Conference North - Blyth Spartans

Hey, massively over achieved in my first season finishing in the play offs but my form fell off a cliff in the final 3rd of the season, if it continues into season 2 I will be looking at relegation form. Im writing off my current tactic as it must not have been good enough as massive dip in form has coincided with the latest update 

I have a very limited target man and a decent AF / PF. 2 more defensive minded midfielders and a decent to average back 4. My best 2 players are my right and left wingers who can both play either side

Any ideas on a 4-4-2 with a target man type player and wide men for a side most likely predicted to finish bottom 8

2 hours ago, Nozzer said:

I have a very limited target man and a decent AF / PF. 2 more defensive minded midfielders and a decent to average back 4. My best 2 players are my right and left wingers who can both play either side

Any ideas on a 4-4-2 with a target man type player and wide men for a side most likely predicted to finish bottom 8

I don't know your team, but based on your description of players and the fact that you play in a lower league, maybe something like this might work (at least as a starting point to build around):

TMat    PFat

IWsu     CMde   CMsu    W(M)su

FBat    CDde   NCBde     FBsu

GK/SKde

You can start with the Balanced mentality and no instructions and then make small gradual tweaks as you see fit until you get what you want in terms of playing style and performance.

Basically, in lower leagues it's best to keep the tactic as simple as possible. Although I personally prefer fairly simple tactics even in top leagues :brock:

8 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I don't know your team, but based on your description of players and the fact that you play in a lower league, maybe something like this might work (at least as a starting point to build around):

TMat    PFat

IWsu     CMde   CMsu    W(M)su

FBat    CDde   NCBde     FBsu

GK/SKde

You can start with the Balanced mentality and no instructions and then make small gradual tweaks as you see fit until you get what you want in terms of playing style and performance.

Basically, in lower leagues it's best to keep the tactic as simple as possible. Although I personally prefer fairly simple tactics even in top leagues :brock:

Thanks for the help, all looks logical. Couple of things though, do you think it would work with an IW and normal winger with maybe deeper central midfielders? Asking as my 2 wingers have good attacking attributes so i want to set up to get the best out of them

Also with the target man in attack leading the line?  Current target man can jump, head, is strong and hard working but thats pretty much all he can do ha

I have been playing with Spartans half a season now. I have made som strong results with inverted wingbacks on support on both sides in a 4-4-2. Counter press and attack. Attacking mentality, high LOE, standard defense line. Won back to back manager of the month in march and april. 

6 hours ago, Nozzer said:

Couple of things though, do you think it would work with an IW and normal winger with maybe deeper central midfielders? Asking as my 2 wingers have good attacking attributes so i want to set up to get the best out of them

What exactly do you mean by "deeper CMs"? Both CMs in holding roles or moving them to DM area (4222 wide)? 

15 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

9 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

What exactly do you mean by "deeper CMs"? Both CMs in holding roles or moving them to DM area (4222 wide)? 

4222 wide as i feel that will protect the defence better, 1 defending and 1 supporting role (although not sure what) 

1 hour ago, Nozzer said:

4222 wide as i feel that will protect the defence better, 1 defending and 1 supporting role (although not sure what)

Maybe something like this:

TMsu    PFat

IWat                               Wsu

DMde   DMsu

WBsu  CDde   NCBde   FBsu

GK/SKde

57 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Maybe something like this:

TMsu    PFat

IWat                               Wsu

DMde   DMsu

WBsu  CDde   NCBde   FBsu

GK/SKde

I like the look of that, just played a game away from home and drew 1-1 and added the following TI's

- Lower line of engagement so we have a little more space to break into when winning the ball

- Play for set pieces although I'm unsure on this as we have a poor record when it comes to set play goals

- Shorter passing to try and balance out the number of long balls up to the target man

I've added cross to TM to the LB (WB) and cross from deep and cross to TM to the RB

10 minutes ago, Nozzer said:

Lower line of engagement so we have a little more space to break into when winning the ball

Not only that, but the lower LOE also improves your compactness (assuming the D-line has remained standard). 

If you want to use the lower LOE to encourage more counter-attacks by drawing the opposition onto you, then you can swap the duties of TM and IW - TM on attack and IW on support - so that both your strikers would look to attack space behind opposition lines as early as possible when you win the ball back and launch a counter. 

14 minutes ago, Nozzer said:

Play for set pieces although I'm unsure on this as we have a poor record when it comes to set play goals

Play for set pieces makes sense in 2 cases:

- if you have good set-piece takers and aerially powerful players that can take advantage of these dead-ball situations

- as a time-wasting tool in the closing stage of a match (when you are pleased with the result and just want to see the game out) 

27 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Not only that, but the lower LOE also improves your compactness (assuming the D-line has remained standard). 

If you want to use the lower LOE to encourage more counter-attacks by drawing the opposition onto you, then you can swap the duties of TM and IW - TM on attack and IW on support - so that both your strikers would look to attack space behind opposition lines as early as possible when you win the ball back and launch a counter. 

Play for set pieces makes sense in 2 cases:

- if you have good set-piece takers and aerially powerful players that can take advantage of these dead-ball situations

- as a time-wasting tool in the closing stage of a match (when you are pleased with the result and just want to see the game out) 

3 games since tactical change and I've won, drawn and lost although quite happy with performances in all 3 games.  I've noticed 2 things I would like to address

- Playing with 2 DMs looks to be inviting too much pressure onto us and I'm not picking up enough 2nd balls as they are both deep

-  I could do with a player to help me keep the ball a little better

Potential answers to this are changing the right sided DM into a BWM(s) or moving the right sided DM into CM and playing him as a DLP

1 hour ago, Nozzer said:

Playing with 2 DMs looks to be inviting too much pressure onto us and I'm not picking up enough 2nd balls as they are both deep

There is a formation (also variant of 442) that I like to use when I manage weaker teams - the 4132 wide. Maybe that one will work better for you. 

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 20:31, Experienced Defender said:

There is a formation (also variant of 442) that I like to use when I manage weaker teams - the 4132 wide. Maybe that one will work better for you. 

After noticing the 2nd balls / CMs being too deep I changed to 4132 wide with a BWM ahead of a DM(D), no other changes to TIs or PIs (although I do occasionally turn on counter and counter press when chasing a goal) and I'm now top of the league, 12 unbeaten and haven't conceded a goal in the last 6 games.  Tactical setup is pretty much exactly how I want it now.  Thanks for the feedback, putting my own ideas across then looking at / actioning your feedback has lead me to something I'm very happy with

As I type this I've gone 2-0 down within 15 mins at home to Braintree haha