Lennons - IMAGINE

Imagine you were a Football Manager, it is easy if you try... well now you can with a little HELP! from your friends.

DEFENCE - MIDFIELD - ATTACK

To make a tactic successful you need to link the defence, midfield and attack.

I found getting the Attack combination the hardest to get right and if you don't the Defence and Midfield don't matter.

***DEFENCE***

WB (ATT)  - CD (STO) - BPD (COV) - CD (STO) - WB (SUP)

The idea is because we use WB's that push up we play a 3 defenders. The theory is...

If teams attack head on you have 3 defenders with one dropping back to prevent through balls,

If the opposition attack from the wings, your WB is your first line of defence. If he is breached the STOPPER will move wide to stop the threat leaving 2 defenders to defend any balls in. This works same on either side.

The BPD is to wait until your WB's get in postion then to feed them rather the GK using them to early.

Do NOT change the GK to a Sweeper Keeper. The BPD drops back to do that job so they would both go for the same balls.

The reason for one WB being Attack and the other on Support is when attacking you push forward at different angels meaning it offers a different approach. 

With FM 20 if you use the same approach it will no longer be effective once they suss it out. 

*** MIDFIELD ***

Although this is crucial it is much more simple to get it to work.

The job of the MIDFIELD is to link the team from Defence to Attack.

By having one man on defend duty and one on support it will do this.

I use DLP (DEF) and CM (SUP)

The DLP will protect the defence when the opposing have possession and the CM will be the link to Supporting the ATTACK.

The WB's will both offer Support and Attack

*** ATTACK ***

This was the hardest to get right as there are so many different combinations possible.

When building a Attack it is important to offer different ways of being a threat. If you play a front 2 of any combination it can become one dimensional once it is sussed because your 2 stay in the same sort of positions.

So to play a Shadow Striker, Advanced Forward and a Deep Lying Forward gives you a great variation of Attacking build ups and makes it very difficult to defend against both short term and long term.

In FM 20 a player in the Attack Midfield position on Attack duty is as far forward as a Forward on Support Duty. So using a Shadow Striker you could use a AM or forward player. 

I have created 2 tactics which are very similar, the only difference in Defence is the WB's are opposite on each tactic (this in itself offers you to switch to a different approach quickly and easily). 

In Midfield the DEF and SUPP is their but in a different way. 

In Attack we try a different approach although very similar so it is easy to switch.

*** The 2 TACTICS ***

There is no Home or Away version, you can simply mix them as you wish. I find it best to switch them each game and even during the game sometimes as it changes your approach. 

Try looking from your opponents viewpoint. Would they rather play against a team who has a rigid approach where you know what they are going to do or against someone who can change there approach at any time?

*** MENTALITY ***

I have mostly used Balanced and Positive switching between the two regularly. Attacking used rarely. Your gut feeling tells you you need to change if you have not scored.

Although i think most players will work if starting a new game try to bring players in that suit the POSITIONS. Wing Backs are important and is the AM/Forwards. Try to bring in players gradually, not too many at once or it will take longer to settle down.

formation.thumb.png.02b0a7d125ed9a7fe0e4d83a59b82094.pngform2.thumb.png.3a8b88c326b2c9f01641e6d153ff0e50.pngtable.thumb.png.26dbdfe780b0e6cba02427389a525798.png 

Edited by andysafc

In this FA Cup 3rd Round Replay away to Millwall...

Cup.thumb.png.69944f571e49a1b4e8ee2181b283d4ed.png

Millwall were the better team, but i used the V10 up to half time, it was 0-0, switched to V11 for the 2nd half. The tactic defended very good and scored 2 goals to get through to the next round. It is a plug and play tactic if you have the two versions set up, a simply switch every now and then is all the tweaks you need.

When I made this tactic I used Welling as work in progress, they are expected to finish in the Play offs in the Vanarama South. I had the defence and midfield right but was struggling to score, as I tried different combinations we dropped into the bottom 3. Morale amongst the players was bad. I finally settled on the tactics and stuck with those 2. We moved up the table and are currently in the top 6. Got to the FA Cup 3rd round and drew at home to Fleetwood, should have won! Lost the replay but I still think that was good to get that far. Currently in February and confident we will get promoted. Most players are bog standard non league players and yet several are performing really good. 
I hope it is not just me.... please give your feedback.

As the season went on we hit a patch were we struggled to score. This is when your opponents play ultra defensive against you. Now i would have thought you would play attacking mentality with more width, this does not necessarily work in FM 2020. Strangely more effective was using a Cautious or Defensive. Playing defensively against a team near the bottom of the League??? But this is a game and you have to do what works.

table.thumb.png.cefdcfa7b0a12e521bda33e12e045826.png 

On 27/02/2020 at 11:10, andysafc said:

As the season went on we hit a patch were we struggled to score. This is when your opponents play ultra defensive against you. Now i would have thought you would play attacking mentality with more width, this does not necessarily work in FM 2020. Strangely more effective was using a Cautious or Defensive. Playing defensively against a team near the bottom of the League??? But this is a game and you have to do what works.

table.thumb.png.cefdcfa7b0a12e521bda33e12e045826.png 

makes sense, sometimes you need to draw the opponent out of their shell. Thats why i usually play on balanced because it doesnt commit too many men forward or too many men behind, and allows us to accomplish both

7 hours ago, BasedDarrenMoore said:

makes sense, sometimes you need to draw the opponent out of their shell. Thats why i usually play on balanced because it doesnt commit too many men forward or too many men behind, and allows us to accomplish both

I think it depends on your formation, if you are playing with several players up front or midfield players with attacking roles then it is already an attacking formation so Balanced Mentality is enough. Going attacking with too many Attacking roles maybe too much.

Just now i feel Balanced/Positive is enough.

I have made another version of the tactic, the defence is the same but it uses wide attacking players which the other tactic did not. 
I can upload the tactics if anyone wants to try them.

i now use a home and away version, the reason being that as you play opponents twice in a season you won’t play the exact same each time you play them.

it is something like this.....

PF (Sup)

W (Att)        SS (Att).    W (Sup)

CM (def)

WB (sup)  CD (sto) BPD CD (sto) WB (att)

Gk (def)

I think both the defending and attacking movement is good but I have only tested it a quarter of a season so far.

• 2 weeks later...

After winning Division One (Sunderland) and finishing 6th in the Championship and scrapping through the playoffs, beating Stoke on pens in the Final.... here we are in the Premier League.

Look at our wage bill in comparison with any other team...

wage.thumb.png.a4e7abc797d7e1301018fafa057024de.pngcomp.thumb.png.e37b5bfd21bc9e909139c959ed310179.png

During the Championship season Uruguay sacked their manager and offered me the job, i did not want to lose my Sunderland progress so i added a Manager and took over Uruguay. i suppose Qualifying is almost automatic as you only need to finish in the top 4/5. But to be above Argentina and Brazil is a good achievement.

uruguay.thumb.png.c60ae8c94a88c19484a2c10aa3a70647.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...