What would you do?

What would you do?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Stay
    • Resign

Hi guys,

I am in a predicament...

Started unemployed (no exp. and no badges) and holidayed to "today" (which was January 3rd 2020).  Eventually got offered a job at relegation threatened Viterbese in Serie C, Italy.  I managed to get them out of danger and sneak into the last Play-Off place, but I got hammered in the first round anyway.

Got some good Serie C players on free transfers in the summer of 2020, and we were expected to finish in a Play-Off place (Media Prediction 6th), but ended up winning the league on the last day, and therefore promotion.  Also got to the Serie C Cup final (Got beat).  Incredible season.

Got a couple of players in the summer of 2021, but I had already given my better players contract extensions before the end of the season, so I thought I would let most of them have a go at Serie B, even with Media Prediction of dead last.  We started well, with a couple of draws and a couple of wins, but since then we have been so unlucky; dominating games with possession and shots but losing games to unbelievable finishes and set pieces (which we train to defend every week).  I am in January 2022, 17th in the league and in the relegation zone.  The teams around me are picking up wins, and we can’t even buy a corner at the moment!

In reality, we shouldn’t be in Serie B.  We are £2m in debt, and losing about £150k per month.  My contract is up at the end of season so, unless we perform a miracle, I am probably not getting an extension.

Do I stay with them expecting to get a relegation on my record (not sure how much this affects reputation or future jobs) or do I get out before we go down?  What would you do?

Edited by Anthony Kenna
Wrong year typo

Got to stay (unless you get offered a job before the end of the season) and finish the season even if it means relegation. The only things i've found with having a relegation on your record is that you get asked about it at job interviews which you just pick the 'we were expected to go down' option. 

You got to go through the lows to appriciate the highs when your winning champions leagues later down the line.

Don't you know
You've gone too far now
Just to go
And try to throw it all away
Thought I heard you say
You love them
That your love was gonna be here to stay
They've only just begun
To know you
All I can say is
Won't you stay just one more half season

3 hours ago, deaks500 said:

Don't you know
You've gone too far now
Just to go
And try to throw it all away
Thought I heard you say
You love them
That your love was gonna be here to stay
They've only just begun
To know you
All I can say is
Won't you stay just one more half season

This was the push I needed...

I can hear the Viterbese faithful singing that from the home end now. In Italian obviously.

We fight on. 

10 games to go and 4 points from safety (effectively 5 because team above us have a better head to head) but I am already planning for a rebuild job to get straight back up. That is depending on the board offering me a new contract if we go down.

I just can't believe how unlucky we have been though. We have never been battered. Ok we got beat 4-1 twice by teams who are paying single players more than my entire wage budget, but we have never been out of a game. Most games are lost to outstanding goals and set pieces.

In the last game we were winning 1-0 away until the 75th minute and they score 2 goals in 2 minutes. 1 from a through ball with the precision of a NASA guided space shuttle (in the Italian second division!!), and another from a double rebound after a great save that just fell to their attackers feet. Honestly don't know how to change pure bad luck, and being on the wrong end of world class finishes from below average players.

Got relegated in 18th. 12 points separated us from 17th but the bad luck continued.

Lost games in the last minutes to set pieces and world class goals.

Got a new contract so we go again next season for a quick rebound.

Up the Viterbese. #ConLaForzaDelLeone