[FMT20] The Return, a Journeyman

MarcxD

Fall - Winter 2027-2028

fall-2027

Only the one loss in the league in the first half of the season.
fall-2027-cl-group

fall-2027-bdo

fall-2027-wpoty

fall-2027-world-toty

winter-2028-departure

I did not sign any players in January but I did sell Alli, he hadn't really featured regularly for the last 18 months or so.

winter-2028

We continued just as we left 2027 off...

winter-2028-table

Even though we are doing really well, the lead is not that big, Chelsea having an impressive season. I do think we are very much favorites to retain the title if we can keep it up with the CL knockout games coming.

Spring 2028

spring-2028

spring-2028-cl-final

We did it! 

I would say we were lucky with the draws in the CL, facing Club Brugge, Ajax, Porto and then Marseille to win the thing.

spring-2028-table

We also comfortably won the league. Apart from missing out on the cups this was a magnificent season and a good way to leave.

spring-2028-squad

spring-2028-moty

spring-2028-sheet

spring-2028-resigned

Let's see what will turn up next. Barcelona has offered me the job but I won't go back to Spain already, besides that would be a bit of a cheat move.

Summer 2028

summer-2028-job-offer

As I stated above, Barca offered me the job, but I opted not to go there.

summer-2028-cska-1

summer-2028-cska-2

I opted for CSKA Moscow, as they were one of the few other teams I could join at this time within the limitations of the save, and they have a pretty good starting point, with a transfer budget of 20M+ and a lot of room in the wage budget, I can transform the squad to my wishes; they have been more of a subtop team in the league but with a bit of luck I think we could challenge for the title pretty soon.

Also, I have barely ever managed in Russia so that should be interesting.

I start out with a 2-year contract, depending on how it goes I might already leave after that time is up, of course if I'm too optimistic I'll stay for a few years longer - or if I feel I can take the team somewhere in continental football.

summer-2028-transfers

In Russia you can have 8 foreigners in the match squad, so I got rid of some of the older foreign players, got a few in of myself and otherwise looked for Russian players to bolster pretty much all positions.

summer-2028

The Russian league starts early but has a long winter break so we already played quite a few games while going through the qualifiers for the Europa Conference League. A very smooth start in the league, but almost surprised by HNK Gorica in the final playoff. 

summer-2028-league-table

Definitely a battle of the Moscow teams as Zenit is already dropping a crazy amount of points. We are in for a title race immediately, if this continues.

summer-2028-ECL-draw

We should probably progress together with Athletic; interesting to see TNS progress to the group stage here.

• 2 weeks later...

Fall 2028

Getting back to it, was ill last week (potentially the C or just the flu) and busy with work. Actually most busy today finishing stuff before easter weekend but well sometimes you just need to play some FM.

fall-2028

We've been doing very well in the league, and pretty decent in Europe as well - although the Athletic losses show a European run is going to be tough this year.

fall-2028-ECL-group

fall-2028-league-table

Moscow teams worth keeping an eye on, but if we can keep on like this a title in the first season should be straightforward.

Winter 2029

winter-2029-departures

Two sales...

winter-2029-signings

Which left enough room in the budget to spend big on one player. Decided to go for a relatively young Portuguese midfielder.

winter-2029-signing

His combination of technique and vision with great teamwork/work rate was really the reason I wanted to sign him.

winter-2029

Scraped past two European opponents in the Conference League... up next is Athletic again. Let's see if we can do better than in the group games. Still doing decently well in the league but we had our first loss and our wins aren't that convincing.

winter-2029-table

Still, though, only Dinamo is a rival for the title.

14 hours ago, john1 said:

Good to see you have recovered :thup: Interesting move to Russia but I would have taken it as well if I was in your shoe. Good signings especially Luis Diogo.

Thanks mate. It's been fun so far in Russia, although a little bit easier than I would've thought.

Spring 2029

spring-2029

spring-2029-table

spring-2029-title

spring-2029-cup

It actually was pretty close, as we dropped a few points in the last months and Dinamo had a strong run. We were just strong enough, though. Also won the cup for a full domestic haul in my first year here.

I have not decided yet how long I will stay here. At least one more year as that is how long my contract runs. It will depend on how we do in Europe -- I can try to build CSKA into a European competitor, but I also need to think about the other leagues I need to win.

spring-2029-squad

spring-2029-sheet