Team Instructions for different kind of scenarios

Hi felow managers,

In my save in FM20 Im playing with Galatasaray and using a 4231 system with two middfielders and its working pretty well. Im using this system since FM12, but mastered the formation on FM19 and I know its strength and weaknesses. I have the right kind of players for the style I want my team to play. for example my two middfielders are two powerhouses when it comes to defending. defensive attributes are really important for them and they dont have the ppm like get further forward, because I want them to controll the middfield. my both players can shoot from long distance(min. 13+) so when they have the opportunity they blast it from distance. Galatasarays goal in the Champions League is to get the group stage, but I managed with this tactic till semi finals. I dont change my formation against stronger opponents, because my players are unfamiliar with another formations. I dont change roles and duties either because my players complete each other in every area of the pitch. I want to change team instructions only when it comes to certain scenarios.

Home:
image.thumb.png.db5750cd8fc2127942b13d84a8cadc92.png

Away:
image.thumb.png.08492b8dec85a695800c7e1507c3ca92.png

What kind of team instructions do you use or what roles/duties changes, when it comes to these kinds of scenarios:

• Defending a lead (time wasting last 15-20 minutes)
  • All-out-attack (you need to score a goal)
  • Stronger opponents(Away games against for example: Liverpool, Paris)

Edited by ultrAslan

Defending a lead: Work Ball Into Box, Regroup, Lower Line of Engagement

I want my team to take care of possession and minimise risk, so I switch off anything encouraging high risk actions on the ball (Dribble More, Pass Into Space, Higher Tempo and Hit Early Crosses mainly) and would pull my team out of shape (Counter Press being the big one). I tend to leave roles and duties alone unless I'm under considerable pressure. In that scenario, if I was playing a 4-2-3-1 I'd drop the two CM into DM and ensure the wide players were tracking back.

All out attack: Pass Into Space, Hit Early Crosses/Work Ball Into Box, Higher Tempo, Dribble More, Higher DL/LoE, Counter-Press

I want more risk taking to unsettle the opposition. Hit Early Crosses can catch teams out before they settle into a deep block, but if they're dealing with it I switch to Work Ball Into Box. Again, the roles and duties wouldn't change. 

Stronger Opponents: Lower Line of Engagement, Regroup

I want my team to take risks and hurt the opposition, while also having a compact defensive shape. Roles/duties remain the same unless we're being overrun. 

As @JEinchy says, a lot of it is common sense. We probably all do things slightly differently and much depends on the players you have.

On 05/03/2020 at 04:21, ultrAslan said:

Defending a lead (time wasting last 15-20 minutes)

Tighten things up a little, I want to play keep-ball here. Shorter passes, lower tempo so narrower in attack and less vertical space between DL and LoE to bring the players closer together.  I often may drop the DL a notch deeper, to remove the space behind us. Play for Set Pieces as this eats the seconds a bit, Work Ball Into Box from the 70th minute (if not already selected), last 5-10 I may switch to Shoot on Sight - blast the ball into row Z as often as a possible. Transition - Slow the Pace Down. Pressing settings would depend on the match itself, if we have been winning ball well by Counter Pressing then keep doing it - we want the ball. If it is leaving you slightly open, then Regroup. If neither one is in the tactic already then Regroup. Switch the Counter option off if there is one. At 70 minutes I set Time Wasting to half-slider, then in the last ten to full. There's probably more that i do, but on a match to match basis depending on the specific opposition and threat they pose.

All-out-attack (you need to score a goal)

Pretty much the opposite of the first one.

Up the tempo, lengthen the passing stretch the game vertically and spread yourselves wider. If the opposition are defending deep then Early Crosses can get in behind them before they have regrouped but you do need a pacy striker to get there first. If they are defending a little higher then  I would Pass Into Space as well. Go aggressive on them, Get Stuck In (if you haven't had many cards yet) , Counter-Press, Counter Attack etc etc

Stronger opponents(Away games against for example: Liverpool, Paris

As for Defending a Lead for the most part. I want to stay tight and compact. Would be slightly wider and spread more vertically so LoE on one setting higher than DL - ie: LoE Higher with DL - Standard. I would be more focused on the specific threats than a 'general' approach. Who is their Playmaker, where do their assists come from and set up from that. Definitely have Counter Attack on.

Edited by Snorks

Thank you for the advice, will try it on my save!

@JEinchy , @Snorks How do you guys deal when an opponent use an anti formation against a 4-2-31 like mines? So for example I've played against liverpool away and they used a 4-1-2-3 wide with a dm. They were very aggressive in attack with their supporting wingbacks. Would you change your formation or just small tweaks like how you explained in the stronger opponents part? How about the pressing intensity in certain situations?

I have two formations anyway, a 4231 wide and the 4141DM Wide for stronger opposition.

Against Liverpool, who are as strong in my save as they are IRL,  at Anfield,  I would go the 4141DM Wide, probably on Balanced with possibly two of the MCs on Defend duty, the other on Support. Pressing fairly high but not maxed out, Standard or Higher LoD (I have a really good DC on Cover - if he is playing I push a little higher)

Ultimately though, it depends on what the pre-match analysis tells me  about Liverpool, where there assists are coming from, type of goals they are scoring who their key players are and passing combinations.

I tend to perform little tweaks for every game depending on strengths and weaknesses.

Edited by Snorks