The Stories Forum Community/Discussion thread

Raptor

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dark_Soccer:

lol well unfortunately for Ian its not always his opinion that counts icon_wink.gif is it? icon_confused.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who is this "Ian" you speak of? icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terk:

http://img44.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Terky/kid.gif

let's see if the first one works now. if d_s is right and it was just the swear filter then it should do.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It works icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dark_Soccer:

Peacemaker started it icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think he's refering to the fact that his name is spelt 'Iain' not 'Ian'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by displaced_seagull:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terk:

http://img44.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Terky/kid.gif

let's see if the first one works now. if d_s is right and it was just the swear filter then it should do.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It works icon14.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

good icon14.gif now we all know where to go for story screenshot linkage purposes icon_smile.gif

Peacemaker started it icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think he's refering to the fact that his name is spelt 'Iain' not 'Ian'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh! icon_eek.gif

Well i apologise than Iain i must have read the name wrong sorry

i think he's refering to the fact that his name is spelt 'Iain' not 'Ian'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh! icon_eek.gif

Well i apologise than Iain i must have read the name wrong sorry<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem, just don't do it again icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoS:

Thanks to whoever was responsible for making my story SOTW. Out of interest, how does the system work?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's merely a confidence booster for struggling writers of mediocre stories! icon_razz.gif

No, I'm only kidding - a thousand congratulations on your achievement, SoS!

icon_smile.gif

To be fair, there's nothing in the title "Story of the week" that says it is necessarily a good story icon_razz.gif

To me I just consider story of the week to basically be stickying a story which has been actively added to by the author over the week in question!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

What Iain said is basically correct. I hate to burst people's bubbles but SOTW is about giving unfancied writers a place in the spotlight.

Scotland owns CMS!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always wondered if my story never got into SOTW it was ****e but maybe its just the opposite... icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

What Iain said is basically correct. I hate to burst people's bubbles but SOTW is about giving unfancied writers a place in the spotlight.

Scotland owns CMS!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always wondered if my story never got into SOTW it was ****e but maybe its just the opposite... icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being Story of the Week is simply a device to allow people to get a little a bit of the spotlight. When it was introduced, a handful of writers were the only ones getting read regularly, and new writers found it tough to get noticed, so that was basically the idea. It doesnt mean its the best story on the board, or that anything not nominated is the worst (because certain writers are not eligible for sotw as they are too popular anyway.) it just means people feel that particular writer deserves a little bit of recognition.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Educated Hick:

So, what is the baseline for elgibility? Length of time in CMS and whether one has won a CMS award? Seems logical and fair to me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope.

I know the eligibility, and I advise the panel of such, but I'm not telling you icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HD:

You have to take into consideration which halfwits are on the SOTW panel icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Put a sock in it Iain.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Just ban him, that'll shut him up icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HD:

You have to take into consideration which halfwits are on the SOTW panel icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Care to name names?

And no Charnley-esque "I was joking"s please. icon_smile.gif

I know the eligibility, and I advise the panel of such, but I'm not telling you icon_razz.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's eligibility?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor:

Care to name names?

And no Charnley-esque "I was joking"s please. icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For starters I believe the moderators are involved icon_razz.gif

and Gricehead :shifty:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am, and will admit to being, many things. A halfwit I am not. icon_mad.gif

OK - hope that the following doesn't count as drivel and that a discussion results.

I would like to get the opinions of anyone who has been reading my ESW story. What was once a labour of love is now a chore and I am finding it increasingly onerous to produce each edition. In light of this I am considering various options.

1. Can it completely.

2. Reduce the number of leagues covered.

3. Drop the Game of the Week feature.

4. Publish every two weeks.

Any thought on what would be best? Any other suggestions to make?

Please note, I'm not looking for praise but for constructive feedback to help me decide the future of this story. I'd quite like to at least see the season out but only if I can maintain a level of quality and provide a decent read.

IMO Bob, there's only one question. Are you still enjoying it? If you're starting to find it burdonsome (sic) then it's time to think about ending it. Don't let people pressure you into keeping it going for the sake of it, because at the end of the day, that's simply no use. What you've attempted is mammoth, and like all thin gs like that, it's a very tough project to keep going if you lose the glow. (My Weakest Link attempt had the sama affect on me.)

I suspect you might feel you'll be letting down the people who are enjoying reading it, but all good things must come to and end anyway icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by displaced_seagull:

Is it me or has the colour of the text at the top changed?

[/observant]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well observed. We decided the 'red' was quite garish with the new forum colour scheme and the Scotland blue fits in better icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BobBev:

OK - hope that the following doesn't count as drivel and that a discussion results.

I would like to get the opinions of anyone who has been reading my http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums?q=Y&s=21019056&a=tpc&f=97319217&m=9761921076&r=875107962#875107962 story. What was once a labour of love is now a chore and I am finding it increasingly onerous to produce each edition. In light of this I am considering various options.

1. Can it completely.

2. Reduce the number of leagues covered.

3. Drop the Game of the Week feature.

4. Publish every two weeks.

Any thought on what would be best? Any other suggestions to make?

Please note, I'm not looking for praise but for constructive feedback to help me decide the future of this story. I'd quite like to at least see the season out but only if I can maintain a level of quality and provide a decent read.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you ended it today it would still be one of the best stories the board has seen. My suggestion would be to take a break. Don't update it for a while and see if you're tempted back at some point. If so, great. If not, then pen an ending. icon_smile.gif

no, it's the secret friday that you only know about if you're one of the cool guys. icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So clearly, you know nothing about it icon_razz.gif

Archived