretty good (arrived 2nd in the league, expected 4th), but after the patch came out, my strikers died (oh and by the way I didn't change the tactic). I can't stand it, I mean it's so unrealistic.

20200218204557_1.jpg

My take on it is that’s just how it goes. People are trying to pick apart the tactic but if it’s worked one season fine then there’s obviously not much wrong with it. Look, we know in this particular fm there are issues with the finishing of strikers and I think that’s just all this is down too. Strikers can be inconsistent in real life bar the top tier pool of strikers and I think the game just reflects that. I generally play lower league and my strikers are bonkers. One season they can hit 30 league goals, the next they’ll struggle to get half of that. It even happens during the season. So yeah, I think it’s just something to accept, use different strikers, get your midfielders shooting from distance more but I personally wouldn’t change the entire face of the tactic. Eventually your strikers will start scoring again. 

I’ve personally tried to negate this by always playing two strikers and is say it’s worked. If one doesn’t score the other will. But that would obviously mean changing your system. 

You keep harping on this in everyone else's thread, but I don't want to further hijack by responding in their threads, so posting here...

I'm not seeing this "striker problem" you keep insisting the latest ME update created. I'm finding players are taking entirely too long to make decisions (at times), whether that's crossing, passing, or shooting, producing a fairly insane amount of blocks. I think they were largely non-existent (on shots) before, so there was probably an over correction. About halfway through my season, all three of my strikers (Muriel, Zapata, Balotelli) are in double figures (across comps) with Muriel only behind Ronaldo in Serie A (on minutes played). They've taken one PK between them. Balotelli might have scored one from a FK early in the year, but can't recall for sure if it was him, or someone else. 

This ME certainly has its flaws, like every ME before or yet to come, but I don't think "strikers are broken."

13 ore fa, XuluBak ha scritto:

This ME certainly has its flaws, like every ME before or yet to come, but I don't think "strikers are broken."

I truly appreciate your interest, but the forum is plenty of people complaining about strikers behaviour. Are we all dumb? After playing this game since the CM 94 edition, I don't think so, but I could be wrong of course, I'm not that genius.

But the evidence is that after the last patch, in the middle of my save, my strikers performances have simply dropped down: if you've read this topic, you know that my top goal scorer, the one who scored the most in Serie A, the next season, with the same tactic and same players, scored 6 goals (without any injuries). SIX!

Now I've bought a world class striker, one of the greatest in my save: 26 games, 6 goals. Coincidence?

So the point is: don't pretend that everything is due to the tactic, let's discuss about it, let's exchange our impressions, so if we are lucky SI could solve it with the next update.

Sorry if I seemed rude, I didn't meant to at all. Cheers!

15 hours ago, XuluBak said:

I think Strikers are fine, it just depends on the player. My striker has been the to scorer in my team for like 5 seasons and yet I have a striker that seems fine attribute wise but can't finish and I'm still trying to figure out why 

5 hours ago, sejo said:

I truly appreciate your interest, but the forum is plenty of people complaining about strikers behaviour. Are we all dumb? After playing this game since the CM 94 edition, I don't think so, but I could be wrong of course, I'm not that genius.

But the evidence is that after the last patch, in the middle of my save, my strikers performances have simply dropped down: if you've read this topic, you know that my top goal scorer, the one who scored the most in Serie A, the next season, with the same tactic and same players, scored 6 goals (without any injuries). SIX!

Now I've bought a world class striker, one of the greatest in my save: 26 games, 6 goals. Coincidence?

So the point is: don't pretend that everything is due to the tactic, let's discuss about it, let's exchange our impressions, so if we are lucky SI could solve it with the next update.

Sorry if I seemed rude, I didn't meant to at all. Cheers!

No, I just think it's confirmation bias. Some people are having trouble with their strikers scoring goals and asking for tactical advice, which was happening before the latest ME update, and you're going to their threads and repeating "strikers are broken" instead of offering tactical advice. If the ME update "broke strikers" then  everyone's strikers would be "broken," but that's not the case. You keep pointing to your "world class strikers" as the crux of your argument, but of the four, Munteanu is the only one you could say has been prolific over his career. Arp had 26 goals last year? He's 27 with 60 career goals; it seems last year was the outlier, not this year. Zirkzee and Munteanu are scoring, maybe not as well as last year, but teams are probably playing more defensively against you, making it harder for them to get in behind for easy goals. You listed your tactic with a TM and AF, but all three look like AFs, so I can't help wondering if they're not finding a run of good form because of over rotation. 

It sounds like you're using Ciftci  as a #10? Well, that's a different argument entirely. One could argue #10s have been underperforming since FM20 beta; alternatively, one could argue #10s are a dying breed for a reason and the ME reflects that. 

Edited by XuluBak

1 ora fa, XuluBak ha scritto:

You listed your tactic with a TM and AF, but all three look like AFs

Clearly you haven't read my other posts.

Arp had 26 goals last year? He's 27 with 60 career goals; it seems last year was the outlier, not this year

Is this your explanation? From 26 to 6? C'mon!

It sounds like you're using Ciftci  as a #10?

Who?

you're going to their threads and repeating "strikers are broken" instead of offering tactical advice. If the ME update "broke strikers" then  everyone's strikers would be "broken," but that's not the case. You keep pointing to your "world class strikers" as the crux of your argument

Ok, thanks anyway!

Edited by sejo