4-4-2 with Libero

Good evening everybody,

Lately I've been getting more and more back into FM due to the mandatory quarantine (sigh), thus preventing me to play football as I used to.

So an idea started whirling around my head, which is recreating the way my RL team plays in FM.

The main problem is that we play with a 4-men back line, with myself as kind of a libero, sweeping up balls that come over the top (which is very often, as we play in an amatorial league) and bringing the ball forward, joining the midfield.

As I tried tinkering around, I noticed this isn't possible, as the libero is only available for the central CB.

Any suggestions on how to replicate it? Maybe 2 fullbacks, only one CB as a Libero and a single CDM as an Halfback to try and make it sit back while on the attack? I'm open to suggestions, since most of you know the dynamics of the game much better than me!

Thank you for the help

The closest would be a BPDco with some fitting PPMs. The co lets him sweep balls and as BPD he is more risk-taking and can take plenty of pressure.

For the movement: 'Brings the Ball out of Defense', 'Runs through Centre', 'Gets Forward whenever possible' or 'Arrives Late' help a lot in getting the player to move, especially with a tactic that plays out of defense and distributes to that particular player.

For the passing dictating the tempo and playing long or killery are some good choices.

While the Stopper duty moves even better forwards and can create some beautiful movement, they obviously do almost none of the sweeping. 

Your L-HB combination can — with intelligent players — look good in possession but in defense it will be something completely different.

Some other weirdness might work though; this is mere speculation however and only tested in single games in 19: You play with two central defenders but use one centrally. On the 'open' flank you use an IWBs AND a DM — The IWB will almost act like a regular wingback but will stay somewhat closer to the middle to protect the open space. Similarly the DM (even as a hyper-aggressive VOLa) will also give some more protection. 

Just for context, I retrained Unai Vencedor as a Libero in my Athletic Club save, and I tried the "off-centered" 442, not yet the combination with both the inverted wingback and the DM.

As I just finished the season, I guess I'll give this setup a go in the next preseason.

I also started giving those PPMs in case other methods don't work

Thanks for the advice! I know this setup isn't easy to replicate in a 442, but I appreciate the help!