FM20 - Glasgow Celtic Champions

FM20 – Glasgow Celtic Champions

I was shocked to see no Celtic thread, or indeed any Scottish football discussion, so feel free to use this thread to discuss any Scottish games. It will primarily be Celtic talk though and I’ll edit this post to reflect the history and success of this fine club. Welcome to FM20 – Glasgow Celtic champions.

I initially wanted to find the Celtic thread to ask how players were setting up and utilising their midfield options. Celtic have a number of central midfield options and fitting them into 2 or 3 positions is tricky. At best it's fantastic depth, at worst it's an unhappy squad of square pegs in round holes.

My intention is to play in a similar fashion to Neil Lennon's 3-5-2. There are a few firsts for me because I've never played with a back 3 or a flat central 3 in midfield and only very rarely with 2 strikers and wingbacks. That's part of the fun. However, I am struggling to decide on my central 3 in midfield - both player choice and roles/ duties. My thoughts are that Celtic in real life are over-playing and over-relying on Scott Brown. He's fantastic and as my captain has a role to play, but I think this is in away games and tough ties not every week. I'm of the opinion that at home against the bottom 5/6 SPL teams he is simply not needed and we can be more progressive - which is probably why Neil is the manager and I'm not!

My first choice midfield I think will be Christie, McGregor and Ntcham. They are all mobile, creative and forward thinking. I just can't decide where or how to play them. Currently I have McGregor as a deeper playmaker, my quarterback. That enables Christie to play on the left as a thrusting player. Ntcham perhaps doesn't have the legs to match Christie's role, but brings right-footed balance to the right-hand slot.

Please see my attached file, in an attacking 3-5-2 how would you set up the midfield?

celtic tactics.PNG

I can provide the Rangers stuff ahah ! I notice in the new update Edouard seems to have been given a boost. goes to teams like United. 

Few years in players like Dembele becomes a good player for celtic. 

also I notice same with Ajer to prem clubs etc. even dortmund. in 3 years havent seen them in game produce any big players via youth intake. 

Edited by Gross_Ballon

By all means fire away I'm more than happy for this to become an SPFL thread. Just no Sunday talk please haha.

I do really like the look of Dembele as a (very attacking) wing back rotating with Taylor when I need to be more defensive. Bolingoli doesn't look great, he can't tackle or cross, and Hayes isn't a long-term option but will probably be my first choice for the first season.

That midfield is still giving me headache. I want to play 3 and how I see them linking up is McGregor central dropping deep collecting the ball but then turning and playing progressive passes forward. He's flanked by Christie and Ntcham who both find the half-spaces and move play into the final third where they either take long shots or play in the wingbacks or look for the killer ball. They both need to chip in with goals too otherwise it's just my two strikers. Really not sure on B2B, CM(A), or a Mez role.

Edited by ScottishPep

in fm19 I went with celtic. In 5 years was very successful including winning champions league but I noticed that the other spl teams (including rangers) did not step up or increase in level to do better in europe or buy better players. Does that change in fm20?

• 2 weeks later...

Keep an eye on Luca Connell for your midfield three, he’s good enough to play straight away and just keeps improving. 

I originally wanted to go with 3-5-2 but quickly realised it would be criminal not to play with wingers. MJ and Dembele after a strong season can walk into the better teams in England. After a couple of seasons Dembele can go anywhere. Not to mention you have Forrest and El  Younoussi. 

Edouard is a beast in the advanced forward role with Christie behind him (couldn’t replicate with Rogic no matter what). Eddy went in January of the first season for £70m + to Man Utd. 

If possible try and persevere with Bolingoli, he’s never going to be your first choice, that should be Taylor, but I ended up shipping him out to China for a healthy profit. 

I’m in my third season so will update you on my progress and transfers etc and look forward to seeing yours and hopefully some others! 

On 09/03/2020 at 21:50, Gross_Ballon said:

I can provide the Rangers stuff ahah ! I notice in the new update Edouard seems to have been given a boost. goes to teams like United. 

Few years in players like Dembele becomes a good player for celtic. 

also I notice same with Ajer to prem clubs etc. even dortmund. in 3 years havent seen them in game produce any big players via youth intake. 

The first thing I did in my Celtic save was bring in the best HOYD I could get my hands on and in three years I’m sad to say I’m in the exact same position as your save, the best I’ve gotten was a 3 star potential centre half with attributes in all the wrong places haha! 

How have you found your save with Rangers? Do you find the other teams don’t seem to raise it much and make really strange transfers? Been a mixed bag in my save so far, Rangers making some great signings (resigning Weiss was the best he’s been brilliant) but they’ve also made some really questionable signings and lose at least 8 or 9 games a season so no real domestic challenge. 

Hi guys good to see a bit of discussion! Yes Connell is definitely on my radar. I've seen in some saves he can be sold for silly money if you play him and develop him so he must have good potential 3 in midfield opens up that extra opportunity for him. Thanks. Can't wait to read about your save!

The reason I've been quiet is because I'm busy making a fantasy Scottish DB before I properly begin my game. You can read all about it here:

It won't be long before it's ready and I'll be posting!

That sounds absolutely amazing man, great work, can’t wait to get in about it! 

Getting a bit annoyed with how competitive the Scottish Premier League is. Was excited by the prospect of a strong Rangers challenge and the addition of an extra European competition potentially helping the Hibs and Aberdeen’s of the league kick on. 

I’ve just started my fourth season and I’ve lost three times domestically (only once in the league). That, incidentally, is not a brag as I am first to admit I’m not at all good at the game. My only notable result in those four seasons being beating Inter Milan home and away to get to the last sixteen of the Europa League where I was rather expectantly leathered! 

I know it’s early doors yet, I just hope the teams around me start to improve as it’s really limiting the joy. 

On 24/03/2020 at 22:09, huntelaar19 said:

That sounds absolutely amazing man, great work, can’t wait to get in about it! 

Getting a bit annoyed with how competitive the Scottish Premier League is. Was excited by the prospect of a strong Rangers challenge and the addition of an extra European competition potentially helping the Hibs and Aberdeen’s of the league kick on. 

I’ve just started my fourth season and I’ve lost three times domestically (only once in the league). That, incidentally, is not a brag as I am first to admit I’m not at all good at the game. My only notable result in those four seasons being beating Inter Milan home and away to get to the last sixteen of the Europa League where I was rather expectantly leathered! 

I know it’s early doors yet, I just hope the teams around me start to improve as it’s really limiting the joy. 

Thanks! It's nearly finished, I'm just testing and trying to sort out the last remaining complications as we speak!

I'm hoping my db will improve the challenge somewhat because as you say it gets too easy really quick. I'm hoping that by playing a few more easier teams, it will keep the chasing pack winning thus increasing morale and points. Then the 4 way championship play-off should be tight and entertaining. Still, the main challenge usually comes from the human making it harder by imposing set rules by themselves, such as giving youth a chance or transfer policy. My db (I'm really not trying to plug it) will force you to have a few more homegrown players in your squad. It might not make a blind bit of difference!

Definitely sounds good ma man. 

Know what you mean by imposing sanctions on yourself but I’d just rather you could play the game as normally as you want and feel challenged. I’m at the tail end of my fourth season and going into the split Rangers are 6 points adrift of Dundee Utd! 

Im really surprised with how few Celtic/SPFL fans seem to be using this forum. 

It certianly would make things more interesting if the AI could muster a decent challenge. That's never changing though I guess.

DB is finished. Next project is the opening post of this thread. But for now... it's game time!

• 2 weeks later...

Just onto my second season. First one all went to plan domestically - an easy treble - but disappointment in Europe as we were knocked out in the last 32 of the Europa League by Basel. 1-1 draw away, 2-1 loss at home after Ajer was sent off in the 4th minute :rolleyes:

Jeez though, the players really love the club. Bought Evan Ndicka in from Frankfurt in anticipation for Ajer going after I accepted bids of 61m from Man City and Arsenal, but he rejected them both. Edouard also getting big offers from lower level Prem sides - he doesn't appear interested in them. James Forrest was appalled when I accepted a bid from Newcastle and made me promise not to sell him. Scott Brown also reluctant to go out quietly - kicked up a massive fuss when I reduced his playing time and then demanded a new contract at the end of season. He's valuable to have around for sure, but I'd also love to play Soro and Connell more! 

The exception is Karamoko Dembele, who won't sign a new contract for me at all. Will be a shame to lose him for peanuts :c 

What kind of route have y'all taken in terms of GKs after Forster and Gordon leave? 

Given the exciting number of young Scottish players in the game this year, I did look at remoulding Celtic as a completely Scottish only challenge. Or trying to knock the Old Firm off their perch with one of the Edinburgh teams or Aberdeen/Motherwell. With the latter, signing young Scots will be tougher as budgets will be tight/non-existent.

Ajer gone in January second season. Sad times as he really could have led us to glory, but 67m from Milan couldn't be sniffed at. No one man could do what he did, so McTominay in for €16m as a replacement for his midfield roles, Adarabioyo in for €2.5m as his replacement at centre back. 

Except now Broony's kicking up a fuss, fearing that McTominay might replace him. Well... yep! Your acceleration is 5, face the music old man 🙄

I've been playing a Celtic save, simple to get league success but trying to get better and better in Europe. Also trying to build a team of wonderkids which by season 3 is going well.

Won the leage twice and well on the way season 3.

Season 1 I didn't get into UCL and lost in Europa league to Wolves on penalties. Second season got through CL group against PSG and Benfica (beating PSG home and drawing away) before falling at quarter finals to Liverpool after beating Zenit lsat 32.

Now in season 3 just had out best result by again getting through CL in a group with Chelsea and Benfica again. Last 2 drew Bayern Munich but won 2-1 at home thanks to late goals and then got a 2-2 draw in Germany.

End of season 2 los Ajer and Edouard to Man Utd for £50 mil each and Garcia for £22 mil (signed for free from Man City but had a release clause in contract) bought in Zirkzee from Bayern for £50 mil and he's been brilliant up-front. On the right wing I have Bellingham who has hit over 30 goals already this season too.

Still have Luca Connell in midfield having rejected over £70 mil from Wolve s for him.

701864028_Squad1.thumb.png.ca95b8473e45c2ba78e974701b1d5c1c.png

Tctic.thumb.png.5350699b2b6185b8145c1d986233ff42.png

365355355_League3.thumb.png.3a6f256e3a6529e4d189ec39fd9c6abe.png

1195176149_League2.thumb.png.3d5ba5adaa437729560fafcf4cc5fc1f.png

320478302_League1.thumb.png.67d3c1129ad4df3a94310beee2c504bb.png

293470613_Transfers4.thumb.png.5bb3214f0386db841e978ebdc4ab7605.png

114900179_Transfers3.thumb.png.537dab293cf0ecc07dcfd17f0c36cb97.png

198123370_Transfers2.thumb.png.e490acc43108103a28a2dceb366d7b82.png

1522991670_Transfers1.thumb.png.c9bbebcd14bee1a68fedab40a225ffc9.png

Happy to upload screenshots of any players if anyone wants to see how they look.

Bayern 2-2.png

So end of season 3 approaching with the league and cup in the bag and scottish final to come.

In the CL after getting past Bayern Munich in the last 16 we had Juventus in the quarter finals. A 1-1 draw in Italy was followed up by a 1-0 home win to move into the semi-finals.

We've met PSG who the year before we had a good record against. Away fixture up first and we go into a 2 goal lead. I go more defensive and PSG get back to 2-2 but I'm comfortable knowing I've got the away goals. In the home game, Neymar goes off injured before on 40 mins a penalty. Aguero sees his effort saved, Celtic go up the other end and score through Jones before a Mayer penalty makes it 2-0 at HT. Zirkee adds a 3rd before PSG get one back and further goals from Jones again and Julien see Celtic win 5-1 in the semi-final.

The final is to come against the team I couldn't find a way past in the group stages... Chelsea.

4 hours ago, Tigers said:

End of season 2 los Ajer and Edouard to Man Utd for £50 mil each and Garcia for £22 mil (signed for free from Man City but had a release clause in contract) bought in Zirkzee from Bayern for £50 mil and he's been brilliant up-front. On the right wing I have Bellingham who has hit over 30 goals already this season too.

Still have Luca Connell in midfield having rejected over £70 mil from Wolve s for him.

What kind of contracts have you got these guys on? 

I've been trying to scale up slowly - I know Celtic are loaded and have a huge amount in the bank, but I like the challenge of keeping to a more realistic wage budget than even the board will allow. Even having McTominay on 42k is stinging a bit for me 

Screenshot 2020-04-14 at 17.14.12.png

Hoping to emulate the above on my third season after a quarter final exit in my second. Got Barca in the last 16 though D: 

Did well to top the group after not winning any of the first three games. 

1188471982_Screenshot2020-04-19at14_23_10.thumb.png.52c370fad1c0b855dd2164375ad22d90.png

Loving Tosin Adarabioyo at the back - can't really slot into midfield as Ajer did but otherwise not really missing him at all. Big goal threat as well - 11 for the season so far and it's December. A steal at €2.7m.

1297689376_Screenshot2020-04-19at14_31_16.thumb.png.8603ba125c895e9b1edf67671bf6c78b.png

Lots of big teams sniffing around Dusan Vlahovic up front. Would happily take a big offer for him - good player, but not consistently outstanding.

1217325244_Screenshot2020-04-19at14_27_34.thumb.png.1be7599ae8f6daa5708cdb563999963d.png

Hope to move entirely to three at the front eventually but still too many decent wingers at the club to discard them entirely. 

235037110_Screenshot2020-04-19at14_34_15.thumb.png.63ed6c0d81dd88ee02db4c3a99c852ff.png

• 6 months later...

Hi, figured this is the best place to ask, has anyone figured out the best way to use Tom Rogic?  I bought him on one of my saves and he's driving me nuts.  6 goals so far but also tons of awful appearances where he is basically invisible.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've started a Celtic save in the FM21 Beta. I know the squad is largely suited to the 4-2-3-1 that Rodgers introduced, but I want to accommodate two strikers in the team. The 3-5-2 is always an option, especially since it worked wonders after Christmas last season. But I'm not too familiar with setting up such a formation. I've opted for a 4-4-2, with in-possession shape becoming more of a 2-2-5-1.

I'm thinking about off-loading Rogic, Soro, N'tcham, Klimala, Bitton, and some of the deadwood around the development squad. That would maybe free up the wages and add funds to the transfer budget to make another signing. I'm thinking about the central defensive area, because I don't really trust Jullien and Duffy to play out from the back. I'd also be looking for Scott Brown's replacement. 

I have started with Celtic in the 21 beta too. Playing a 4-3-3 with a defensive mid sitting behind the centre mid pairing. Two inside forwards either side of main striker. Playing narrow with low tempo and short passing. Trying  to control possession. 20 points ahead by April although only overtook a Rangers at the start of January. Reached last 16 of CL after finishing second in a tough group containing Man Utd. B Munchengladbach and Zenit. 

Signed Majer from Croatia. I would keep Britton as he can play defensive mid and centre back. Ajer and Juliet have been fine for me and can both play as ball playing CB’s. Turnbull has been better than expected and is a more than decent deputy to Majer as a cm playmaker. Edouard been great up font with Griffiths an able deputy. Christie playing brilliant in the left inside forward role. Plenty of goals and assists.

Sometimes play 3-5-2 at home against poorer teams to fit Griff and Eddie into the same side.

Rangers are a tricky opponent. Dominated games against them but failed to take chances and been punished. 0-0 and 2-2 draws at home and beat them 2-0 away in the new year game. Lost league cup SF 2-1 in a game I dominated.

An enjoyable save. Will put both into EPL when full game comes out with editor.