The Stories Forum Community/Discussion thread

Raptor

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, I'm Björn and I was born and raised in Belgium on the 24th of December 1985, which means I'm finally adult by age, and I'll become 19 this year. When I first visited this forum I've read some story's before I started one myself. I never managed to keep a story up for more then 35 post. But now with CM 03/04 I started a new story about Brugge. and for those who read it, you know that I'm onto my sixth page which is quite an achievement for myself.

Being from Belgium means that my English isn't as good as most of you write but I'm trying my best. I've been away (not dead icon_biggrin.gif) for a month or so because of some personal problems but as of today I'm back normally. I enjoy to get comment on my story's and I'm very pleased to see that people are actually reading it also.

About SOTW: I think it's a good idea to elect a story every week. i'm into the panel also and I know I don't always vote for story's that you like, but it's more like a personal choice. Still I think it's a good idea to give newly started writers a bit of help to tell them that we appreciate the work they do. That's all I have to say, I rest my case icon_smile.gif

Change always comes, whether it's progress I'll leave to others to debate. I think the main problem is that CMS has matured. Old timers will remember the days when things were looser and fresher. Back then, it was still possible to have a brain storm and come up with a new idea. They were fun to read, even if most of them didn't take off. Now we seem to have entered a "writing school" era, where the stories are excellent in quality, are all the same(with a few exceptions) I think last years ballot for character of the year says it all. Having said that, I don't think there's anything that can be done, just wait for a few mold-breaking writers to show up.

I actually believe CM/FM needs to become a lot quicker in terms of completing a season. Writing about a game already adds hours and hours to a season that used to take around 6 hours to complete, and it's getting slower as the game gets more detailled.

Hi, I'm Colin, and I'm an alcoholic.

Oops, wrong forum icon_mad.gif

I remember a time when I was a regular poster in CMS. Then I changed from being a normal Software Engineer to a vastly overworked and stressed Solutions Designer, and the company I work for (think phones, think "Broadband has landed") decided to employ a new brand of internet thought police, and my regular posting days were over. I've never had a really popular story, although I did get critical acclaim for the short lived "Who Sir? Me Sir?" which may or may not have made it into the archive, and the currently paused but long running "Hello, I'm the new Celtic Manager!" seems to be appreciated.

I'm also sigames' token Rotherham United fan. Sure, imitations pop up occasionally, but they never last! This fact is a source of amusement for the board's resident Sheffield Wednesday Moderator, as you can tell by the status... Of course, it could have something to do with the fact I keep winding the piggy bástards up icon_wink.gif

Like Gino, I'm of the opinion that CMS has lost something. However, I'm also of the opiniong that there isn't a lot we can do to change that at the moment. We just have to bide our time and things will get back to how they were. What goes around comes around as they say.

Actually I think Raptors hit a fair point. People who were around when I wrote about BPA will know that I was updating that story like 4-5 times a day at times, and it flew by, with I think all the league loaded.

With CM4 I just dont think thats possible and it does in many ways ruin the flow of a story imo. However, I can't see the game getting faster, probably slower if anything.

I seem to play 4-5 games per 'session', which can be anything from an hour to three, depending on what's on the radio, weather I'm trying to beat everyone else to listing football scores on OTF, or weather I'm reading at the same time.

That includes all the typing as well. The game has got slower - but for me, I don't go through as quick as I could. Not sure about you lot, but I always find myself getting distracted. "Oh, I'll just look at the Brighton squad", or "Wonder if any regens are in the England squad yet?" etc.

20 minutes later I'll get a grip, and get back to the game icon_biggrin.gif

*waves*

I'm Nicholas, a full-time uni student (3rd year Law) who writes stories for CMS instead of studying. icon_frown.gif

I also think CM 03/04 is a bug-riddled mess with a weak simulation engine, but since I've already written nearly 100,000 words on it [i'm several seasons ahead of what I've posted], I guess the joke's on me...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>, or weather I'm reading at the same time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That pretty much sums up the speed of the game. icon_smile.gif

I think there are many good writers plying their trade here, and I think what is being written now is a lot better than what we tossed together in the past. Writing a good story takes a lot of time, which is one of my problems (the other is not being a very good writer...)

Another problem I have is I seem to only be able to get interested in writing stories about three teams: Hearts, Clydebank and Swansea... icon_wink.gif

You're one of the best around mao so stop being modest. You have a real ability to bring a character to life, such as Stan McCabe who is and always will be a legend.

But enough of that, people will think my accounts been hacked.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

You're one of the best around mao so stop being modest.

But enough of that, people will think my accounts been hacked.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must not be reading the pish I've been writing since Stan. No really, I am only middle of the pack around here these days.

... I was worried for a second someone nice like Raptor hacked you. icon_wink.gif

I wonder if you're mibbe both trying to hard to re-capture that McCabe Magic, and also being a bit hard on yourself, cos I've read some of your stuff over time and it's certainly not all 'pish'. I think we all produce crap from time to time, it's inevitable, and when like you and me you have produced a character that is SO real, its very tough to shake that off imo.

Anyway, the amount of crap people like you, gino, displaced and me have poured out over the years here, it cant all be brilliant icon_wink.gif

I have to agree on the comments about the matches taking longer- and that influencing writing. In CM 03-04 I can usually only play two, maybe three matches a night. In CM 01-02 (using for the Lisbon Lions Challenge) I could play 1/4 to 1/3 of the season in the same time.

I'm Spurzgrrl, occasionally known as Cait (rhymes with mate), an English-born Canadian living about an hour west of Toronto. I'm too sick to tell you more than that, but I'm old. Not as old as PM, or BobBev, or Faramir, mind, but pretty old nonetheless. I reckon I can probably lay claim to being the oldest woman poster in CMS. And the youngest. And the ugliest. And the prettiest. Funniest. Stupidest. Most brilliant...okay, now even I'm bored with this joke.

May I just say that I f*cking hate having this f*cking plague or whatever it is that keeps making me re-enjoy meals? No? Okay.

My name is Glenn and although I've not written any stories for a while, I still pop in occassionally to read some of the better ones and then of course d_s' icon_wink.gif

My first 'real' story was with Brighton and Hove Albion, lasting a few seasons it saw me yo-yo between the First and Second Division before the save game was corrupted. After that, I've never quite managed to get into a story and enjoy one... apart from the network game story with d_s which was cut short due to a save game corruption icon_frown.gif

Although I'd quite like to get writing again (not because I was ever particularly good or gained many views and replies) but because I enjoyed it. Sadly, my work committments (writing a cricket management game) have made my time too limited to do any real CM playing let alone writing.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Victor Meldrew:

My name is Glenn and although I've not written any stories for a while, I still pop in occassionally to read some of the better ones and then of course d_s' icon_wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oi icon_mad.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

My first 'real' story was with Brighton and Hove Albion, lasting a few seasons it saw me yo-yo between the First and Second Division before the save game was corrupted. After that, I've never quite managed to get into a story and enjoy one... apart from the network game story with d_s which was cut short due to a save game corruption icon_frown.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, that was good fun to play.

I used to enjoy games managing 16 teams in CM 01/02 so compared with them CM 03/04 is like grease lightening for me now that I tend to just have a few leagues running - I'd like more leagues running, but processing time is annoying icon_razz.gif My Ross County game is the longest I've ever played in game time (twice as long as my previous longest) and is probably the best game I've played despite only running Scottish league and managing one team (I'm one of those who likes so many teams I struggle to only manage 1...or 2...or 7...or 15 icon_biggrin.gif)

And I ain't going to believe anything CMSers say any more after the Euan saga - I'm going to eye up everything every one of you says with a suspicious eye icon_biggrin.gif

Hello everyone, I'm wigan. I'm from Norway, and 19 years old.

I've started writing three or four stories, but finished none, mainly because I'm lazy as ****. I always try to be funny, but usually fails miserably. Just like in real life. I also tend to laugh at my own jokes.

I _have_ actually written a CM story in norwegian once, over more than two seasons, that I posted on a norwegian messageboard, but that won't count, propably.

I enjoy reading stories here on CMS, and have done so for quite long. My all time favourite will have to be bennys Carlisle stories, which were truly fantastic and unique. icon14.gif

mao, you're pretty lucky regarding the three teams you like to write about... I only seem to have an interest in one! Have a guess who it is icon_smile.gif

Oh, I'll introduce meself, I'm Euan, I'm thirteen and am from Edinburgh. I support the mighty Hibees, though have a season ticket for Hearts for some strange reason icon_confused.gif. My two favourite stories of all time, bar the obvious Benny/Raptor/PM mold stories are Euan's Dunfermline story and mao's Hearts story. That was a classic.

CM is, and always has been slow for me. Cm 4 seems a good game as does the sequal, but since I don't have too much time (OK, that's a lie, I have too much of it!), I find it really frustrating how it takes me a few hours to complete two months or so. In the old game, I could have finished a season by then (I'm very quick at CM. I barely ever change tactics and don't really read news...)

I suppose that's my feelings across.

Hello.

I'm a former writer turned disgruntled employee for a large Dutch financial group. I have lost interest in this forum basically because the latest versions of CM have all been awful and consequently any stories about the game have no appeal anymore. I still come back here in hopes that EHM will be released soon.

Good luck with the revitalization icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by glamdring:

Just out of interest, how on earth do you come to support Wigan, living in Norway?!! Dave Whelan struggled to persuade most of the public of Wigan to watch their football team never mind fans from further afield icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bit of a coincidence, really. I've followed them since I played with them in the third division on CM 96/07. Jesus Seba, Roberto Martinez, Isidro Diaz, ah, those were the days.

Of course, everyone in Norway has a favourite english team. For me it became Wigan. One of very few Wigan fans in Norway, though. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jordivf:

So FMS it is from now... icon_biggrin.gif

Sort it out Raptor!!! icon_mad.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The header of the forum I meant... It still reads CMS...

My first post in a while, and my first ever on the new "FMS" forum.

For those of you who don't know me, my name's Iain (as the name would suggest), I arrived on the scene at the beginning of 2003, and I like little bunny rabbits and 'long walks in the park'.... icon_rolleyes.gif

Well...not quite.

Just like your good selves, I like to inform other Championship Manager fans of my progress in games through the art of story-telling - whether I do it well is for the public to decide. It is of no great importance to me whether or not my stories are popular - I write because I enjoy it - fans and followers, awards etc are the additional bonuses so to speak.

I'm currently working on a total of four pieces - the Lisbon Lions Challenge, a Hearts story, a Lazio story (the one I have enjoyed writing the most) and my newest piece based on my Eintracht Frankfurt game, which will take some time to lift off the ground.

Being in my Higher year, my main focus for the next few months will obviously be my studies, but once the exams are out of the way, I can hopefully return with more frequent updates and make more of an impact on this place...

Among my favourites on this forum are Mao's Allan Brodie masterpiece, the legacy of Belfast Celtic courtesy of Raptor, and Brian of Nazareth's journalist-style Villa piece.

icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor:

You have to admit it's funny we call this place FMS now, while the first FMS story is probably over half a year away icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

You usually get one or two based on demos of the newest game IIRC - which I've always thought is a rather odd idea, but never mind icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor:

You have to admit it's funny we call this place FMS now, while the first FMS story is probably over half a year away icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Basic law of marketing, get the name out there before the actual product. That way ppl buy it without knowing whether it's crap or not. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by displaced_seagull:

You usually get one or two based on demos of the newest game IIRC - which I've always thought is a rather odd idea, but never mind icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You always gets loads of them, and exactly two months later, 99.9% of them get removed in a cleanup operation, cos they're simply unviable.

Unviable isn't a word is it? icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably not, but what does it matter, you're a Mod, you can do anything icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

You're right though - it's always struck me as a total waste of time for all involved - when I get the new full game, I wouldn't want my first game to be one using a tiny, quickstart database and one league - first thing I want to do is see if my latest Hailsham Town research is in icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by displaced_seagull:

I'd prefer the CM3 styleee printing - but it _ is _ handy to have the option to print in HTML format as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i've never used the print in html format thingy

Aye, opening in word and deleting all the extranious -'s and whatnot is annoying...took me my whole 10 minutes editing time to get the tables in my Faroes thread right so they didn't increase the width of the post and make the thread look stupid icon_mad.gif

Archived