A Contract Idea for future FM releases, from a dedicated FM fan since 2011

big_boi97

Hi guys, I am a dedicated fan and have played Fm ever since FM 2011 which I loved loads.  I continued every year getting the new game which I do also love (FM 2020). 

I would not call myself a football fan, in real life.  I am just a fan of the best players in the world, such as Messi and Ronaldo.  They are my two favourites.  Ever since FM 2011, I always played a manager career with either Barcelona or Real Madrid, so that I could use one of these players (and on a couple releases, I even had 2 seperate seasons with both teams).  I do this as it is the most fun for me, I am thinking players of the Messi and Ronaldo calibre, will maybe not be available in future FM releases (after they retire).  Yes I do know there are regens, but the more and more I played FM over the years.  I played less and less seasons.  That is not to say because I was enjoying it less, actually I would say because I enjoyed it more. 

When I was new to FM, I would often play maybe 10-15 seasons with 1 team, and in the 1 year of me playing the game, I probably played over 20 seasons (with about 2 or 3 teams).  But in the last few years, I have always been completing about approximately 5 seasons or maybe a bit less.  The main reason for this is my detail level.  As I said because I am enjoying the game so much more, I play it to a more detailed level and I am not able to get through maybe 50 or 75 seasons as I do see some players do on Youtube.  Also in the beginning of me playing the game, I enjoyed getting to a point where most real players have retired and there are many regens in my game world.  Now I am the opposite, I more enjoy playing with the real players.  So yeah because of the time it takes me to play my matches, and that I never skip my games with Instant Result (something I use to use loads in my first years of playing) this is the main reason why I complete less seasons now.

Now my new idea for future FM releases is involving contracts, not all players contracts, but the contracts of the players who are getting the highest wages.  In particular I am writing this thread about Messi and Ronaldo.  I play the game with the Pound Sterling currency.  Now at the start of the game, Messi is getting £1.200000 per week (1.2 Million).  Ronaldo is getting £950000 per week (950 thousand). 

Now yes I know these wages are ridiculous, and if you have never ever managed Messi or Ronaldo in FM, you have most probably never ever seen wages so high for a single player.  I do know that these amounts of wages, can easily cover 3 or 4 great players.  But as I said in the title, I am here to talk about the contracts of Messi and Ronaldo.

Please bare in mind I have not managed Ronaldo in FM 2020, as I am Barcelona.  But I am still guessing that the problem exists in Juventus (Zebre).

When I try to renew the contract of Messi, the most money my board will allow me to pay him per week is £650000 (650 thousand) per week.  He is not happy with taking such a massive pay cut (the amount my board will let me offer him is going to be £550000 (550 thousand) less than what he gets.  This makes it very difficult to renew his contract, but not impossible. 

Now in my first years of playing FM, I never ever experienced problems like this.  Why?  Because back then, the wages of Messi and Ronaldo in real life were not ridiculous.  Don't quote me on this, but my guess is that in my first years of playing FM (FM 2011 - FM 2015) the contracts of messi and Ronaldo were much more reasonable at the start of the game.  They was probably getting somewhere between 250000 and 450000 (450 thousand max) and back then it was much more easier to renew their contract, you could probably easily offer them a 100 thousand pay rise without any problems. 

Now I think these contract problems probably started in approx FM 2016.  I'm not exactly sure when, but I have just experienced it happening to me in the last few years of me playing FM.  Now as I said I love FM highly, it's an amazing game.  I just think that personally, they should change the max amount of wages offered for players on ridiculous contracts.  Just to make it clear, I am not saying that you should be able to offer a player upwards of 1 million per week if you do not even have the 1 million on the "wage budget available".  And even if you do have this amount of wage budget available, I am still not saying that you should be able to offer this amount of wages to any player.  But when you are starting a game, and a player already is on this crazy insane type of wages.  I think personally you should be able to offer him minimum 100 thousand on top of what he is currently getting.  Don't get me wrong, if I do get messi to accept the contract of 650 thousand, then it will be perfect for my budget as I will get back over 500 thousand.  But I think it is not the best in my opinion, I searched it on google and I have seen other players encountering this problem of renewing the contracts of Messi or Ronaldo.

So yes, this is my new idea for future FM releases.  Players like Messi and Ronaldo, who are getting pretty much 1 million per week, you should at minimum be able to offer the player what he is currently getting.  The only good reason I can think of why you should not be able to offer him what he is currently getting, is if your "wage budget available" is in minus (a negative number).  But if you had 100 thousand wage budget available, then you should be able to give Messi and Ronaldo a 100 thousand pay rise and offer them the ridiculous contract of 1 million per week (what ever number it is).

As I said I love this game so much, as I feel it is based on real life.  Now I think in real life, Juventus or Barcelona will not be so stern with Messi and Ronaldo and say to them we are only giving you a contract if you accept a 500 thousand pay cut.  I personally do not see Juventus or Barcelona doing this, yet on FM as manager of Barcelona and Juventus we are asked to do this by the board.

In previous versions of FM, this was how I got around this feature.  I think it was called "Dof Negotiate contract" (Director of football Negotiate contract for me).  With this option, I found that the director of football could easily offer the player a contract that was higher than the amount the board would allow me to offer him. 

So let's say for example he was currently getting 900 thousand for week, and my board was saying to me the most I can offer him is 600 thousand per week, I would press "Dof negotiate contract" and then he would sign a contract for maybe 1 million per week.  The only thing I did not like about this in the past is that the Director of football would offer him ridiculous contract bonuses.

If I did not use Dof negotiate contract for me, another work around I found was to myself offer them ridiculous contract bonuses.  So I would set the max wage I could offer which was way less than what they wanted, but if I included a yearly wage rise of 50% they would usually accept this.  But yes as I said, I feel when you are managing Messi or Ronaldo on FM, you should not have to do these type of things.  I just think it should be much more easy for the user to do the contract himself, offering the player slightly more than what he is currently on.

Now on Fm 2020, as I said I have not managed Ronaldo, so I am not talking only about Messi.  I could not see "Dof Negotiate contract" on him, so I am not sure if the feature has been removed.  However I did see a nice option called "trigger contract extension clause" which automatically gives him plus 1 year with everything staying the same.  I will use this option to renew his contract, as it seems the most reasonable to me.  But if I did want to offer him another one in the future, I would most probably have to give him a contract with ridiculous bonuses since I will not be able to match his current wages.

MESSI - OFFER CONTRACT.jpg

Edited by big_boi97

To save everyone from trawling through 1500+ words of absolute waffle, this was the idea:

7 hours ago, big_boi97 said:

So yes, this is my new idea for future FM releases.  Players like Messi and Ronaldo, who are getting pretty much 1 million per week, you should at minimum be able to offer the player what he is currently getting. 

• 6 months later...