How to keep a player who won't extend contract due to interest shown in him?

Hi guys, hope you're all doing well..

I'm currently at the start of a save with a 3rd division team in Italy, and I have a 16 yrs old youth player that seems to have a great potential and nice stats for Serie C. The guy could even be a sub in my first team, and I intend to give him playing time so he develops well as we make our route to Serie A in the next 4 years (hopefully!). That way at 20, he would have played 4 seasons with the first team, ready for a Serie A debut.

Only problem is when I start the game, there are already Serie A teams showing interest in him, and he won't extend the contract..what are my options? Do I will get a chance to convince him to stay? Or it is a waste of time?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think that you can do anything directly, but giving him playing time and praising him when appropriate will help- is he being mentored?  Keep an eye on him and try regularly to see if he will bite on a new deal.

We're at the start of the season, literally the first day of my save (with summer transfer on :seagull: ) and I have less than 20 days to do anything before another team poaches him. Only thing I can do is arrange a friendly and start him... Guess I just consider him gone?

I took Gateshead to the premier league and I am now in the year of 2041. On the way to glory I lost quite a few good players that way and found that long contracts if possible were the best option, obviously too late for you now. Unfortunately I had to sell some due to unhappiness in regard to interest and me rejecting bids, it takes a while to make them happy again so not always worth it if the bid is really good. Luckily the lower leagues are filled with cheap alternatives and often good ones too. One of the most important rule of lower league management, don´t get too attached to your players, they are merchandise and your stepping stone towards greater things.

It´s too late for you I am afraid unless a miracle happens, cheer up though, there are cookies at the end of the rainbow ...

Would you not get compensation for him at least if he signs for another Italian club as he's only 16? I know I signed a few 19, 20 years olds who were released by Man City, Man Utd etc. and ended up paying them sell on fees when they were sold despite signing them on expiry of their contracts with the bigger club?

Not ideal I appreciate but at least you might get something this way?

32 minutes ago, IbrahimAliMaher said:

Would you not get compensation for him at least if he signs for another Italian club as he's only 16? I know I signed a few 19, 20 years olds who were released by Man City, Man Utd etc. and ended up paying them sell on fees when they were sold despite signing them on expiry of their contracts with the bigger club?

Is this compensation rule a Fifa or Uefa one?

41 minutes ago, IbrahimAliMaher said:

150K compensation...on a budget of 2M. Not good, not bad lol

2 hours ago, AurioDK said:

I took Gateshead to the premier league and I am now in the year of 2041. On the way to glory I lost quite a few good players that way and found that long contracts if possible were the best option, obviously too late for you now. Unfortunately I had to sell some due to unhappiness in regard to interest and me rejecting bids, it takes a while to make them happy again so not always worth it if the bid is really good. Luckily the lower leagues are filled with cheap alternatives and often good ones too. One of the most important rule of lower league management, don´t get too attached to your players, they are merchandise and your stepping stone towards greater things.

It´s too late for you I am afraid unless a miracle happens, cheer up though, there are cookies at the end of the rainbow ...

Guess I'll have to get used to it...

Thanks for the replies guys

2 hours ago, gam945 said:

150K compensation...on a budget of 2M. Not good, not bad lol

Guess I'll have to get used to it...

Thanks for the replies guys

150k is actually ok at that level IMO. I'm managing a league one side in England which is the equivalent, and for a 16 year old with no first team experience don't forget that 'potential' still has be realised...depends on how his personality is and your training facilities/coaches I guess. Having said that a fixed % sell on would have been preferable, I've been done by the odd min fee release clause in this way.

Also your budget is 2m?! I'm lucky if I get 200k lol!

5 hours ago, IbrahimAliMaher said:

150k is actually ok at that level IMO. I'm managing a league one side in England which is the equivalent, and for a 16 year old with no first team experience don't forget that 'potential' still has be realised...depends on how his personality is and your training facilities/coaches I guess. Having said that a fixed % sell on would have been preferable, I've been done by the odd min fee release clause in this way.

Also your budget is 2m?! I'm lucky if I get 200k lol!

It meant 2M balance, so in the bank :lol: My transfer budget is 400K euros, but it's a club that was last season in Serie B (D2) so it explains it.

And btw thanks for the implicit advice! I'm just gonna try to sell him at 150-300K with a %sell clause, that would be better than having him get poached... Let's hope the guy confirms his potential!

• 4 weeks later...

If he wants to leave, he wants to leave. It's highly unlikely you'll persuade him to stay.

I'm at Bishop's Stortford in the Southern League Premier Division on FM18 and approaching the end of my fourth season. We are likely to finish as champions and win promotion to National League North/South at the fourth attempt.

In the second season I had a left back come through the youth intake who was good enough to go straight into the first team squad. By the time the third season started he was first choice. This season he is refusing to renew his contract, essentially saying we aren't good enough. I'm resigned to losing him at the end of the season, especially as League Two clubs Lincoln City and Morecambe are interested and I had earlier rejected a £1,900 bid from another League Two side Grimsby Town back in the January window.

Looks like I found a way to keep the guy lol

Basically just bought time, when offers came in, i answered at the last possible time and with a counter-offer not too big to refuse directly and not too small to accept it also. Then, end of the window transfer, rejected all transfer offers and he accepts a contract mid-September :lol: 

• 3 weeks later...

It happens. I didn't really understand minimum fee release clauses my first season playing and ended up getting a really good player poached while I was in Championship.

Although jokes on him, I made EPL a couple seasons later and did better than him on his current team :P

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bump an old thread*

Im having a similar issue with Angel Alarcon in my Barcelona save. He currently has four clubs interested in him including PSG and Arsenal. His contract is up at the end of the summer and Im currently at the end of September.

What's weird is he's really happy, so not sure what more I can do. Im even his favourite personal and he "enjoys playing for me"!

I guess I'll have an option to offer in January, along with all the others clubs?

1511258935_Screenshot2022-07-23at09_44_04.thumb.png.3e86d9bee2301899aba977128e9081a4.png

2138005311_Screenshot2022-07-23at09_48_17.png.b09f9f92ec667a49c187c7a9ca282566.png

Edited by Luizinho

12 hours ago, Luizinho said:

What's weird is he's really happy, so not sure what more I can do. Im even his favourite personal and he "enjoys playing for me"!

Yes, it seems a bit odd; but I do have two questions for your case: (1) How is your club's (Barcelona) ranking in world football? Are you behind in ranking from these interested clubs? (2) What about wages? Maybe he thinks that he would not get a lucrative wage from your club compared to other giants.

14 hours ago, talhak said:

Yes, it seems a bit odd; but I do have two questions for your case: (1) How is your club's (Barcelona) ranking in world football? Are you behind in ranking from these interested clubs? (2) What about wages? Maybe he thinks that he would not get a lucrative wage from your club compared to other giants.

No they're not, which is also strange

1223227074_Screenshot2022-07-24at12_57_13.thumb.png.371306f9e1a832b3917e1ea7714e0996.png