Defensive 433 narrow possesion system

Hi all,

I am hoping for some advice on how to get this tactic working:

image.thumb.png.b1fdd6dc1090e1974fbe945b321ce162.png

I have great defensive wingbacks and would like to utilize this in order to keep a rock solid defense. I also have quite slow strikers (more used to possession tactics?).

The composition of the midfield I am not sure about. 

19 minutes ago, Corperate said:

Not scoring many goals

I am not an expert in "scoring many goals" (and btw it's relative what the term "many" may mean). I am rather a pragmatic type of manager. So I can only help you make the tactic well-balanced and logically set up. 

16 minutes ago, Corperate said:

Need to counter with no wingbacks on support to deliver crosses?

Sorry, but didn't really understand this question.

You can't set the tactic up using wingbacks defend and hold shape as there is no one to provide crosses/ overlaps when teams defend deep. I have had better success with using counter attack option.

Any suggestions on how to improve the tactic would be welcome. Though is working quite well at the moment.

image.thumb.png.4cca0998d312b4c0d71259d81d11303b.png

image.png

4 minutes ago, Corperate said:

You can't set the tactic up using wingbacks defend and hold shape as there is no one to provide crosses/ overlaps when teams defend deep

Not just when teams (opposition) defend deep, but generally when you use a narrow formation you need your fullbacks/wing-backs in more attack-minded roles, simply because they are the only wide players in the whole system and hence supposed to support your attacking play in a more concrete fashion. If your fullbacks are not good enough to play in such manner (constantly bombing up and down the pitch), then you better do not use a narrow formation. NOTE: When I say "attack-minded" FBs/WBs, I do not necessarily mean playing them on attack duty, because roles such as WB on support and CWB on support are attack-minded even though they are not given an attack duty.

Another problem in your tactic (IMHO) - apart from the one-dimensional setup of roles and duties - is the use of needlessly too many instructions (tactical overkill) as well as a needlessly aggressive manner of defending.

Best tactics are in most cases simple and logical, so there is no need for overcomplication. 

I hope these couple of remarks can give you at least some basic idea(s) on what kind of changes you should make to get a more solid tactic overall. 

Try turning your wingbacks to support duty to help supplement the attack and provide width. 

I'm using the same tactic but with F9s instead of DLF and a triangle midfield with a regista instead of a flat midfield. Also playing wide and slower tempo to keep possession. I have my defensive line playing standard instead of a high line to somewhat combat long balls over the top. 

I'm interested in how your team is defensively.

• 1 month later...