4-3-1-2 Help / Suggestions

I am starting a new save with Werder Bremen and I really want to try and play with a vertical Tika-Taka tactic in the 4-3-1-2-Narrow formation, but whatever I try it seems to be just rubbish!  So any pointers (I think more on the roles than anything):

SK-D

FB-S  CD-D  CD-D  FB-S

BBM-S  CM-D  CAR-S

EG-S

PF-A  DLP-S

Play out from the back / work ball into box / narrow / higher temp / shorter passing

Counter Press / Hold Position / Dist Quickly / Short Kicks

Higher Def Line / Higher Eng Line / Stay on Feet / Narrow

Any quick pointer for me to try, I dont seem to retain possession and I create F'All!

Thanks

I am not a fan of any tiki-taka, so take this with a pinch of salt:

DLFsu    AF

EG

CAR   DLPde   MEZsu

WBsu   CDde  CDde   WBsu

GK/SKde

Given that you use a narrow formation, it's very important to have your fullbacks in roles that regularly get forward to provide wide support to your attack in its later stages. Hence WBs on support instead of FBs.

The mezzala (on support) instead of the BBM is to provide more concrete support to both the enganche and forwards (especially the AF) due to its high mobility and creative potential.

In terms of team instructions, for a vertical tiki-taka I would basically start with the following:

Mentality - Positive

In possession - play out of defence, much shorter passing, default tempo, fairly narrow width, work ball into box, underlap left

In transition - distribute to CBs (potentially also to FBs)

Out of possession - higher DL, higher LOE, offside trap, prevent short GKD and standard or wider def width (not narrow)

Player instructions:

RB/WBsu - sit narrower

STCL/DLFsu - roam from position

Again, this style of football is not my cup of tea, so the tactic I proposed above is based solely on my tactical logic (rather than personal experience from the game). Make sure you have the right type of players for this style of playing and be prepared to make small tweaks here and there (watch your matches so that you would know what, when and how to tweak).

Good luck :thup:

4312 has become my primary tactic with Atalanta. I also employ 532WB/5212WB/442D/4222, depending on opponent, situation, substitutions, etc.

I wouldn't consider my primary playstyle Tiki-Taka, although, it probably approaches that at times. This is probably the most tactically fluid team I've had in quite a while. Partly to explore what works, but also because I've found it necessary at times. My "primary" setup is pretty close to what @Experienced Defender defender listed above, with slight differences...

TM(s)*  AF-A(s)*

???**

B2B(s)/Mezzela(s)     DLP-D***     B2B(s)/Mezzela(a)

WB(a)     BPD(d)     BPD(c)     WB(s)

SK(a)

* - I usually deploy my 3rd striker as a CF(s)/(a) depending which spot he's playing.  All three have had a great first half of the season, hoping it continues.

** - I've tried a few things, with underwhelming results, but haven't gotten to enganche yet, so maybe that's the answer. 

*** - I've emphasized DLP-D because I think it's crucial in the middle of that CM trio. Tactically, it's what makes the most sense, but the few times I've tried anything else it just hasn't worked anywhere near as well. It also allows for a fairly seamless transition to 442D, if the other team is using an AMC and I'm having trouble "controlling" the game. Tonali is my first choice here and he pretty much runs things.